Football betting adverts

Howmanheyman

Read somewhere recently about concerns of all these bet in play adverts that are wall to wall now when there's a match on the television. Have to say, apart from the annoyance of them, (especially every Cockney's hero, Ray Winstone), they really are pushing the boat with aggressive advertising and encouraging people to gamble before and during the game. Also what is a worry is that the young lad who loves football may start to believe this is the norm when a game is on, he may think that when he gets older he wont be able to wait to get his 'mobile and laptop out nah!'. It's almost like these bet firms are grooming the next generation of Gamblers as much as trying to get business from your average television watching football supporter. Obviously most of us will think it's ok to have the odd bet but I think it's went a bit far IMHO. Maybe there should be certain restrictions on these adverts a la cigarettes or am I going a bit over the top?

I enjoy a regular bet but I have to agree with you. Online gambling doesn't really have any benefit, of course there's the tax revenues from their profits but it doesn't create massive numbers of jobs and causes a lot of heartache for addicts. You're certainly right in that it's totally normalising gambling among the younger generation and I can see it becoming a much bigger problem in the future.

The one BT have in their games takes the piss, the screen splits in two as the two sets of players are shaking hands and theres Ray's head in one half with with 'the laihtest odds' telling you to 'ave a bit a thaht!'.

• 2 months later...

Paddy Power going too far.

zzzpaddyPowerOscarad_large.jpg

I honestly feel these betting adverts you see ad nauseam during the breaks are too much and now they feel a woman's murder is a nice little hook to get a betting promotion out to punters. It's one thing telling a joke aimed at Pistorious but for a business to advertise it?

I saw that advert yesterday. I honestly don't know who would sanction something like that as being in any way acceptable.

Isn't there an advertising standards authority?

I saw that advert yesterday. I honestly don't know who would sanction something like that as being in any way acceptable.

Isn't there an advertising standards authority?

I think they're reactive, so unfortunately stuff like this has to come out before they do anything about it.

I think the USA have got it right with online gambling, it's a booming industry here and that can only be because the bookies are winning. And I'd probably guess that the majority of their profits come from problem gamblers. The "gamble responsibly" stuff all seems a bit hollow to me, they want you to lose everything. I don't think we are even close to recognising the problems an addict can get into online. 24 hour access, countless sites so even if a person opts out of one to protect themselves they can sign up for another with ease

Even fruities in pubs now are targettint the hardcore gambler. You used to be able to have a daft few spins with the change off a pint. Now your change will get you one spin and it'll eat a tenner for fun without offering you a thing. Whole industry wants looking at