Newcastle United vs Southampton F.C

The Fish

Regardless of the draw I have to say that was one of the games I really enjoyed so far. Southampton play some good football and the game could have swung either way. Remy missed two absolute sitters that is slightly worrying but we played some brilliant football first half and in spells the second.

The one thing that should be said is the way Pardew set us out second half. We sat back as per trend and invited pressure, which ultimately culminated in their goal. We really should be more ruthless and play to finish games off. Sitting back, especially against good footballing sides like Southampton, is not playing to our strengths. That is the worrying thing about today and has been a problem all season. Play to our strengths and we can give anyone a game. Sissoko was brilliant first half, but sitting behind the ball neutralizes that threat.

Their goal came on the counter attack from us going for the second. :huh:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had come out second half on the front foot the game could have been sown up. Yes it was a counter attack from a free kick but they had most of the play running up to that and took the initiative second half. I know you like to defend Pardew but he got it wrong after half time. We still played some decent stuff second half and he made positive subs, but we started second half in the wrong fashion IMO mate.

I don't 'like to defend Pardew'. I've no interest in that but there's a big difference between a team going for it and putting us under serious pressure and ''sitting back''.

They brought on their better players and caused us problems - which happens to most teams. We're going to struggle and battle, we aren't Man City.

Their goal came from our entire midfield having a stroll back out of the opposition box whilst Southampton were running at pace into ours! Too many men running past the ball unfortunately

Their goal came from our entire midfield having a stroll back out of the opposition box whilst Southampton were running at pace into ours! Too many men running past the ball unfortunately

I think we were hoping the referee would blow up rather than give advantage. Pretty poor either way I suppose.