Politics

Christmas Tree

You can negotiate your own tax rate with each Canton in Switzerland. Before you move there with a net worth north of $10m, you get your accountant to speak with each Fiscal department of the Canton. They will offer various deals and rates with conditions on purchasing of assets, commitment to time living there etc. Some donations to local institutions also form part of the deal.

Swiss democracy :lol: The Swiss are utter cunts, Germans without the charm and French without the good looks, food and wine. Its a racist, self-absorbed, corrupt state of bankers.

Off to Verbier next week which will be beautiful. Got a mate who lives there who wants to leave 'I just stare at the mountain all day, its driving me crazy'. Nice for a visit.

You can negotiate your own tax rate with each Canton in Switzerland. Before you move there with a net worth north of $10m, you get your accountant to speak with each Fiscal department of the Canton. They will offer various deals and rates with conditions on purchasing of assets, commitment to time living there etc. Some donations to local institutions also form part of the deal.

Swiss democracy :lol: The Swiss are utter cunts, Germans without the charm and French without the good looks, food and wine. Its a racist, self-absorbed, corrupt state of bankers.

Off to Verbier next week which will be beautiful. Got a mate who lives there who wants to leave 'I just stare at the mountain all day, its driving me crazy'. Nice for a visit.

Aye I can't remember what the examples were that I've heard, but they vote like cunts on all of these issues as well. Basically make the same choice as the Daily Mail would.

The idiotic PM is having the piss roundly taken out of him for his nonsense about "no conversation between two people can be allowed to be private" which would mean encryption being banned.

Thankfully as soon as banks realise what he's saying he'll be told to drop it like the good little poodle he is.

• 2 weeks later...

How is that debate even going to work? The show has to be longer than an hour or two surely - otherwise they'll only get about 5-7 minutes of speaking time each.

Edited by Rayvin

It's not going to work, which is what Cameron is hoping for. A debate is much easier when you're not in power and so can take shots at the incumbent but it's a different kettle of fish when you have to get up there and defend your record over the last five years.

Ah that does make sense actually. I thought he was concerned about it just because, for some reason, he thought Miliband was going to tear him apart. I couldn't see that myself as I don't credit Miliband as being that good an orator, but the whole bit about being the incumbent makes perfect sense.

What a coward. I suppose the best we can hope for is that they all gang up on him.

Edited by Rayvin

Judging by the West Wing, it takes stupidly complex rules about length of reply and follow-up questions to get them to behave remotely like adults. I think q&a sessions on an individual basis withe deliberately chosen antagonistic audiences for each leader would work better than petty point scoring akin to the Blackadder/Pitt the even younger debates.

good read. the destruction of the welfare state is possibly the most shameful act in the rewriting of the social contract, mainly because it's lapped up by so many daily mail readers. i can't believe the cunts are getting away with it tbh.

In his bid to rip apart the social security safety net that has been in place since 1945, Cameron found the ideal lieutenant in Iain Duncan Smith. Administratively incompetent, vainly overambitious, barely comprehending his own department’s numbers, Duncan Smith was kept in place as secretary of state for work and pensions because he could say without blenching that the poor were skivers and scroungers who were overbreeding.

Remedies came in the form of the intrusive medical tests, the Work Programme, abolition of the emergency social fund and frozen benefits. We met a junior jobcentre manager, who wished to remain anonymous, in a railway hotel in a Midlands town. “Sanctions are applied for anything at all, just to hit the targets.” Officially the government denied having targets to reduce claimant numbers. “Many don’t know what’s happened until their benefit suddenly stops. Many can hardly read. It’s very easy to hand someone two sheets of A4 and get them to agree to 50 ‘steps’ towards work but they don’t know what a step is, so they’re sanctioned; their claim is shut down and they disappear from the figures.”

In an interview with the Sunday Times in 2012, Duncan Smith said he was warning benefit claimants that: “This is not an easy life any more, chum. I think you’re a slacker.” His comments conjured up a huge pool of lifelong idlers, but in 2012, of the 1.5 million people claiming jobseeker’s allowance, barely 0.3% had been claiming for five years or more.

Another of Duncan Smith’s major reforms failed on its own terms. The bedroom tax was supposed to encourage social sector tenants who had spare rooms to move into smaller properties by removing the “spare room subsidy”. It sounded reasonable in theory, but accounts of resulting hardship soon tumbled out – the family charged for a spare room after a child died, the mother charged when two army sons were sent to Afghanistan. And, thanks to Britain’s housing crisis, there were few smaller properties to move to. Of the 522,000 people penalised for having a spare bedroom, only 4.5% moved out in the first year. Two-thirds of those affected were disabled, 220,000 had children, all of them low-earners hard hit by an average extra £720 to pay per year. The reform was instantly unpopular and saved no money, as evicted people paid higher private rents, which ended up costing taxpayers more in housing benefits.

It’s just possible Duncan Smith never understood what he was doing. Never underestimate Tory ministers’ ignorance of welfare and the lives of poorer people. In 2013, Lord Freud, the employment minister, sniffed at “an almost infinite demand for a free good”, apparently unaware that use of food banks is carefully rationed by vouchers from councils and his own jobcentres. Duncan Smith sneered that the Christian-inspired Trussell Trust was politically motivated, as if its food banks handed out tins of baked beans to shame the government.

Liberal Democrats chose not to understand either. Nick Clegg voted for the hugely symbolic cut in the top of rate of income tax from 50 to 45% – a gift to the rich – in exchange for cutting the personal allowance. No one earning under £10,000 would pay income tax, which sounded good for the low-paid. But the cost was high: the £10.7bn in lost revenue could have eased both the deficit and public services. Worse, for low earners, most of the income tax gain would be clawed back in tax credit deductions under Duncan Smith’s universal credit.

But, according to the rightwing narrative, social security was “spiralling out of control”. It’s true that the budget for the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) constitutes 23% of public spending. But half of that budget goes to pensioners, a group the Tories protected for electoral purposes. Only £1 out of every £33 spent on benefits goes to the unemployed. The government’s own policies sent DWP costs soaring. More “hardworking families” qualified for tax credits because with jobs increasingly low-paid and part-time, they needed the state top-up to survive. Meanwhile the number of people in work who also draw housing benefit is set to double between 2010 and 2018, as rents rise. More than £1 in every £7 from the social security bill now goes to private landlords.