Politics

Christmas Tree

I think it's a formula they work to, and one of the big factors is something like the average of the last three months of wholesale gas prices. It'll take a rethink in the way the cap works to do anything about it. 

They should be bringing a proper tax on the energy companies in October. Hopefully that's on the agenda. 

• Like 1

@PaddockLadworth a listen. Steve Richards on Reeves. He thinks the WFA thing is misjudged too. 

It's a decent podcast tbf. Always blows my mind that he can just sit and talk at length on something in a room by himself, and keep it interesting. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

@PaddockLadworth a listen. Steve Richards on Reeves. He thinks the WFA thing is misjudged too. 

It's a decent podcast tbf. Always blows my mind that he can just sit and talk at length on something in a room by himself, and keep it interesting. 

Cheers I’ll give that a listen. Did you hear questions after Starmer’s speech this morning?… maybe half a dozen questions on the WFA. I think it’s really cut through because of the price cap increase….

7 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Yes please. Quite how they think they'll ever win back all the seats lost to the Lib Dems is beyond me. And they'd lose even more of the moderate voter type that thought about going Lib Dems last time but couldn't bring themselves not to vote Tory. 

• Like 1

Difficult to tell how much or how little of this we’re going to see in October after Starmer’s speech yesterday. I like Monbiot a great deal (even though he blocked me on Twitter after he wrote a ludicrous article about how he was always right about Afghanistan that didn’t mention 9/11) but I do think he’s a partial lunatic. It’s hopelessly naive to think this is what will happen in the next year but most of it makes a great deal more sense than persecuting pensioners 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jul/14/labour-end-austerity-tax-rich-uk-economic-growth?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I can tell you now that the NHS is BY FAR the worst I've seen it in my 23 years of working there. Patients are dying avoidable deaths due to lack of beds and lack of staff.

We can't get patients out of hospital because we don't have enough social workers, nursing homes or community carers. Patients who should be treated in hospital are sent home too soon because we need their beds, which often leads to a failed discharge and an even longer admission second time round. I dread to think what will happen if the NHS and social care budgets get cut any further. 

And this is all happening in a world where Shell made £11,000,000,000 profit in the last 6 months. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Difficult to tell how much or how little of this we’re going to see in October after Starmer’s speech yesterday. I like Monbiot a great deal (even though he blocked me on Twitter after he wrote a ludicrous article about how he was always right about Afghanistan that didn’t mention 9/11) but I do think he’s a partial lunatic. It’s hopelessly naive to think this is what will happen in the next year but most of it makes a great deal more sense than persecuting pensioners 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jul/14/labour-end-austerity-tax-rich-uk-economic-growth?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Sadly not a chance in hell Labour are thinking like this

This is Jonathan Reynolds the sec of state for business and trade in the Observer this weekend 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/aug/25/greater-trading-options-are-crucial-to-the-rebuilding-of-the-country-cptpp

Bigging up the CPTTP treaty iwith words that could have come straight out of Baddenochs mouth

More magical thinking on Brexit, honestly I despair

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Sadly not a chance in hell Labour are thinking like this

This is Jonathan Reynolds the sec of state for business and trade in the Observer this weekend 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/aug/25/greater-trading-options-are-crucial-to-the-rebuilding-of-the-country-cptpp

Bigging up the CPTTP treaty iwith words that could have come straight out of Baddenochs mouth

More magical thinking on Brexit, honestly I despair

Aye. In the article he also stresses the need for closer ties with the EU which Badenoch wouldn't do. But being in the CPTTP is a fucking nonsense which will make this harder if not impossible. 

Why don't these idiots understand geographic economic gravity? Either Reynolds is an idiot or a liar, take your pick.still early days though. 

I am starting to wonder if Starmer isn't a timid little fuck like. The free movement for young people is such a no brainer, and the sooner he implements it, the sooner a) people will start to see benefits, and b) the kind of arsehole that doesn't like it will forget. 

But he's still too scared to come out and even say aye we're thinking about it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I am starting to wonder if Starmer isn't a timid little fuck like. The free movement for young people is such a no brainer, and the sooner he implements it, the sooner a) people will start to see benefits, and b) the kind of arsehole that doesn't like it will forget. 

Aye, the best negotiation tactic is to declare to the world that one of your major bargaining chips is most definitely on the table.

You're no Darren Eales you.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The only thing I don't like about it is it is inherently ageist. But 8t could be a gateway for full FoM. 

A lot of people don't realise, but the 5% loss to our GDP is not mainly due to tariffs or no tariff barriers on goods. It's down to the economic impact of not being able to fill job roles. This is a complete no brainier, the lowest of the hanging fruit to pluck. 

Would the racists even care now? They must know the alternative is for visa for Asians or Africans to come over, often permanently. Why wouldn't you want a Lithuanian to do your seasonal work and give our kids the same chance the other way? 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the hay bales today. 

It's like the collective IQ of the board has halved overnight.

That normally only happens when I log off.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

The only thing I don't like about it is it is inherently ageist. But 8t could be a gateway for full FoM. 

A lot of people don't realise, but the 5% loss to our GDP is not mainly due to tariffs or no tariff barriers on goods. It's down to the economic impact of not being able to fill job roles. This is a complete no brainier, the lowest of the hanging fruit to pluck. 

Would the racists even care now? They must know the alternative is for visa for Asians or Africans to come over, often permanently. Why wouldn't you want a Lithuanian to do your seasonal work and give our kids the same chance the other way? 

My gran was in hospital for weeks on end earlier this year, before she died. My mam was amazed at the number of black nurses there, and my auntie (who is a nurse) was telling her that it's the same in her hospital, and the training they have isn't up to scratch. No idea whether any of the training stuff is true, but my gran was too ill/dying at the time for me to get into with my mother as to why she wasn't seeing the usual European workers. 

my mother-in-law passed recently and it was the same. the nursers were generally great, but they were all south american or african - way fewer eastern europeans than you would expect. 

Patel out of the Tory Leadership race. Votes cast:

Jenrick - 28

Badenoch - 22

Cleverly - 21

Tugenhat - 17

Stride - 16

Patel - 14