Politics

Christmas Tree

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The state of journalism in this country man.

Scroll through the Daily Mail Political Editor's tweets for the last hour and he's made NO reference to the charge from Reeves, the confirmation from the IFS, or the fact that the OBR has launched this review. 

But he's reported every cut she's announced as a result of it, obviously majoring on the means testing if winter fuel allowance. 

These people are a disgrace. 

Which makes Starmer's little Murdoch deal even more hilarious. 

37 minutes ago, NJS said:

It does look like they've genuinely been fucked over but the response is shite. 

I had the misfortune of getting an Owen Jones podcast in my youtube feed where he had the same reaction as you. What should they do? 

Labour joked about there being no money left, and the tory cunts dined out on it with their client media, including the BBC, for years. The tories now really have spent all the money, gone over the overdraft limit, maxed out the creidt cards, and signed fraudulent cheques, but they will get away with it supported by their client media. Scorched Earth policy. 

So go on then, what the fuck are Labour under any leader supposed to do when the playing field is so unlevel it's practically vertical? Your solution seems to be give the tories as much ammo as possible and remain being virtuous in opposition. 

• Like 4

My understanding is that Starmer's "deal" with Murdoch was no Leveson 2 if they don't take the piss on how they cover Labour. 

This is the first test of that. If the Murdoch press fails it, I wouldn't even contact the cunt, I'd just call a press conference and announce Leveson 2.

• Like 4

Agreed. Murdoch will be dead or as good as by the time the tories are next in contention anyway, Dacre is fucking Dacre. In 8 years the amount of people reading printed press will be tiny. Social media though, an entirely new threat. 

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

They deserved the 35% imo. £15 an hour was the number I heard that they're currently getting, so that would have taken them to £20 which is still a fucking disgrace. 

These are from my SMS inbox today… it’s a fuckin disgrace what they’re getting 

IMG_5277.jpeg

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

These are from my SMS inbox today… it’s a fuckin disgrace what they’re getting 

IMG_5277.jpeg

Their current pay is a disgrace? Or the pay rise? 

Just now, Gemmill said:

Their current pay is a disgrace? Or the pay rise? 

It’s a disgrace what they were getting, especially in comparison with the likes of me 👍

• Like 5

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

It’s a disgrace what they were getting, especially in comparison with the likes of me 👍

Ah got you. I thought that's what you meant, but I live my life by a single motto: never make assumptions about the judgement of a man that would wear a paisley shirt. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Ah got you. I thought that's what you meant, but I live my life by a single motto: never make assumptions about the judgement of a man that would wear a paisley shirt. 

First wedding anniversary coming up…. the day we play Bournemouth down here :D 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Dunno like. The World will always need light bulb changers otherwise comedy will run dry. 

:good:

Pride Spark GIF by Evann McIntosh

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Is the current Mrs PL also the first Mrs PL? 

PL and Gemmill compare divorce notes. 

1306687490_200w(7).gif.6a854c2ff57540cbaccda48ea2b01931.gif335941891_200w(8).gif.1c3989b542e19ca45cb1b8f0bd7b2e74.gif

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Renton said:

what the fuck are Labour under any leader supposed to do

A bit of Keynesian economics would be nice, especially with regards to the green economy

Seems we're in for another round of Csmeron/Osborne type austerity which worked so well last time around

Biden has transformed the US economy with investment even though their debt to GDP ratio is 25% worse than ours. We literally can print our own money But Labour are sticking to Tory spending plans. Its gutless and its madness

• Like 1

Nothing say ‘we’re chasing economic growth’ by cancelling capital investment.

Also nothing says ‘we’re serious going to get people fit and back to work’ like stopping investment in hospitals.

My expectations were low but they’ve limboed under the bar with ease. Maybe they are genuinely as unimaginative as they appeared in the campaign? 

And expecting departments to suddenly come up with savings after they’ve been cut to the bone after 14 years of austerity? Fuck off.

We have the second lowest level of debt in the G7. What are these cunts scared of?

IMG_0390.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I think they're terrified of giving the tories ammunition for the next election of them being financially irresponsible as they think that's what cost the last Labour government. They're desperate for more than one term. 

Trouble is I think it will be "easy" to argue they haven't achieved much if the reliance on growth alone turns out to be not very substantial.

46 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Nothing say ‘we’re chasing economic growth’ by cancelling capital investment.

Also nothing says ‘we’re serious going to get people fit and back to work’ like stopping investment in hospitals.

My expectations were low but they’ve limboed under the bar with ease. Maybe they are genuinely as unimaginative as they appeared in the campaign? 

And expecting departments to suddenly come up with savings after they’ve been cut to the bone after 14 years of austerity? Fuck off.

We have the second lowest level of debt in the G7. What are these cunts scared of?

IMG_0390.jpeg

Of those listed, Japan and Italy are economic basket cases, and the US is a super power controlling world currency, so not comparable. Germany have a much better debt/GDP ratio. France is comparable in some ways, but they have much, much better social provision and pensions for their money. They are heading into a demographic nightmare though sooner rather than later. Canada I dunno, they have huge resources we don't though. 

Point is you can't just look at one stat and draw conclusions. The UK economy is absolutely fucked and we're not even part of a trading block any more. We have more economically inactive people than any of those listed and worse productivity. Living standards have fallen more than all the others except the two outliers there, Italy and Japan. Maybe that's connected. 

I'm no macro economist, but I do know we are particularly vulnerable to market volatility owing to the perilous state of the economy. Truss proved this. Maybe it's as simple as introducing massive Keynsian type stimulus. If so why won't Reeves go for it do you think? I mean if it's that easy a win why wouldn't you? 

Anyway, she's announced the scrapping of one infrastructure project to my knowledge, the stone henge tunnel. Good, colossal waste of money that could be used better elsewhere. And she's scrapping non-means tested heating allowance for pensioners. Again, got no problem with that given their triple locked pensions. 

Going forward, I very much want to see large infrastructure projects that will actually boost productivity. First though things need to be stabilised. It's been 3 weeks ffs. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, NJS said:

I think they're terrified of giving the tories ammunition for the next election of them being financially irresponsible as they think that's what cost the last Labour government. They're desperate for more than one term. 

Trouble is I think it will be "easy" to argue they haven't achieved much if the reliance on growth alone turns out to be not very substantial.

There's that risk true. But also the fiscal constraints were a key part of the manifesto, so throwing it in the bin would provide a lot of ammo to the Tories, their press, but also could trigger Truss style market instability which might be quite counterproductive. This is not a reasonable time frame to make judgements. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

The UK economy is absolutely fucked and we're not even part of a trading block any more. We have more economically inactive people than any of those listed and worse productivity. Living standards have fallen more than all the others except the two outliers there, Italy and Japan.

And why is all that? It’s because of a lack of investment going back to the financial crash. It’s completely short sighted to say that we shouldn’t invest because our economy is under performing. We have to invest because our economy is underperforming.

• Like 1

What Labour really need to do is go back to being radical in opposition 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

There's that risk true. But also the fiscal constraints were a key part of the manifesto, so throwing it in the bin would provide a lot of ammo to the Tories, their press, but also could trigger Truss style market instability which might be quite counterproductive.

The markets reacted the way they did because Truss was borrowing to make unfunded tax cuts. If you have a plan on what to do with the money and the markets can see how it’s going to be returned then they’re much more forgiving.