Politics

Christmas Tree

54 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I know this election wasn't as simple as 15% of the Conservative vote going to Reform and handing Labour the win without them really making any gains... but what this data does suggest is Labour might have a much tougher job on their hands next time round if (and it's a big if) the right somehow find a way to unite. 

IMG_1898.thumb.jpeg.62b9430123e112ff82fb756d1df229a2.jpeg

i don't think we need to panic yet. labour probably lost a few percentage points to:

- the lib dems because of all the co-ordinated tactical voting in swing states

- independents/greens as muslims and the young protested against his stance on Gaza

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

On reflection, whilst the polls indicate the Tory implosion rather than the Labour explosion, I think Labour have played a very straight bat during this election. No gaffes, kept all sides quiet. There's been no big statement promises but I hope Starmer just gets on with the job of fixing the big holes in the country in the same way that he's tidied up the Labour party since 2019. I'm all for dull politics for the next 4 or 5 years if it means we move away from the populist nonsense that is gaining traction on the other side. It's been mentioned that the new government will be the most working class cabinet EVER therefore I hope we see a new kind of politics which GENUINELY focuses on bottom up rather than top down. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Leaving aside the deathly dull analysis of whether winning 412+ seats in a whopping landslide is a good or bad result for Labour ( ffs!) my thoughts this morning are so much more optimistic than a year ago. 

Just having an incoming Government that isn’t filled with privately educated, self serving cunts, led by wankers who thought the rules they came up with didn’t apply to them. 

Having politicians committed to improving the actual things that impact the QoL of most of us, instead of thinking that sending a few unfortunates to Rwanda is what we need. 

I’m looking forward to seeing some dull, functional and practical politics over the next few years, instead of the fucking clownshoes we’ve had. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Sunak made this point when he conceded. Well said ya wee useless greedy cunt. That battle will only occur if we give Farage real power at some point in the next decade 

Honestly thought he looked relieved. And it’s probably about as good a bit of public speaking as I’ve seen from him. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Honestly thought he looked relieved. And it’s probably about as good a bit of public speaking as I’ve seen from him. 

Aye, just referring to me really. Slept in until noon, just a feeling of "now what?". I've been addicted to politics for so long. Now I want that to end. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

Aye, just referring to me really. Slept in until noon, just a feeling of "now what?". I've been addicted to politics for so long. Now I want that to end. 

I hit this a couple of years back, just gave up on all of it - it's actually quite the release. 

• Like 3

I’ve just watched Starmer’s arrival at No. 10 and his speech. 
( on a bit of a delay due it being Ms. Fist’s birthday today). 

I got a wee bit emotional if I’m honest, thinking about the choices my Dad had to make at the end of his life, whilst Johnson and Sunak partied. 
Very likely sleep-deprivation kicking in too, 

Off for a wee kip, then birthday/victory party later. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I hit this a couple of years back, just gave up on all of it - it's actually quite the release. 

Unfortunately it’s part of my job. Although I imagine the new lot will be easier to deal with. I also hope we’re no longer in a position where 90% of policy documents aren’t binned because they done a u-turn two weeks later. But that said, it’ll probably quite a few of us on here to zone out a bit. Especially now those cunts are despatched for the foreseeable 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Alex said:

Unfortunately it’s part of my job. Although I imagine the new lot will be easier to deal with. I also hope we’re no longer in a position where 90% of policy documents aren’t binned because they done a u-turn two weeks later. But that said, it’ll probably quite a few of us on here to zone out a bit. Especially now those cunts are despatched for the foreseeable 

Aye, fuck the Tories. Long may they stay buried.

• Like 1