Politics

Christmas Tree

From the guardian live coverage

I’m in Burnley, in the heart of Lancashire’s red wall, where Labour is on course to regain a seat it lost to the Tories in 2019 – the first time the town had elected a Conservative MP since 1910.

Throughout the campaign Burnley was billed as Labour’s most winnable seat. It needed the tiniest of swings to sweep away Tory incumbent Antony Higginbotham’s fragile majority of 1,532.

But on the ground – far removed from the opinion polls – the mood was rather different. As I reported four weeks ago, the Liberal Democrats sensed a huge upset as it won the backing of a large portion of Burnley’s Muslim community which had deserted Labour in significant numbers over Sir Keir Starmer’s position on Gaza.

A Labour source told me earlier today that the result in Burnley was looking “close”, with Labour’s candidate Oliver Ryan on around 33% of the vote with the rest split equally among the rest.

Gordon Birtwistle, the Liberal Democrat candidate (and former MP), just told me that the result “seems positive”. He believes he has hoovered up the vast majority of votes from the Muslim community, which could total around 11,000. “I’ve just watched one box being opened when I had all the votes bar four,” he said.

Another Liberal Democrat source said the Conservatives “are doing better than you would expect” in Burnley, and Reform were also picking up votes from Labour.

With at least an hour to go until the result, we’ve just been given the official turnout for Burnley: it’s a very low 53.2% – about seven percentage points down from 2019. That’s similar to what has happened across England so far and is a story in itself.

I fucking despise Birtwistle. 

Dan Jarvis (Lab) wins one of the Barnsley seats that the exit poll had down for Reform. 8,000 votes ahead of Reform. 

Apparently Labour is on course to take the other Barnsley seat too (also down as Reform in the exit poll). 

Don't think Reform are getting 13 seats, unless they get surprise wins elsewhere. 

• Like 2

GB News reporting that Reform are saying they've beaten Yvette Cooper. Which would be one of those unexpected gains, and a proper kick in the stotts for Starmer (and Cooper). 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

GB News reporting that Reform are saying they've beaten Yvette Cooper. Which would be one of those unexpected gains, and a proper kick in the stotts for Starmer (and Cooper). 

Looks like this is absolute shenanigans from GB News and Reform. Cooper to increase her majority. :lol:

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Anderson just declared Ashfield the capital of common sense. Well apparently not arsehole. 

Edited by Gemmill

It is ALL these cunts are taking about. Labour winning seats they've not held for nearly 100 years, and the BBC is all "SORRY IM JUST GONNA HAVE TO CUT IN THERE BECAUSE REFORM JUST CAME SECOND IN BARSNLEY!" 

• Like 4

Here's Starmer. Looking like a robot with blusher on. Tremendous work from him though tbf, he deserves all the blusher in the world. 

Clive Myrie to Kinnock. Result isn't even in and this cunt's question is: "Are you sure he can deliver for the people who voted Conservative in 2019 and have come back to Labour? These people can't be let down again, can they?" 

RIP The Labour honeymoon before the results are even in. 

The political media in this country is a fucking disgrace. 

• Like 1

Laura K to Kinnock: you've won some seats in Wales, but your vote is actually DOWN!? 

Tories just came FIFTH in one of the seats she's talking about. 

• Jaysus... 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

GALLOWAY DOWN! 

Kinnock pissing himself, calling him repulsive. :lol:

Delightful. Predictable, but delightful.

Speaking of which, Holden did not look happy there at all, did he? That would be wonderful :D

I don't even like this version of Labour all that much, I could really do with Starmer just leaving trans people alone rather than piping up about them not having rights every now and then in particular.

But I am enjoying this 

• Like 2

These daft cunts aren't getting 13 seats. 

The spackas that went to bed high on a 13 seat exit poll are gonna wake up in the morning and blame it on pencils at polling booths. 

• Haha 1