Politics

Christmas Tree

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Utter bollocks as I said repeatedly at the time. 79% of Labour voters were remain. Higher than any other party besides the Greens.

And on Wes Streeting. Last time I mentioned this you told me he was playing to the Sun reading crowd with that. Now you think he's right.

I don't need a response to this, I know you're going to say whatever suits supporting Starmer so it really is a pointless conversation.

Corbyn made sure of it by allowing Johnson to win a massive majority I meant. He destroyed the party from being competitive at the time it was most vital. And btw, you may have forgotten, he was a Brexiter and it showed. 

I wasn't responding to anything specific about Streeting. But I have heard and read him say his problem is with the middle class lefties who are idealogically opposed to using private healthcare to get the waiting lists down. I agree with him on that. As with New Labour, I want us to use all available resources to improve the NHS. When they left office in 2010, it was the best healthcare system in the World, now not so much. Pragmatism over idealism. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gemmill said:

Where you off to? 

Denmark, shifting over with my partner one way or another. Was just over there for 2 months. Country is clean, modern public transport, strong welfare support. Warm, welcoming and outward looking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Thank fuck I'm emigrating from this shitshow next year...

Good for you (genuinely). Where to out of interest? Because the right is in power or rising right across Europe. Italy, Holland, France, Germany. Oh, and of course the United States. The UK might be an exception to this trend (although I know you won't accept Labour are a centre left party).

Ateod we need this election not to be about Brexit. I'm a pro-European as they come but there's realpolitik as well as domestic politics involved here. It will take many years or decades to repair the damage of Brexit. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Denmark, shifting over with my partner one way or another. Was just over there for 2 months. Country is clean, modern public transport, strong welfare support. Warm, welcoming and outward looking.

Lucky you! (Again, genuinely). I do wish we were more Scandinavian. Denmark is a bit flat mind. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Renton said:

Lucky you! (Again, genuinely). I do wish we were more Scandinavian. Denmark is a bit flat mind. 

The flatness was actually really surprising. I had heard it was but actually going and seeing it was weird.

So yeah not the most scenic but at least I'll not wake up every morning wanting to burn the country down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Class, hope it all works out for you. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The flatness was actually really surprising. I had heard it was but actually going and seeing it was weird.

So yeah not the most scenic but at least I'll not wake up every morning wanting to burn the country down.

I hope you will see an improvement in the UK over time when you visit back. If I had your choice, I am sure I would do the same. Actually, Copenhagen reminded me most of Newcastle of all the European cities I have visited. Lovely place. 

Edited by Renton

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Can I recommend this as some light viewing. Just to give you a taste of how these people live. 

Random though here. We keep hearing how Reform has hurt the conservatives more than Labour. I think in some ways this is true, but in absolute terms, I don't think it is. Looking at the graph below, at least as many if not more Labour voters have drifted to Reform since Farage returned. Difference is, in relative terms, that is going to hit the party with half the voting intention twice as much. And with FPTP, this is massively exaggerated. Nobody has mentioned this, I should be a psephologist me. As you were.

image.png.9b8386abc2ad09e95dcf61a5a3d1a8a4.png

Edited by Renton

1 hour ago, Renton said:

An interviewer managed to get that stupid junior tory minister yesterday to say she accepted her family had to suffer because of her job (she claimed to work 20 hours, 7 days a week). Nobody believes that bullshit and anyway the vast majority of us are not workaholics prepared to sacrifice everything else for our jobs. Especially the good people of toontastic. 

If you have to work those kind of hours, you’re shit at your job imo.

Apart from meetings I think I have my actual work pared down to about 16 hours a week. It’s easy because can actually do my

job properly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Galloway has received funding from Andrew Tate's brother, because of course he has. 

The irony of his comments about Starmer and Sunak being two cheeks on the same arse is that it’s far more applicable to him and Farage 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

At my new work a kid asked a few of us how we were voting? He obviously didn't have a clue as he asked 'are ukip still around?' the bloke training me said he'd already voted by post and was voting reform. He's been sound so far so it's a bit of a shame to find out he's easily conned or just a straight up racist idiot. Two other blokes said nothing but I said labour and just mentioned to the kid he wouldn't have his holiday pay, workers rights etc if that party hadn't existed and left it at that. I don't think the younger kid will vote as it happens. The daft thing is they're working at a non unionised workplace, the wage is a fucking disgrace for what they're doing and one of them is voting reform? Sometimes you get what you you deserve but you also drag others down. 

Can't believe you're still there. :cuppa:

• Haha 3