Politics

Christmas Tree

At my new work a kid asked a few of us how we were voting? He obviously didn't have a clue as he asked 'are ukip still around?' the bloke training me said he'd already voted by post and was voting reform. He's been sound so far so it's a bit of a shame to find out he's easily conned or just a straight up racist idiot. Two other blokes said nothing but I said labour and just mentioned to the kid he wouldn't have his holiday pay, workers rights etc if that party hadn't existed and left it at that. I don't think the younger kid will vote as it happens. The daft thing is they're working at a non unionised workplace, the wage is a fucking disgrace for what they're doing and one of them is voting reform? Sometimes you get what you you deserve but you also drag others down. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

At my new work a kid asked a few of us how we were voting? He obviously didn't have a clue as he asked 'are ukip still around?' the bloke training me said he'd already voted by post and was voting reform. He's been sound so far so it's a bit of a shame to find out he's easily conned or just a straight up racist idiot. Two other blokes said nothing but I said labour and just mentioned to the kid he wouldn't have his holiday pay, workers rights etc if that party hadn't existed and left it at that. I don't think the younger kid will vote as it happens. The daft thing is they're working at a non unionised workplace, the wage is a fucking disgrace for what they're doing and one of them is voting reform? Sometimes you get what you you deserve but you also drag others down. 

Well not really mate, Farage likes a pint and tab, and is a man of the people. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well not really mate, Farage likes a pint and tab, and is a man of the people. 

Makes you laugh. Doesn't take much to find out who he really is and what he's about but algorithms and biases put pay to that notion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Starmer doing his best to ensure that I don't vote for him tomorrow by saying we'll never rejoin the EU in his lifetime.

SNP it is.

Fair enough if you've got that option. Where does he say that btw? Just seems a very odd thing to say because unless he intends to become a life-long dictator it's not really in his gift? 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

Just now, Renton said:

Fair enough if you've got that option. Where does he say that btw? Just seems a very odd thing because unless he intends to become a life-long dictator it's not really in his gift? 

It's the current headline in the Guardian. Apparently attempting to reassure fuckheads that he's not going to go for it in any theoretical second term either.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Starmer doing his best to ensure that I don't vote for him tomorrow by saying we'll never rejoin the EU in his lifetime.

SNP it is.

I mean on the actual eve of polling day he'd have to be a straight-up lunatic to reopen that debate. 

• Like 3

Just now, Gemmill said:

I mean on the actual eve of polling day he'd have to be a straight-up lunatic to reopen that debate. 

So why has he then? Him saying that is him opening it up again. He's picked his side, it's that of the morons.

Labour are never fixing Brexit.

5 hours ago, Isegrim said:

Seems to be a bit of a habit by Reform this, almost like they can't be trusted? I imagine the not dead fictional person who is 79 years' old is a bit miffed at beiong confused with the dead real person who is 112 years' old!

image.png.a4ba0c3d3e741ea684852d488ad9d92f.png

Edited by Renton
  • Jaysus... 1

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Fair enough if you've got that option. Where does he say that btw? Just seems a very odd thing to say because unless he intends to become a life-long dictator it's not really in his gift? 

My wife says she doesn't think she can vote labour as they've said they're going to privatise the NHS. I just said 'no they're not' as she's obviously getting her info from corbynista Facebook group or something? She hates Starmer and Jess Phillips almost as much as the Tories. I can't be arsed to argue with her about this anymore.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

So why has he then? Him saying that is him opening it up again. He's picked his side, it's that of the morons.

Labour are never fixing Brexit.

It'll be in response to a question, surely. I doubt he's just volunteered it. 

He's carried the ming vase across 99% of the polished floor. He's nearly home and clear. He's not about to fucking drop kick it against the wall now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

My wife says she doesn't think she can vote labour as they've said they're going to privatise the NHS. I just said 'no they're not' as she's obviously getting her info from corbynista Facebook group or something? She hates Starmer and Jess Phillips almost as much as the Tories. I can't be arsed to argue with her about this anymore.

It'll be in reference to this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/12/wes-streeting-defends-labour-plan-private-sector-cut-nhs-backlog

Wes Streeting has said he'll use private sector for NHS revival and that middle class lefties are the enemy. 

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's the current headline in the Guardian. Apparently attempting to reassure fuckheads that he's not going to go for it in any theoretical second term either.

Right, so he says he can't foresee us rejoining in his lifetime, not that he would stop us joining in his lifetime. Subtle difference there. 

At the age of 61 he's probably right. He's talked to European leaders more than you have and understands the barriers on their side as much as ours. They won't even countenance our rejoining unless all parties favoured it and there was huge public opinion for it. I'd be much more optimistic about SM and CU membership, but I just can't see us adopting the euro and accepting Schenghen. My own opinion is we're not a good fir for the EU, as demonstrated when we were in it. We still need to be a satellite of it though, and the bonds will grow closer, immediately. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It'll be in response to a question, surely. I doubt he's just volunteered it. 

He's carried the ming vase across 99% of the polished floor. He's nearly home and clear. He's not about to fucking drop kick it against the wall now. 

He has not actually carefully balanced himself across this though, he is clearly on one side of it. You can hope that it's all a lie/illusion/whatever but honestly, I think Labour has decided they're running with it and it's dead.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

He has not actually carefully balanced himself across this though, he is clearly on one side of it. You can hope that it's all a lie/illusion/whatever but honestly, I think Labour has decided they're running with it and it's dead.

Membership is definitely dead. Corbyn made sure of that in 2019. 

Stella Creasy was on with Krishnan Guru-Murthy on his C4 podcast recently.

She is very keen on us rejoining but says that it is a 7 to 10 year process, and that there is way too much else that needs sorting domestically to divert the kind of resources that would be required to achieve this in the near term.

That being the case, why would you say anything other than that we're not planning on rejoining. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 2

Just now, Renton said:

Membership is definitely dead. Corbyn made sure of that in 2019. 

Utter bollocks as I said repeatedly at the time. 79% of Labour voters were remain. Higher than any other party besides the Greens.

And on Wes Streeting. Last time I mentioned this you told me he was playing to the Sun reading crowd with that. Now you think he's right.

I don't need a response to this, I know you're going to say whatever suits supporting Starmer so it really is a pointless conversation.

Just now, Gemmill said:

Stella Creasy was on with Krishnan Guru-Murthy on his C4 podcast recently.

She is very keen on us rejoining but says that it is a 7 to 10 year process, and that there is way too much else that needs sorting domestically to divert the kind of resources that would be required to achieve this in the near term. 

Yeah, I heard that as well. One of the worst things abour Brexit was the bandwidth it took up. We can't afford to repeat that again. 

• Like 2