Politics

Christmas Tree

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

something Corbyn wouldn’t condemn. Another Putin apologist 

He was seriously amateur compared to Mandelson and Blair. 

30 minutes ago, NJS said:

He was seriously amateur compared to Mandelson and Blair. 

I sense sarcasm but you’re not wrong 

39 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

There are definitely apologists for Putin on the left, but as I recall from this issue, Corbyn's stance was that we should investigate the matter through the proper channels in line with our international commitments, rather than the Tory approach of eschewing international norms and operating unilaterally, which in the end diminished our ability to do anything in response.

I remember arguing about it on here at the time and I still think Corbyn was right about this one. Mind you, that doesn't stop the guy being a Putin apologist more generally - he was.

it was obvious that Russia was behind it - an act of war on British soil as has already been said above - and Corbyn wanted us to send the Russians samples so they could conduct their own tests, basically parroting the Kremlin’s position.

The state of the two Russian goons and their bullshit about visiting Salisbury to visit its famous cathedral man. It was ridiculously transparent. The hubris was staggering but not unexpected for the reasons already discussed - the Tories financed by Russia, British newspapers in Russian ownership, the son of a kgb agent sitting in the lords and a Russia apologist as leader of the opposition. 

Putin has LOVED what has happened in the west the last few years - Farage, Trump, Corbyn - the rise of populism around the world and climate change denial and dwindling popular support for the Ukraine war effort in the US, the far right on the charge in Europe etc.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Not new but just a reminder of Laura's 'every little helps' journalism.

Remember her "postal votes are looking grim for Labour" on the eve of polling day last time around. A statement which was completely made up because they don't even get counted until 10pm on polling day.

Wonder what she's got planned for this year. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it was obvious that Russia was behind it - an act of war on British soil as has already been said above - and Corbyn wanted us to send the Russians samples so they could conduct their own tests, basically parroting the Kremlin’s position.

The state of the two Russian goons and their bullshit about visiting Salisbury to visit its famous cathedral man. It was ridiculously transparent. The hubris was staggering but not unexpected for the reasons already discussed - the Tories financed by Russia, British newspapers in Russian ownership, the son of a kgb agent sitting in the lords and a Russia apologist as leader of the opposition. 

Putin has LOVED what has happened in the west the last few years - Farage, Trump, Corbyn - the rise of populism around the world and climate change denial and dwindling popular support for the Ukraine war effort in the US, the far right on the charge in Europe etc.

I can't get my head around all of the far-right gobshites slamming people like Corbyn with Putin's cock in their dick holster. Calling one man a commie while at the same time praising a very literal communist is fucking mental. Corbyn is/was a commie like, so they weren't wrong on that front, but still...

43 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Putin has sponsored most of what happened in the West the last few years, let alone loved it. But that doesn't change the fact that there was an established due process for how we should have handled that situation, Corbyn advocated that we engage with it, and everyone railed against him because Britain should apparently be able to flout international agreements and norms whenever it feels like it.

It's an indefensible position for anyone who considers themselves to be an internationalist.

This is what he said in Parliament:

“I think obviously the government has access to information and intelligence on this matter which others don’t; however, also there’s a history in relation to WMD and intelligence which is problematic to put it mildly.

“So I think the right approach is to seek the evidence; to follow international treaties, particularly in relation to prohibited chemical weapons, because this was a chemical weapons attack, carried out on British soil. There are procedures that need to be followed in relation to that.”

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

There are definitely apologists for Putin on the left, but as I recall from this issue, Corbyn's stance was that we should investigate the matter through the proper channels in line with our international commitments, rather than the Tory approach of eschewing international norms and operating unilaterally, which in the end diminished our ability to do anything in response.

I remember arguing about it on here at the time and I still think Corbyn was right about this one. Mind you, that doesn't stop the guy being a Putin apologist more generally - he was.

Actually I think it was fairly obvious who was to blame. You are right as far as the facts as they were available at the time. But it was typical of his naivety and stupidity and a typical own goal that alienated loads of people. He was a shite leader of the opposition and this was another prime example tbh 

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Actually I think it was fairly obvious who was to blame. You are right as far as the facts as they were available at the time. But it was typical of his naivety and stupidity and a typical own goal that alienated loads of people. He was a shite leader of the opposition and this was another prime example tbh 

It's not even about whether it was obvious or not, it's about Britain following the processes it signed up for. I think even Corbyn knew it was Russia, he was just keen that we did things by the book. Which we should have, and in almost any other situation everyone on here would be crying out for. It's only different in this case because you all hate the guy.

Corbyn being right about this one thing doesn't make him a good leader, it doesn't absolve him of everything else. I just find it incredible how selective people can be about things like this at times. How often were we blasting the Tories for throwing out due process and procedure in a number of other circumstances? It felt daily at one point.

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's not even about whether it was obvious or not, it's about Britain following the processes it signed up for. I think even Corbyn knew it was Russia, he was just keen that we did things by the book. Which we should have, and in almost any other situation everyone on here would be crying out for. It's only different in this case because you all hate the guy.

Corbyn being right about this one thing doesn't make him a good leader, it doesn't absolve him of everything else. I just find it incredible how selective people can be about things like this at times. How often were we blasting the Tories for throwing out due process and procedure in a number of other circumstances? It felt daily at one point.

It’s not really worth getting into tbh. I do take the point actually. But, at the same time, if he thought it was Russia and it looked like it was (and of course it turned out to be) then it’s the sort of pointless, damaging (as far as votes were concerned) pedantry he was absolutely fucking typical of. You might say he won the argument 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Alex said:

It’s not really worth getting into tbh. I do take the point actually. But, at the same time, if he thought it was Russia and it looked like it was (and of course it turned out to be) then it’s the sort of pointless, damaging (as far as votes were concerned) pedantry he was absolutely fucking typical of. You might say he won the argument 

It's not worth getting into indeed.

Just now, Rayvin said:

It's not worth getting into indeed.

It’s not, mate. And I have genuine mixed feelings about Corbyn. He was well meaning, had good policies and was definitely stitched up by the media. He has many faults too. I kind of hate what he was responsible for more than him though 

Fully agree on following international law, but I'm not sure what protocols there are to follow for intentional nerve-poisoning of citizens from foreign spies? Putin was mockingly taking the piss at the time iirc. It does highlight Corbyn's extreme naivity and his never ending capacity to be a useful idiot. Fortunately Starmer is much more savvy in the main. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I'm only 5'7" and I am fairly confident I am taller than him.

Can't believe you just admitted to be being shorter than famously diminutive Tom Cruise.

• Haha 2