Politics

Christmas Tree

36 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

He'll do what he did as an MEP. Turn up for less than half the votes, but get on telly loads and clip up the odd question in Parliament for his social media. 

I don't know what the requirement is for minority parties to have representation on committees, but he could definitely be a grandstanding cunt in the manner of MTG if he finds his way on to any of them. 

I don’t think he’d be interested. Being on a select committee would be too much like hard work. But it’s done on proportion of seats anyway. If Labour have a huge majority, as expected, they may allow more diversity in terms of other parties having more than their fair share if you like. But as 1/650th of MPs, Reform would have no right to his being a member of one. Let alone a chair of one. Chairs are also, by convention, meant to be representative of the amount of seats parties have. He could make a case for being a representative on one such committee. But his party in the commons (should he by the sole mp) would have much less of a case to argue this than even, say for example, Plaid or the DUP. 

• Like 3

He'll come under too much scrutiny as the leader of the official opposition imo. There's skeletons in his closet that decent investigative reporters will expose and it'll finish him. 

Also, I still think his appeal has a ceiling which is currently way below what's required to ever become PM. Which, if you're opposition leader, is your end goal. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

A who's who of cunts in this thread.

Where’s a suicide bomber when you need one? 

3 hours ago, Alex said:

If he’s arsed enough then his next quest could be PR. It’s the only way Reform become a force. I think he’ll go back to the sidelines (possibly USA) after the election though. You’re right about his being dangerous and indulged though. Like the lesson should’ve well and truly been learned. This is where I agree with SpongeBob and Rayvin about the dishonesty re: Brexit. Because in the case of Farage, he should be hauled over the coals for the pup he sold. Then taken to task about his inevitable ‘version of Brexit’

The problem is a good proportion of the pro-Brexit gammons are blaming the Tories for not delivering the Brexit they (thought they) were promised. Sadly, they see Farage as the saviour who actually will deliver it ... because they are THAT fucking thick!

As someone said the other day, his role in UK politics is nothing more than a 'spoil'. If he actually got elected he wouldn't know what the fuck to do. Amounts to nothing more than a comedy act which, when you consider the state of the country, is quite fucking tragic really.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

It’s looks like a huge section of the Conservative Party have shown their true colours and have migrated to Reform.

i suspect some of right centre might also vote for them in protest over their disaster of a party as well. What a mess.

Labour are playing everything safe in the lead up to this. They don’t particularly impress me but I hope it’s just a play to get into power. 

I'd like to see the ages of those jumping ship.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'd like to see the ages of those jumping ship.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/voting-intention?crossBreak=5064

This doesn't give you the age of those leaving the Tories to vote for them, but it shows you the splits across age groups if you play with the graphs. 

There's a surprising number of young people voting for them - 15% of 18 to 24 year olds with a big spike in recent weeks. The Tories only get 7% of the same age cohort. 

• Like 1

Reform are essentially just killing the conservatives as a parliamentary force. In return for one seat. I can live with that. They’re fucking horrid but it is what it is. It’s a quirk of FPTP and might even be the beginning of the much needed electoral reform process. The other thing about Reform is that they’re a protest vote for the disaffected. If they merge with conservatives they lose that dubious appeal and what does Farage have to offer? 1 seat? If you join the two parties together you lose support imo. You don’t combine the two. If you’re still voting Tory at this point then Reform holds little appeal. And vice versa. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Meenzer said:

I was hoping that would just lead to a blank page, Len Shackleton-style.

Tbf, the Lib-Dems seem to have a similar strategy of not having a strategy. Not really a dig as it’s a legitimate one in this most bizarre of general election campaigns. I think for similar reasons. They’re likely to make gains from the Tories because of Reform as much as anything else. 

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of moaning about taxing people.

Am I being stupid, or to have functioning public services we need to be taxed.  The taxes need to come from the right area's.  For years the rich have had it well fucking easy IMO and its about time they got taxed correctly, especially the uber wealthy.

It always makes me angry when I go to Europe and see clean streets etc.  Angry because that's what we want and it's what we all want.  Clean, well maintained infrastructure.  On my commute to Harrogate you can't see street signage because they're either fucking filthy or overgrown with vegetation. In some area's you can't see the fucking pavement because of overgrown vegetation.  The outer ring road of Leeds flooded a month or so back because of heavy downpours.  It was shut for a day as they had to pump out the water.  All because of years of lack of maintenance.  You can't see the kerb because they haven't been swept in years and the gullies are full of shit. 

I know I have ranted about this before, but that's IMO not LCC fault due to over a decade of Tory cuts.  Is sweeping the road a priority over say keeping an old peoples home open?  But then they sub-contract a load of highways stuff out to rich cunt private firms how sit back and count their brass.  

It fucking boils my piss.  If you want a proper functioning society, it needs to be paid for by someone and that's through taxes.  Yet it seems like entitled rich cunts thinks Barbara who works two jobs to make ends meets should be the ones paying for it and not them.

My wife and I are lucky to be in well paid jobs and I am happy to pay my way.  IMO It's how it should be!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

https://open.substack.com/pub/iandunt/p/hidden-in-the-manifesto-labours-war?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android&r=172g

This from Ian Dunt is excellent. It starts off pretty pessimistic, but the stuff about Starmer and the way he intends to govern is, imo, very heartening. 

So what he is saying that he is the centre of the wheel so all the spokes join up

6e7754dd-f356-470c-837f-44b3d7605d4a.thumb.jpg.20328d98964583d52db19055c4ccd73a.jpg

How very Dan Ashworth

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

So what he is saying that he is the centre of the wheel so all the spokes join up

6e7754dd-f356-470c-837f-44b3d7605d4a.thumb.jpg.20328d98964583d52db19055c4ccd73a.jpg

How very Dan Ashworth

FINE! 

Wallow in your cynicism and misery! 

• Haha 3

Spent the day today in the ED of the RVI for my mum. It was like ER from the 90s. Trolleys everywhere, a mix of overdose, alcohol withdrawals, heart attacks, mental illness, people dying. I was there for 10 hours* before they decided to admit my mum, at which point I left to get some rest before the diagnostic merrygo round continues tomorrow as my mum slowly dies (as we all do). 

Why am I saying this in a politics thread? I dunno, I used to collaborate with that same department a decade ago. It was never stressed like that. The amazing thing today was underneath the chaos you could see order, and compassion, but people are firefighting against a broken society. The staff, well you know, you're a better man than me Gunga Ding. NHS staff always amaze me. 

Farage is quite open about destroying the NHS. That, and some other public services we have, are the only things that make this place more bearable than the States (who have higher salaries to [not] compensate). The man is a fucking fraud, an obvious fucking charlatan. 

Know what my mum said when I was driving her over? "I was listening to the BBC this morning, Farage was on, and he made some good points son, you should listen to him" . Life long Labour supporter. 

* Without any fucking internet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Looks like they've finally realised they need to take the fight to Farage. They'll be at war with one another now too cos Jenkyns etc will see this as an opportunity to get Reform voters back onside if she has a go at Cameron etc. 

• Like 2