Politics

Christmas Tree

3 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to a Tory wipeout as much as anyone.....but 

GP8pT0JXYAAUfxV.thumb.jpeg.246c5fa2ab14b2651ec727c24bf9974b.jpeg

sigh

Was ti be expected. I think the general mood in the UK doesn’t allow a reverse of this terrible decision being brought to the table.

Even saying that they are open to a return to the EU would be a bramblesque own goal.

You will have to wait and see how things will develop when you realise that you won’t get certain freedoms back unless you do rejoin. Not because of a punishment but because it is impossible for the EU to grant too favourable bilateral agreements to outsiders whoever they are, especially after the recent elections.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to a Tory wipeout as much as anyone.....but 

GP8pT0JXYAAUfxV.thumb.jpeg.246c5fa2ab14b2651ec727c24bf9974b.jpeg

sigh

Out of interest, what's your issue with this? We've all known that CU, SM, and FoM are off the table for this electoral cycle at least (in reality the EU would never entertain it anyway), so what makes you sigh? 

I think we will rejoin the SM and have some form of FoM in the next decade (not bothered about the CU). We won't rejoin in my lifetime though. Given some of the right wing movements in the EU at the moment, this might be for the best anyway. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Out of interest, what's your issue with this? We've all known that CU, SM, and FoM are off the table for this electoral cycle at least (in reality the EU would never entertain it anyway), so what makes you sigh? 

I think we will rejoin the SM and have some form of FoM in the next decade (not bothered about the CU). We won't rejoin in my lifetime though. Given some of the right wing movements in the EU at the moment, this might be for the best anyway. 

My problem is it's dishonest. 70% of people know Brexit is a disaster and none of the other 30% would vote Labour anyway. Make Brexit work is a lie. It just makes me utterly depressed to see the lie written into the manifesto

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

My problem is it's dishonest. 70% of people know Brexit is a disaster and none of the other 30% would vote Labour anyway. Make Brexit work is a lie. It just makes me utterly depressed to see the lie written into the manifesto

"Make Brexit Work the best it can" maybe? It's a complete shit show and I want the damage reversed as soon as possible. Make no mistake though, we are finally getting the only Brexit benefit, the wipeout of the conservative party. I'd rather not jeopardise that for the next 3 weeks. 

You don't get a Tory wipeout if you try to relitigate Brexit. And think of the time that Brexit burnt last time around. You'd get nothing else done and you'd lose the next election. 

It's just not an argument for the here and now. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Renton said:

Just listening to Starmer here. Does anyone know what his Dad did for a living? 

I think he was a tool maker. I am slow on the uptake though, so I may be wrong.

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I was listening to Ed Davey get interviewed  on the News Agents and it was hard to disagree with most of what he said. I'm probably more aligned with their policies on tax, smoking, the NHS etc than I am with Labour 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

It’s an election campaign, mate. It’s bollocks and if Labour want the sort of growth that’ll allow the public spending they desire, then they’ll have to accept Brexit won’t work. And subsequently ally more closely with the EU. But they can’t just come out and say that because it’ll cost them a landslide victory. No one actually sticks to their manifesto either. Events overtake things. I do know where you’re coming from. And it is depressing. But it’s also not the set in stone, this will never change position you seem to think it is. The public mood is shifting and you’re looking at a Parliament with about 5/6s of the MPs who were pro-remain. Also, as Renton points out, we can’t just say we want to rejoin and then the EU will let us 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I was listening to Ed Davey get interviewed  on the News Agents and it was hard to disagree with most of what he said. I'm probably more aligned with their policies on tax, smoking, the NHS etc than I am with Labour 

I’d probably vote Green or Lib Dem if we had PR. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

WE HAVE CROSSOVER! 

A bit worried at how low Labour are in that poll. Definitely don't want reform getting any more support. Nearly one in five voters is a gullible racist prick is my message from this. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Renton said:

A bit worried at how low Labour are in that poll. Definitely don't want reform getting any more support. Nearly one in five voters is a gullible racist prick is my message from this. 

It's one poll and it's a big outlier. YouGov changed their methodology last week and it's been hoying out odd results every since - old methodology would have had Labour's lead closer to 25, not 19. 

Could be that yougov have fucked their own polling results with their methodology change.

Hopefully. 

Watched a small bit of the debate. What I don't get is why all the Tories are interested in is attacking Labour. Mordaunt is like Rayner's stalker here. Labour are gone now, the Tories have already lost. But reform is an existential threat, and they won't lay a glove on them. Why? 

14 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Aye, there was an interview with a fisherman stop on a quayside with a building behind him, with a plaque saying 'Built using EU funded money' saying

'We have the EU ever done for us apart from red tape and H&S rubbsih?' :lol: 

YARN | Apart from the education, sanitation, medicine, and roads ...

• Haha 1