Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

Is Le Pen getting in then?

What do the survey nerds say?

It’s a parliamentary election, not a presidential one.

It could certainly weaken Macron but he can’t stand in the next presidential election so only has two and a bit years left.

A lot more people will vote in these elections than the European elections. I’m a plastic frog as I have citizenship via marriage and I’ll vote in these even though I didn’t bother voting in the European elections yesterday.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Full version. 

:lol:

The cunts. Only strategy is to ignore the question, lie, double down on the lie, triple down on the lie etc. The sooner they go extinct the better.

• Haha 4

On 06/06/2024 at 13:03, Gemmill said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-election-candidate-quits-after-32972622

Tory candidate, a primary school governor and magistrate has to withdraw for having terminally shit patter. It's not even offensive, it's just complete dogshit. :lol:

There'll be loads more of this to come. They were still 100 candidates short at the end of yesterday. 

Used to work with a bloke who thought asking a lass "Ever had your breasts weighed?" then miming groping them while shouting "Wheeeeeeey" was the best chat up line.

Same vibes

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Used to work with a bloke who thought asking a lass "Ever had your breasts weighed?" then miming groping them while shouting "Wheeeeeeey" was the best chat up line.

Same vibes

Reminds me of one of the very few stags I attended. One of the lad's "tricks" was to say to a buxom lass "I bet you 50p I can make your tits jiggle without touching you". When the lass said "Eeeeeh, I bet you can't" he'd reach out and with both hands and grope the poor lasses tits. Then say "You win, here's 50p".

I hope one day he gets his comeuppance.  

• Jaysus... 1

I know it's not as simple as Reform voters switching to the Tories if they didn't exist  and I don't think that Reform will stand down but anyone thinking this election represents some great reset of politics should note that 24 +15  is 39  and 41/39 wouldn't even produce a labour majority going by previous results. 

This country still has a sizeable portion of cunts despite the generational shift. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NJS said:

I know it's not as simple as Reform voters switching to the Tories if they didn't exist  and I don't think that Reform will stand down but anyone thinking this election represents some great reset of politics should note that 24 +15  is 39  and 41/39 wouldn't even produce a labour majority going by previous results. 

This country still has a sizeable portion of cunts despite the generational shift. 

anthony browne is right in that clip further up the page. the UK is a small c conservative country, which is why elections are always won from the centre, and why the tory party's implosion by pandering to the right is a joy to behold. 

4 minutes ago, NJS said:

Yeah but it's not as simple as that, because there are people currently voting for Reform that wouldn't vote Conservative, and likewise people voting Conservative who wouldn't dream of voting Reform. 

The right is currently split in this country, which is why we're about to see the Tories destroyed at the next election. Whatever emerges from that wreckage isn't going to command 39% of the vote in a single entity. 

• Like 2

Some loon among the Reform candidates has had his social media posts investigated, and has been found to have said that we should have been more neutral with Hitler. 

And the Reform spokesperson responding has basically agreed with them. Lovely. 

• Jaysus... 1

:lol:

Thankfully, this is what most people think of Farage. He doesn't have a future in mainstream politics beyond playing the spoiler. Which tbf, he does very well, but there's a ceiling on the popularity of any party for which he's a leading figure. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Yeah but it's not as simple as that, because there are people currently voting for Reform that wouldn't vote Conservative, and likewise people voting Conservative who wouldn't dream of voting Reform. 

The right is currently split in this country, which is why we're about to see the Tories destroyed at the next election. Whatever emerges from that wreckage isn't going to command 39% of the vote in a single entity. 

I did over-simplify a bit but the 41 for labour also contains some centrist/tory voters who will have to appealed to to repeat Blair's multi-term run. That's why I think those expecting some decent policies under the radar are naive. 

I think a New Zealand scenario where a "fresh" government wins big then loses badly next time out as they didnt change anything is still possible. 

I think it depends on what's left of the Tories after this election. If they've still got closer to 200 seats, then 2029 is targetable for them if Labour have a shocker. 

If it's closer to or even sub-100, they'll likely still be considered unelectable in 2029.

• Like 2

Saying that mind, it took Partygate, the PPE fraud, the Truss mini Budget, double figure inflation, the cost of living crisis, and dozens of other scandals in ONE parliament to do for the Tories. 

If Labour can look vaguely competent and not seem like they're taking the piss out of the entire country, I think they'll get quite a bit of leeway after the last 14 years. I don't think people are expecting miracle fixes. 

26 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The right is currently split in this country, which is why we're about to see the Tories destroyed at the next election

This is true. But it is a symptom. The more important truth is the Conservatives have utterly fucked the country over. Everything is worse, everything is broken. This is now people's lived experience, every day of their lives. The Conservatives cannot bullshit themselves out of this any more, it won't work. This is the root cause of why they are fucked, doesn't matter what the ideaologies are of their usual voters. 

• Like 1

NJS is right about a lot of people being cunts. Although I think a fair proportion of people naturally conservative leaning are selfish rather than outright racist etc. I mean the two things aren’t mutually exclusive but the reason I think they’re fucked as a party for a while is people have long memories. And it’s those selfish cunts that have been negatively financially impacted that have turned against them now. In the past I didn’t agree with them, but you could see why those comfortably off, middle class people would vote for them. They were looked after in terms of being better off and taxed lower. At least that was the perception. Now that’s not the case, public services are crumbling, everything including your mortgage costs more etc. There’s not really many people they can appeal to. It’s really just my parent’s generation, who retired on daft pensions in their 50s who don’t pay a mortgage as it was paid off decades ago. There’s precious few people left that are insulated from what the Tories have done and there’s not another generation coming that have it that good. Obviously that’s not the extent of their dubious appeal but in general they’ve fucked off their traditional base 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 5

Just caught the end of a party political broadcast by the Conservative party there. Basically the whole thing seems to have been quadrupling down on their tax lie. This is almost mackem levels of obsession at this point. It did make it a bit more clear it was 2k over 4 years though. 500 quid a year (obviously less in lower tax households), or 10 quid a week, per household. Maybe a cup of coffee each. 

I mean, is this the best they have, really? I'm really happy for them [Labour] to meet their pledges for this amount. I read somewhere that tax has risen 13k over the period these cunts have been in since 2019!

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

Might  add, I'm fairly sure their pledges like 2.5% GDP for defence aren't costed at all. This may not be the best line of attack for the cunts who have given us the highest taxes since WW2 whilst also somehow managing to destroy services. 

Ed Conway did the sums on the £13k of Tory tax rises, so you can take that shit to the bank. It was on one of his video explainers on Sky News. 

• Like 1