Politics

Christmas Tree

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

If Truss or Kwarteng ever get a govt job again we should wreck this joint. 

Shame he didn't go so far as to say the difference between this and the GFS is that this was caused by the reckless actions of two fuckwits whereas the GFS was a global issue.

12 minutes ago, ewerk said:

These cunts have learned absolutely nothing.

I thought a big issue with the nuclear projects was the tariffs we had to guarantee to the operators? Certainly that ws the case for Hinkley point. I would therefore assume that was less of an issue now with the insane cost of electricity generation from gas. But regardless, we know renewables can't provide the baseline energy so what the fuck will? "It takes ages to build". SO yeah, let's not bother then?

Also inthat article Northern Power House rail has been scrapped (transpennine improvements). First we lost HS2 to prioritse NPR apparently, now that is scrapped too. Fucking lying tory cunts. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I thought a big issue with the nuclear projects was the tariffs we had to guarantee to the operators? Certainly that ws the case for Hinkley point. I would therefore assume that was less of an issue now with the insane cost of electricity generation from gas. But regardless, we know renewables can't provide the baseline energy so what the fuck will? "It takes ages to build". SO yeah, let's not bother then?

Also inthat article Northern Power House rail has been scrapped (transpennine improvements). First we lost HS2 to prioritse NPR apparently, now that is scrapped too. Fucking lying tory cunts. 

Any investor is going to want a ROI so they demand a guaranteed price and that price will be above the current market. But who was it built Hinkley? Who was supposed to be building Sizewell C? EDF of course, 85% owned by the French government. So once again we are seeing the absolute foolishness of privatising all our electricity production.

I've been served an intention from my landlord to sell the property - specifically citing rising mortgage rates and affordability. 

Gee, thanks Liz & Kwasi ......

• Sad 4
  • Jaysus... 1

29 minutes ago, Renton said:

We don't know that at all, at the moment it can't but with the correct management and resources there is no reason it can't in the future.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

We don't know that at all, at the moment it can't but with the correct management and resources there is no reason it can't in the future.

There is no way of guranteeing the wind and/or sunlight over the UK, especially in winter. Get a blocking anticyclone in winter (which are quite common), you get freezing temperatures with no wind which can last days or even weeks. I don't think I've ever heard anyone seriously suggest we don't need to guarantee a baseload, and for me nuclear is by far the preferred choice for that. 

21 minutes ago, Craig said:

I've been served an intention from my landlord to sell the property - specifically citing rising mortgage rates and affordability. 

Gee, thanks Liz & Kwasi ......

Solidarity mate. We already had to move last year because of landlords selling up, and the agent for our new place got in touch recently because "the landlord is curious of the current market value of the property and would like one of the team to pop around to give him a rough estimate". As I said to the fella, "curious" is a funny way of saying "absolutely shitting himself". So I fully expect we'll be turfed out of here on similar grounds to you when our lease is next up for renewal.

Hope you can find something new when the time comes without too much upheaval.

• Like 2

Just now, Meenzer said:

Solidarity mate. We had to move last year because of landlords selling up, and the agent for the new place got in touch recently because "the landlord is curious of the current market value of the property and would like one of the team to pop around to give him a rough estimate". As I said to the fella, "curious" is a funny way of saying "absolutely shitting himself". So I fully expect we'll be turfed out of here when our lease is next up for renewal.

Hope you can find something new when the time comes without too much upheaval.

Yeah that sounds similar. I had him visiting with a surveyor a couple of weeks back so I was expecting it. 

I think tenants in general are in for a tough time thanks to inflation. My AST rises with CPI but is capped at 5% - obviously it's double that so landlords aren't able to increase the rent in line with how their mortgages are going up. 

This fucking government, man.

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

There is no way of guranteeing the wind and/or sunlight over the UK, especially in winter. Get a blocking anticyclone in winter (which are quite common), you get freezing temperatures with no wind which can last days or even weeks. I don't think I've ever heard anyone seriously suggest we don't need to guarantee a baseload, and for me nuclear is by far the preferred choice for that. 

Try reading actual scientific papers on it rather than google search results. Actual facts are, that wind speed and occurrence is rising, wind isn’t the only renewable energy source, power storage solutions are increasing as technology increases, home energy production is becoming cheaper and better as well as home storage, hydrogen production is on the horizon too.

• Like 1

Stmpathies with your renters, must be a stressful situation. 

12 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Try reading actual scientific papers on it rather than google search results. Actual facts are, that wind speed and occurrence is rising, wind isn’t the only renewable energy source, power storage solutions are increasing as technology increases, home energy production is becoming cheaper and better as well as home storage, hydrogen production is on the horizon too.

Try not to be so patronising maybe. You're talking about hypotheticals here. Wind power will be the dominant renewable in our life times, and it isn't always windy. We will need baseload generation for the foreseeable. England will anyway, an independent Scotland would probably be okay as you have hydro too. 

Edited by Renton

I’ve said for years- we’re a relatively small island, surrounded by sea, wind, with a half decent amount of sun. 

If we can’t power ourselves from renewables, it’s because we aren’t trying. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’ve said for years- we’re a relatively small island, surrounded by sea, wind, with a half decent amount of sun. 

There's 60 million of us though, that's a fuck ton of energy needed. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

There's 60 million of us though, that's a fuck ton of energy needed. 

Aye, and there’s plenty of sea- tidal power, wave power, offshore wind… the tech will only improve with increased usage and funded research. 

( That’s also not to mention that we can all probably reduce our consumption by making small changes.) 

If a tiny fraction of the money that is almost literally pissed away in the UK oil and gas industry each day was spent on renewable development, we’d be producing sustainable power with a saleable surplus within a couple of years. 

17 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

we can and we will - we have to 

stop subsidising the fucking oil companies and put it into renewables. it is possible but we need the political will. and you don't even get close to starting that conversation when you have those in the pocket of the oil lobbyists in number 10

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, and there’s plenty of sea- tidal power, wave power, offshore wind… the tech will only improve with increased usage and funded research. 

( That’s also not to mention that we can all probably reduce our consumption by making small changes.) 

If a tiny fraction of the money that is almost literally pissed away in the UK oil and gas industry each day was spent on renewable development, we’d be producing sustainable power with a saleable surplus within a couple of years. 

Howay man, this is cloud cuckoo land stuff. It will take 100 years, we don't have the skills or capacity to do this in the timescale of an electoral cycle or even 3 cycles, which is part of the problem.

As an example I had to have a smart meter fitted when I rennovated my house. Neither the gas or electric ones work, they won't connect to the infrastructure. So I have no module telling me what I am using and still have to send off readings manually. If you look online, you will see this is not an unusual case, it's actually pretty typical. 

Renewables are definitely the long-term answer but we also need nuclear. Scrapping SIzewell C will lead to issues down the line imo, serious ones. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Howay man, this is cloud cuckoo land stuff. It will take 100 years, we don't have the skills or capacity to do this in the timescale of an electoral cycle or even 3 cycles, which is part of the problem.

As an example I had to have a smart meter fitted when I rennovated my house. Neither the gas or electric ones work, they won't connect to the infrastructure. So I have no module telling me what I am using and still have to send off readings manually. If you look online, you will see this is not an unusual case, it's actually pretty typical. 

Renewables are definitely the long-term answer but we also need nuclear. Scrapping SIzewell C will lead to issues down the line imo, serious ones. 

What did you say about patronising?

10 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

What did you say about patronising?

Eh? You told me to read some "scientific papers" and suggested I got all my information from Google. That was the patronising bit. I'm disagreeing with both you and MF, spelling out my reasons. Show me where I am patronising. 

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

We're currently generating 40% of our electricity using renewables. That has happened in a reasonably short period of time. Why can't it continue at the same pace? Are we running out of sea and land to put these things?

Just now, Renton said:

Eh? You told me to read some "scientific papers" and suggested I got all my information from Google. That was the patronising bit. I'm disagreeing with both you and MF, spelling out my reasons. Show me where I am patronising. 

When you said this is cloud cuckoo land stuff without a shred of information on the matter. I may be confusing patronising with stupidity mind.