Politics

Christmas Tree

Guest alex

My view has always been that being raped by someone you know/trust "makes up" for the fear of death factor in knifepoint cases and makes them equal.

I agree with you on both counts, actually.

I trust you both know this from experience, so I won't argue with you.

All I'm saying is, sometimes I wish you'd introduced yourself first.

• 3 weeks later...

The IMF are not going to announce they were wrong because the signs are not good, they will only do that if the economy moves into a recession and like any organisation, will seek to explain the discrepancy between their policy prescription and the economic outcomes on other factors. I thought someone as worldly as you Rob would be able to dissect this sort of thing.

If you want to play 'he said and they said' game then try Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke's comments in Atlanta yesterday. He summarises the situation perfectly. Our fiscal problems are structural and long-term, the solution needs to be therefore based on long-term policies. Aggressive short-term cuts are as economically literate as protectionism in the face of cheap imports.

If you want to play 'he said and they said' game then try Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke's comments in Atlanta yesterday. He summarises the situation perfectly. Our fiscal problems are structural and long-term, the solution needs to be therefore based on long-term policies. Aggressive short-term cuts are as economically literate as protectionism in the face of cheap imports.

I think I said before that the Tories think/hope they can get back to some kind of decent growth (probably coincidental to their actual policies) by the next election and think the pain is worth it for that reason rather than addressing underlying issues as you say. Of course the idealogical zeal of public services cuts is an added bonus.

I see the Archbishop is out there , crozier swinging....

but how he can complain that "these are policies than no-one voted for" when he;s in the Church rather beats me................ I look forward to electing the next local vicar............

I see the Archbishop is out there , crozier swinging....

but how he can complain that "these are policies than no-one voted for" when he;s in the Church rather beats me................ I look forward to electing the next local vicar............

Strange that he attacks the "big society" when most people (probably including Cameron) expect religious groups to embrace it.

There is an issue of the lack of a plan B with regards to the economy. It seems that the cuts were made out of ideology based motives as much as any pure economic argument. Therefore the coalition have been blinkered and reject any slowing down or changes to the cuts they're pushing regardless of possible problems in the future.

Now, I admit I am not claiming to be an economic genius, but if you make massive cuts in the public sector across the board, then people will lose their jobs. If they lose their jobs, they have to claim benefits and have less money to buy stuff and so on, and will be taking money from the government and not paying taxes etc. This will lead to more money being spent supporting the unemployed unless the benefit system is changed and fewer people qualify for benefits or get less money. The coalition is trying to change the benefits system, which will mean less money for the unemployed to spend on consumer goods etc. which may affect economic growth.

Those who still have a job, abheit a low wage job, will find their security weakened by the fact there are more people wanting to take their job if possible, and will be pressured to work longer hours, not ask for a pay rise and so on. Therefore they will not feel secure in purchasing goods and services that would keep a service based economy growing steadily.

This puts the ounus on the middle classes to keep things ticking over. However, there are probably a number of middle management types who are probably being sacked, or having their contracts changed to make their work more 'efficient' and other such terms that mean they'll have to do 3 people's jobs for similar money. Some of these middle class people will have children coming up to university age, and they'll feel obliged to help their children financially now the fees have gone through the roof. These factors will impact on their spending power over the next few years, as will any increase in interest rates.

All this at a time when inflation is being fuelled by soaring oil and fuel prices makes for a potentially horrible situation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So with Greece still fucked, the USA on the ropes and the Eurozone in a state of crisis, do people still think getting into more debt to try and buy our way out of recession would have been right.

I pretty pleased we have bit the bullet here and are at least trying to put things right!

And let's all thank our lucky stars that Blair didn't manage to force us into the Europe.

Have also just being listening to an economist (who predicted the last banking crash), on the beeb talking about the coming nightmare for British banks from Euro debt and that collapses are inevitable and that until we let some banks fall, we will never really start to recover!

Greece is fucked because its being forced to do exactly what the UK is doing - deliberately stopping any chance of growth.

And I wouldn't be at all surprised if the infamous UK cuts do exactly what the Greek ones have done - actually increase government borrowing.

if its to be fair the cuts i think its about time footballers and rich bastards should be hugely taxed its not fair that the poor middle class get taxed more

Politics, like religion is inherently biggoted. Everyone has beliefs and it's extremely rare for a person's views to be swayed.

Sometimes people mistake views for feelings.

Some of the pro-Europeans aren't really sure whether or not it would be financially beneficial to be in the Euro. But they feel an intense love for Europe, and follow that love.

By the same token, some of the anti-Europeans, are also unsure whether staying out of the EU is financially beneficial. But they are very patriotic about England, and want England to decide its own destiny.

I am very much pro-Europe, and even though I believe that a debt is a debt, and they can be incurred with sterling as well as with the Euro, and paying the debt back will be painful no matter what currency we have, I still will always vote for the EU, for the simple reason that I feel so very pro-European.

I would like to have a referendum on whether Britain should stay in or leave the EU. People may well vote to leave, but even so, I would like to see a referendum. Democracy is always the best.

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

Not according to the head of the IMF :dunno:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/...ion%2C_Says_IMF

Double-dips, Stagnation, as predicted.

The next few months will be interesting regarding currencies and Govt debt all around Europe.

My view is that you're a cunt.

I also feel that you're a cunt.

Your feeling is your own, and needs no defending or argumentation.

Your view comes unaccompanied by argumentation, I can't help noticing.

Something to do with posting and thread making probably