Politics

Christmas Tree

Moreover, an increase in VAT is tax on non-essential spending, so its a million times better than Labours proposed on increase national insurance - a direct tax to everyone over £21k.

Aye it's a brilliant move, 'don't worry guys, we're not increasing NI contributions, but we are going to increase the price of most of what you buy by 2.1%', cheers Gideon.

2.1% rise says it all really.

Sorry, have you got a more accurate figure? Think about what I said.

20 - 17.5 = 2.1 :dancing:

Oh dear, let me explain it to you in terms you might understand.

If you buy £100 of sweets exc. VAT at 17.5% you pay £117.50

Now, if you buy £100 of sweets exc. VAT under the Tories you pay £120

Now, be a good lad and tell me by how much has the price of your sweeties increased?

2.5%

...and how much did you say? :jester:

Edited by Phil

Moreover, an increase in VAT is tax on non-essential spending, so its a million times better than Labours proposed on increase national insurance - a direct tax to everyone over £21k.

Aye it's a brilliant move, 'don't worry guys, we're not increasing NI contributions, but we are going to increase the price of most of what you buy by 2.1%', cheers Gideon.

20 - 17.5 = 2.1 :dancing:

Now, be a good lad and tell me by how much has the price of your sweeties increased?

2.5%

...and how much did you say? :jester:

I give up.

20 - 17.5 = 2.1 :)

2.5%

...and how much did you say? :dancing:

:jester:

Leave the lad alone. He's been paying 70% of his income on taxes under Labour after all.

2.5%

...and how much did you say? :)

I give up.

You pay £2.50 more / the £120 you pay is 2.083% increase, or 2.1% as said. If it was a 2.5% increase over the £117.50 you were spending that would be £120.44

Fwiw I think its a good idea. I thought labours idea of reducing the VAT to 15% was a fucking stupid idea. What good did that do other than create an even bigger hole in the governments budget? Who actually went out and thought "oh my, I can save a couple of quid on that £100 purchase so I'll buy it now". Same as this increase, you'll hardly notice it but in the grand scheme it makes a massive difference to the pot.

What isn't mentioned is the cost to business of changing over. I'm telling you it's a right pain in the arse.

edit: Got my holes mixed up :dancing:

Edited by JawD

I can see the logic in it, especially as it is being introduced after Christmas so may get people to spend more before the increase.

But, at the end of the day, it is a regressive tax so is inherently wrong imo.

Fwiw I think its a good idea. I thought labours idea of reducing the VAT to 15% was a fucking stupid idea. What good did that do other than create an even bigger whole in the governments budget? Who actually went out and thought "oh my, I can save a couple of quid on that £100 purchase so I'll buy it now". Same as this increase, you'll hardly notice it but in the grand scheme it makes a massive difference to the pot.

What isn't mentioned is the cost to business of changing over. I'm telling you it's a right pain in the arse.

Don't forget it included cars and added to the scrappage scheme it did make a difference.

You may not notice it on individual items but it all adds up and it does affect people on lower incomes more proportionally.

2.5%

...and how much did you say? :dancing:

I give up.

You pay £2.50 more / the £120 you pay is 2.083% increase, or 2.1% as said. If it was a 2.5% increase over the £117.50 you were spending that would be £120.44

Fwiw I think its a good idea. I thought labours idea of reducing the VAT to 15% was a fucking stupid idea. What good did that do other than create an even bigger whole in the governments budget? Who actually went out and thought "oh my, I can save a couple of quid on that £100 purchase so I'll buy it now". Same as this increase, you'll hardly notice it but in the grand scheme it makes a massive difference to the pot.

To be fair to Labour the 15% was pretty useful for a lot of the retail industry rather than the consumer -they were still charging 4.99 inc vat - but werent passing it on

CT: some of the measures seem reasonable and I think they've shoved a couple of headline-grabbers in like the tax allowance which I'd call typical poltics no matter who did it.

But being quietly ignored.....

• Additional current expenditure reductions of £30bn a year by 2014-15

Until we get details of what that involves we can't be specific but that will affect millions and I'd guess for a lot of them the effect will be worse than the gain of £200 pa.

"I thought Harriet Harmon's response was excellent though. Labour have missed a trick there."

"Deficits must be reduced but we must not risk undermining the fragile recovery," she insisted. This is a budget based on rewritten history and false excuses. They say there is no alternative. But the truth is this is what they want.

"This budget isn't driven by economics. It's driven by ideology - their commitment to a smaller state. This austerity budget is their choice and right now it's exactly the wrong choice."

Turning her guns on the Liberal Democrats, she said: "This reckless Tory budget would not be possible without the Lib Dems.

"The Lib Dems denounced early cuts - now they are backing them. They denounced VAT increases - now they're voting for them.

"How could they support everything they fought against? How could they let down everyone who voted for them? How could they let the Tories so exploit them?

"They are just a fig-leaf. The Lib Dem chief secretary is just the Ccancellor's fig-leaf. The deputy prime minister is just the prime minister's fig-leaf.

"The Lib Dem leaders have sacrificed everything they ever stood for to ride in ministerial cars and to ride on the coat-tails of the Tory government.

"Twenty-two Liberal Democrat ministerial jobs have been bought at the cost of tens of thousands of other people's jobs. The Liberal Democrats used to stand up for other people's jobs -now they only stand up for their own."

Go on HH

CT right for once :jester:

"I thought Harriet Harmon's response was excellent though. Labour have missed a trick there."

"Deficits must be reduced but we must not risk undermining the fragile recovery," she insisted. This is a budget based on rewritten history and false excuses. They say there is no alternative. But the truth is this is what they want.

"This budget isn't driven by economics. It's driven by ideology - their commitment to a smaller state. This austerity budget is their choice and right now it's exactly the wrong choice."

Turning her guns on the Liberal Democrats, she said: "This reckless Tory budget would not be possible without the Lib Dems.

"The Lib Dems denounced early cuts - now they are backing them. They denounced VAT increases - now they're voting for them.

"How could they support everything they fought against? How could they let down everyone who voted for them? How could they let the Tories so exploit them?

"They are just a fig-leaf. The Lib Dem chief secretary is just the Ccancellor's fig-leaf. The deputy prime minister is just the prime minister's fig-leaf.

"The Lib Dem leaders have sacrificed everything they ever stood for to ride in ministerial cars and to ride on the coat-tails of the Tory government.

"Twenty-two Liberal Democrat ministerial jobs have been bought at the cost of tens of thousands of other people's jobs. The Liberal Democrats used to stand up for other people's jobs -now they only stand up for their own."

Go on HH

CT right for once :jester:

If she was leader I might even vote for her :dancing:

Are there any Liberal Democrat voters on here? If so I would like to hear what they think of the party and Clegg after this budget.

Are there any Liberal Democrat voters on here? If so I would like to hear what they think of the party and Clegg after this budget.

Meenzer but he's too damn nice to argue with.

I voted for them like. Some misplaced idea of a protest. Not that it made any difference to the actual result where I live. I hate the lot of them tbh.

:jester: He is a darling like.

:dancing: He is a darling like.

Knows his whisky as well :jester:

I voted for the cunts but I always have done, (Sort of in the family,Nan was a good friend of David Steele)

Osborne has made Thatcher look like a benevolent defender of the poorest members of society this afternoon...I hope Clegg and the rest of the bandwagon jumpers can look the grass roots in the face at the next party conference.. :jester:

CT: some of the measures seem reasonable and I think they've shoved a couple of headline-grabbers in like the tax allowance which I'd call typical poltics no matter who did it.

But being quietly ignored.....

• Additional current expenditure reductions of £30bn a year by 2014-15

Until we get details of what that involves we can't be specific but that will affect millions and I'd guess for a lot of them the effect will be worse than the gain of £200 pa.

Quite a lot of the measures are extremely fair.

A budget against this sort of backdrop is always going to be unpleasant to some degree however there were a lot of good things in their as well.

You are right though that it will be the department cuts in October that will hold the real pain for many families.

The good thing for me is that there seems to be a lot going on behind the scenes to try and make sure these cuts are as well thought out as possible.

Nice to see a good bloke like Hutton looking at the pension problem as well.

October's squeaky bum time for me personally. I expected not to receive a pay rise for the next two years, I can live with that. Just so long as I actually have a job by the time the two years is up that is.

I voted for the cunts but I always have done, (Sort of in the family,Nan was a good friend of David Steele)

Osborne has made Thatcher look like a benevolent defender of the poorest members of society this afternoon...I hope Clegg and the rest of the bandwagon jumpers can look the grass roots in the face at the next party conference.. :)

What a load of drivel :jester:

Wheres your vitriol for the fuckers who got us into this mess. :dancing: