Politics

Christmas Tree

The VAT increase is only a rumour isn't it? And the personal allowance is only increasing 1k.

Would have thought this will be a cert upto 20%

Didnt both parties pledge not to increase VAT before the election? It'd be a disastrous decision IMO, which of course means that it'll be certain to be in Gideon's budget.

Guardian reckons Cable has secured lots of 'fairness' in the emergency budget, basic allowance up to 10k (offsetting pensions contributions) and that the rich wont get this allowance and may have their thresholds lowered. Taking 850,000 of the lowest paid out of income tax apparently.

A staging point on the way to 10k allowance is how I read it - £200 pa more for basic tax rate payers - which I think will be offset elsewhere by other increases.

The VAT increase is only a rumour isn't it? And the personal allowance is only increasing 1k.

Would have thought this will be a cert upto 20%

Didnt both parties pledge not to increase VAT before the election? It'd be a disastrous decision IMO, which of course means that it'll be certain to be in Gideon's budget.

"No plans too........" :jester:

People think that as VAT doesn't apply to food, it's not too bad but they forget about clothes, household bills, mobile bills, metro/train fares etc, etc. I think £200 would be swallowed up just by the 2.5% and that's before the usual fuel/drink increases.

I want the city bonuses to be taxed to fuck, along with those who earn more than £150,000 a year. And I want to invade Jersey and raid all the accounts of the rich tax exiles.

It'll never happen, but I want those who ruined this country's finances to pay.

That will be the useless 10% in most surveys who "don't know".

And you reckon that most of those who answered one way or the other fully understood the issues?

Do they ever.

Then why post it?

Becuase its a current mori opinion poll!!!

Thats like saying "why have an election".... :dancing:

Not really. Mori polls during the election indicate who the likely winner is going to be. This is just a collection of worthless opinions, which you have used to 'back up' your own worthless view. :jester:

It'll be a pointless gesture if they then do raise VAT.

Depends if you consider an extra 11 billion a year pointless.

What I was saying was that it's pointless to give to the poor with one hand and take it away with the other.

It'll be a pointless gesture if they then do raise VAT.

Depends if you consider an extra 11 billion a year pointless.

Well it is if the tax break is more than swallowed up by a VAT increase. Surely that was the very straightforward point he was making.

CT...can I just save you a bit of time later by saying how assured Osbourne was in his budget speech today.

:dancing:

He delivered it like a true statesman. What a wonderful man he is. :jester:

CT...can I just save you a bit of time later by saying how assured Osbourne was in his budget speech today.

:)

He delivered it like a true statesman. What a wonderful man he is. :jester:

:dancing:

It's no good just repeating the "we owe billions" mantra unless you compare it with other countries. We don't come off that bad and are a million miles away from Greece. Even mentioning them shows that you are just spouting Cameron's shit.

At the moment we have a triple a rating with credit agencies but if anything else bad happens that may change. Otr it may not. Dont confuse me with a Tory I detest the tories more than most but that has a lot to do with being from a mining family. Labour do have to take a huge share of the blame for where we are in relation to cuts and dont think they would not swing the axe too.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-stag...arling-thatcher

Promises before an election are like the promises made to a nightclub pick up that you will definitely call them the day after.

It's no good just repeating the "we owe billions" mantra unless you compare it with other countries. We don't come off that bad and are a million miles away from Greece. Even mentioning them shows that you are just spouting Cameron's shit.

At the moment we have a triple a rating with credit agencies but if anything else bad happens that may change. Otr it may not. Dont confuse me with a Tory I detest the tories more than most but that has a lot to do with being from a mining family. Labour do have to take a huge share of the blame for where we are in relation to cuts and dont think they would not swing the axe too.

I didn't think you were a Tory - and as I consider that a grave insult please accept an apology.

The credit rating is pretty much what I was referring to - the way the UK's debt is structured compared with other countries is favourable so using a threat to that rating is particularly wrong imo.

I'm also not completely exonerating Labour from blame - they have embraced international financial capitalism so have to accept consequences of that approach even if the effects are global.

I also accept that the nonchalant approach to the deficit pre-crisis was a bit daft and some cuts were probably inevitible at some stage - savage cuts right now are still wrong imo for the reasons laid out in this thread.

I didn't think you were a Tory - and as I consider that a grave insult please accept an apology.

The credit rating is pretty much what I was referring to - the way the UK's debt is structured compared with other countries is favourable so using a threat to that rating is particularly wrong imo.

I'm also not completely exonerating Labour from blame - they have embraced international financial capitalism so have to accept consequences of that approach even if the effects are global.

I also accept that the nonchalant approach to the deficit pre-crisis was a bit daft and some cuts were probably inevitible at some stage - savage cuts right now are still wrong imo for the reasons laid out in this thread.

13 years man :jester: 13 years :dancing:

13 years man :jester: 13 years :dancing:

Most of those 13 years we'd never had it so good, especially in the North East. Strangely enough the 18 years previous to this were SHIT.

13 years man :dancing: 13 years :)

Most of those 13 years we'd never had it so good, especially in the North East. Strangely enough the 18 years previous to this were SHIT.

As blanket statements go like that was both largely accurate and piss funny. :jester: