Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Some well needed balance and common sense. 

Nicely sums up pretty much everything that’s wrong with the media in relation to politics in this country. I do think Labour have made a few PR gaffes and have failed to communicate the reasons behind their decision making on a few occasions. But they’re inexperienced and look what they’re going up against 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

🙂

shame Ed was never brave enough to show he had a personality when he was leader. he's been class since he stepped down

To be fair to him, he was/is a fairly moderate social democrat who was eviscerated for the way he ate a bacon sandwich and was portrayed by most of the media as being just to the left of Leon Trotsky. Being yourself is probably difficult against that backdrop and he inherited the leadership at bad time too

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Alex said:

To be fair to him, he was/is a fairly moderate social democrat who was eviscerated for the way he ate a bacon sandwich and was portrayed by most of the media as being just to the left of Leon Trotsky. Being yourself is probably difficult against that backdrop and he inherited the leadership at bad time too

agree but I  wonder if he’d done better if he’d just been himself. He’s a likeable bloke. Voters like that in a leader. Shame it was coached out of him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

agree but I  wonder if he’d done better if he’d just been himself. He’s a likeable bloke. Voters like that in a leader. Shame it was coached out of him

Think that's naive for reasons Alex has already said. 

Also, he kind of did knife his brother in the back which contradicts Mr Nice guy somewhat and was quite the sliding doors moment imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Think that's naive for reasons Alex has already said. 

Also, he kind of did knife his brother in the back which contradicts Mr Nice guy somewhat and was quite the sliding doors moment imo. 

it's naive to be likeable? feels like it could be a winning strategy instead of having you're entire personality coached out of you.

of course the media were out to get him with the bacon sandwich nonsense but unlike a lot of politicians, ed has come across as a warm and funny bloke since stepping down as leader. and if you're lucky enough to blessed with a personality, why not show it? i think the public see through bland, overly-coached politicians and would have warmed to ed more if he'd just been himself. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's naive to be likeable?

Naive to think the media would ever let him be shown as likable. He was likable mind, I met him a couple of times before he betrayed his brother. Never revealed any ambitions to be leader just two years prior to that.