Politics

Christmas Tree

Congratulations. I really hope it will work out for you.

Obviously there is very little chance of you rejoicing the EU in foreseeable time. It would make things a lot easier for me but especially you but this dinghy has sailed a long time ago.

I hope that you will weather the storm of uncertainty. Labour won’t fix everything that went wrong in the last 14 years over night. But you need to be able to keep the lunatics in check. Reform is just people voting for Farage atm iyam. If this tosser is gone the party will have nothing to offer, just with what happened to ukip.

I am especially pleased that I know that I used the season ticket of your future secretary for education even though she isn’t able to park a car. I wouldn’t mind her become secretary of transportation though. She can’t do worse than Chris Grayling to get into the house of lords

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Seen a couple of clips but I'm not watching cos I can't bear the man. 

He's gonna fucking HATE being an MP though. It's gonna bore the tits off him. This isn't the European Parliament where he's gonna be representing one of the major nation States and he can go and make his gob go and be listened to. And btw even that bored the tits off him and he never went. 

His voice in Parliament is gonna be fucking tiny and his finances and all of his MPs are gonna come under scrutiny. 

Remember when Galloway won and we were all told he was gonna be Starmer's worst nightmare. I haven't heard a fucking peep out of him since then.

The political press with Farage are like how David Brent is with Finchy. "Oh... Here he is. *stifled giggle* Big Nige. Bet you're here to sort us all out are you Nige? *giggle* He's mental this one. You just watch what he's gonna do now, it's gonna be CARNAGE."

They should all hang their heads. 

He's already started on the PR crusade rattling off that with it, his party would have over 100 MPs now. One of the few things I agree with him on and I fully expect because he's pushing hard for it, the government won't even entertain a discussion on it. 

Btw, the young lad at work didn't vote. Another bloke who didn't say what he was doing and is originally from laahndan told us today he changed his mind a few times on the way to vote but ended up voting Tory as 'its better the devil you know'. :lol: :lol: Also said if you think it's bad now you'll be in for a surprise when these get in. :lol: 

The IQ in that place goes up and down about 40% every time I walk in and out of the place. :cuppa:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

44 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Btw, the young lad at work didn't vote. Another bloke who didn't say what he was doing and is originally from laahndan told us today he changed his mind a few times on the way to vote but ended up voting Tory as 'its better the devil you know'. :lol: :lol: Also said if you think it's bad now you'll be in for a surprise when these get in. :lol: 

The IQ in that place goes up and down about 40% every time I walk in and out of the place. :cuppa:

I think “if you think it’s bad now, wait til Labour get in” is the most common line I’ve heard. 

• Like 1

Strong recommend for this if your worrying about Labour losing to a unite the right vote at the next election. 

Finkelstein is excellent and a proper brain (and a Tory) and does a pretty good job of dismantling the idea that you can just add up the Tory and Reform vote and give Labour real problems, for two reasons :

Firstly, this completely ignores the fact that the Lib Dems have effectively joined the two party system. A big part of their success came from Labour voters in seats that would never return a Labour candidate voting Lib Dems. That's getting missed in the analysis. 

Secondly, on the unite the right point. He makes the point that the Tories have won elections before where they haven't wob seats like Hartlepool, but they've NEVER won elections before where they haven't won places like Chichester and Surrey Heath. And you don't win those places back by joining forces with Reform. 

Give it a lesson while you're pottering about the place or walking the dog, it's well worth it. 

Mandelson also points out that the "well this isn't as good as Blair's majority" line is nonsense (even though he was saying it last night), because Labour in 97 had had two elections prior to that where they'd been making progress and building support. This time they've gone from record defeat, to landslide in one electoral cycle. 

Given that context, OF COURSE their majority looks a bit brittle. But I'd rather he where they currently are, than where the Tories currently are.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Strong recommend for this if your worrying about Labour losing to a unite the right vote at the next election. 

Finkelstein is excellent and a proper brain (and a Tory) and does a pretty good job of dismantling the idea that you can just add up the Tory and Reform vote and give Labour real problems, for two reasons :

Firstly, this completely ignores the fact that the Lib Dems have effectively joined the two party system. A big part of their success came from Labour voters in seats that would never return a Labour candidate voting Lib Dems. That's getting missed in the analysis. 

Secondly, on the unite the right point. He makes the point that the Tories have won elections before where they haven't wob seats like Hartlepool, but they've NEVER won elections before where they haven't won places like Chichester and Surrey Heath. And you don't win those places back by joining forces with Reform. 

Give it a lesson while you're pottering about the place or walking the dog, it's well worth it. 

Mandelson also points out that the "well this isn't as good as Blair's majority" line is nonsense (even though he was saying it last night), because Labour in 97 had had two elections prior to that where they'd been making progress and building support. This time they've gone from record defeat, to landslide in one electoral cycle. 

Given that context, OF COURSE their majority looks a bit brittle. But I'd rather he where they currently are, than where the Tories currently are.

Imagine the likes of Kuenssberg if this had been reversed. Do you think for one second they’d be looking for the negatives from a Tory pov? I don’t mind highlighting negatives if it’s backed up by solid analysis. But most of it has been largely out of spite from people with a heavy bias 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Imagine the likes of Kuenssberg if this had been reversed. Do you think for one second they’d be looking for the negatives from a Tory pov? I don’t mind highlighting negatives if it’s backed up by solid analysis. But most of it has been largely out of spite from people with a heavy bias 

Totally agree. Honestly it was otherworldly last night watching cabinet member after cabinet member lose their seat, coming back to the studio and Kuennsberg's literal first take being "but look, the Labour vote share has barely moved!" 

You were watching a Labour landslide unfold and being gaslit into believing it was going badly for them. I dare say it's worked on loads of people. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Can't remember if this got posted or not. :lol:

Gutted he got cut off just as he was getting into it. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I know theres a lot of left leaning commentary in here but what comes of the Conservatives next? There's not many to choose from, Badenoch and Braverman will surely want to throw their hand in but there must be some more credible candidates. I say this because I don't want to see the likes of those or Farage, leading an opposition. 

Posted (edited)

They’ll go right then when it dawns on them it’s not going to work it will be a question of if there are any “men in grey suits” left to sort it out…. 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I know theres a lot of left leaning commentary in here but what comes of the Conservatives next? There's not many to choose from, Badenoch and Braverman will surely want to throw their hand in but there must be some more credible candidates. I say this because I don't want to see the likes of those or Farage, leading an opposition. 

Listen to that podcast I posted earlier. Finkelstein reckons it'll come down to Badenoch, Tugenhadt, and Cleverly, and that Badenoch is the likely winner. 

He also says he doesn't think whoever wins it will be the next Tory PM. 

12 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Hunt imo. Unless he doesn’t want to be the next leader because he thinks the next election can’t be won. That said, the membership is batshit crazy and they’re (meant to be) the ones that choose 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Hunt imo. Unless he doesn’t want to be the next leader because he thinks the next election can’t be won. That said, the membership is batshit crazy and they’re (meant to be) the ones that choose 

yeah. Hunt would surely be the sensible choice. Even Cleverly wouldn’t be a disaster for them. 

edit: Hunts admission that he hopes Labour would properly fund the NHS whereas the Tories didn’t was quite revealing. 

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

yeah. Hunt would surely be the sensible choice. Even Cleverly wouldn’t be a disaster for them. 

edit: Hunts admission that he hopes Labour would properly fund the NHS whereas the Tories didn’t was quite revealing. 

I'm not sure if many of the Tories actually believed in some of their headline policy. Cleverly basically said the Rwanda policy was a load of shit and even Sunaks final speech seemed completely polarised to what they were trying to do. Maybe Sunak really didn't want to do Rwanda but was pressured by the loonies and thus called the election to put a stop to it and save face. I'm no Conservative apologist but I do think there are decent people on both sides of the debate. 

8 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I'm not sure if many of the Tories actually believed in some of their headline policy. Cleverly basically said the Rwanda policy was a load of shit and even Sunaks final speech seemed completely polarised to what they were trying to do. Maybe Sunak really didn't want to do Rwanda but was pressured by the loonies and thus called the election to put a stop to it and save face. I'm no Conservative apologist but I do think there are decent people on both sides of the debate. 

The strong rumour was Sunak called the election to stymie a leadership challenge. 
I’d also add that if you go along with those policies of the last government just to save your own political career then there’s zero decency in that. It’s arguably worse than the nutters themselves. You’re enabling them for selfish reasons. They’re not even loyal to the party as it’s wrecked that too 

• Like 3