Politics

Christmas Tree

Seems about right, both of them pretty bland and boring without either of them making any massive fuck ups.

Personally, I’d be quite happy with a bland and boring PM- we’ve had the parade of clowns and seen were it’s got us. 

• Like 3

Managed about 15 mins including adverts. I have always considered tv GE debates to be a complete fucking waste of time and that did not change my mind. 

• Like 1

I turned it off after 10 minutes. It was unbearable to watch. Have we ever had two bigger helium suckers as prime ministerial candidates btw? 

Starmer's failure to shut down the £2k thing even in the first few minutes was insane. All you have to do is say "You've made that number up, we're not 5 minutes into this, and already you're lying to the British public live on TV."

Instead he looked, certainly in the early exchanges, like he wasn't quite sure himself if he was gonna put taxes up by £2k or not. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The sad reality is that Farage will grandstand better than both of them at the 7 way debate. Starmer struggled with being interrupted (because that doesn't happen in court or parliament)

I don't think Starmer and Sunak will attend the 7 way debate. I think they might send deputies. Might be wrong like. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I turned it off after 10 minutes. It was unbearable to watch. Have we ever had two bigger helium suckers as prime ministerial candidates btw? 

Starmer's failure to shut down the £2k thing even in the first few minutes was insane. All you have to do is say "You've made that number up, we're not 5 minutes into this, and already you're lying to the British public live on TV."

Instead he looked, certainly in the early exchanges, like he wasn't quite sure himself if he was gonna put taxes up by £2k or not

Sounds about right for that bread and butter sandwich of a man. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I don't think Starmer and Sunak will attend the 7 way debate. I think they might send deputies. Might be wrong like. 

Oliver Dowden would be the obvious choice for the Tories but that doesn’t seem like a great idea to me.

7 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

We watched the Kevin Bridges Netflix special and Last Kingdom 7 kings must die rather than listen to either of that pair fuckin poltroons :) 

How good is that Kevin Bridges?  Superb :lol:

I didn't watch the charade either, I didn't want to go to bed annoyed.  Woke up to a few WhatsApp's asking if I had watched it.  A few were saying it was an even steves debate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ewerk said:

Either Starmer is going to raise everyone’s taxes by £2,000 or he really needs to start denying it.

IMG_1989.webp

IMG_1988.webp

IMG_1987.webp

IMG_1986.webp

51/49 in Sunak's favour according to the yougov snap poll. Which is nowhere near what Sunak needed. Short thread here, I think Starmer will be happier with most of it:

I'd say Starmer would take that. 

I'm just gonna do this from now on - not watch and check stuff like this. I might watch when Rayner's on cos I think she could genuinely wipe the floor with some people. 

• Like 1

Interesting that the BBC are doing a feature fact checking the debate and are rubbishing the £2k thing. Coutinho is on now and the interviewer is challenging her on it. 

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Interesting that the BBC are doing a feature fact checking the debate and are rubbishing the £2k thing. Coutinho is on now and the interviewer is challenging her on it. 

Which makes it all the more ridiculous that Starmer let it go unchallenged twice early doors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I’d actually be tempted to watch for a minute or two if it was Angela Rayner tearing a strip off Farage. 

7 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’d actually be tempted to watch for a minute or two if it was Angela Rayner smashing her ginger beaver with a black widow

MFYP

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Instead he looked, certainly in the early exchanges, like he wasn't quite sure himself if he was gonna put taxes up by £2k or not. 

fucking shambolic I agree.

I find it incredible that starmer has risen to the heights he has in the legal profession, I wouldn't want the cunt representing me in court on a fucking shop lifting offence never mind owt serious, he's fucking useless.

Doesn't look so clever any more from the Tories. The Treasury now confirming the figure is bollocks and the govt had been warned not to claim it was produced by independent treasury experts, which was the phrase that lying cunt Sunak used. 

• Like 1

I mean he could’ve been nervous as it was the first tv debate. That’s another reason I think these things are shite. The idea the best ‘performer’ = the best PM is fucking ridiculous. It’s the reason you end up with cunts like Johnson in the job. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Doesn't look so clever any more from the Tories. The Treasury now confirming the figure is bollocks and the govt had been warned not to claim it was produced by independent treasury experts, which was the phrase that lying cunt Sunak used. 

I thought it was weird anyway. Because even if it was true, surely it would go against protocol because it’s the pre-election period. During that time you can’t make statements that might be seen to influence the outcome of the election. So, for example, the annual pay offers for the different parts of the public sector would normally be announced around this time of year but now have to be delayed until after the GE. I also thought it would be an impossible piece of research to accurately commission. Because the detail just isn’t there as labour have only  made some announcements but haven’t published their manifesto. Even then it wouldn’t be a quick piece of work without it being a very rough estimate. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

I mean he could’ve been nervous as it was the first tv debate. That’s another reason I think these things are shite. The idea the best ‘performer’ = the best PM is fucking ridiculous. It’s the reason you end up with cunts like Johnson in the job. 

Aye, and the format BTW. 45 seconds. Then you've got people screaming that Starmer won't tell anyone his policies. FORTY FIVE SECONDS BITCH! With some little cunt trying to interrupt you every time you open your gob. 

You try laying out policy. 

They would be much better off doing long form interviews where they actually get into policy and why it will work. 

• Like 3