Politics

Christmas Tree

BBC got Diane Abbott as the main headline again today I see :lol: 

• Haha 1

Bloke tells him his mam died during the pandemic and he can't fucking help but mention that he was the Chancellor who gave everyone furlough. :lol:

• Haha 3
  • Jaysus... 2

Posted (edited)

Probably shouldn’t post this but fuck it. *Allegedly*  a certain minister, still in receipt of their ministerial salary has took the huff. They handed in their ministerial box, IT kit etc and have gone back to their constituency. This is after the shock and subsequent anger at the snap election being called. Apparently, upon hearing that announcement, they were seen at their local railway station asking constituents to join them in prayer for a Tory election victory.
Alan Partridge meets The Thick of It.

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Bloke tells him his mam died during the pandemic and he can't fucking help but mention that he was the Chancellor who gave everyone furlough. :lol:

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

:lol:

Tbf to Sunak there is no easy way of answering this question but even Brent would not be this crass. God I hate this cunt. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rayvin said:

This is shameless though, just preserving their jobs.

Labour already have someone standing in that constituency. Sounds like he’ll pop up somewhere else soon though. 

I heard MPs get less "redundancy" if they quit than if they are voted out. He says he'll be voting for Labour, not standing for them. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I heard MPs get less "redundancy" if they quit than if they are voted out. He says he'll be voting for Labour, not standing for them. 

Aye that's true as well. If you stay and fight your seat, you get extra cash. 

This is just a bloke sticking the boot in to the Tories which I fully welcome. Labour could do with a narrative change atm. 

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

He's standing down. I don't think this is an attempt to become a candidate for Labour. 

From Beeb:
Mr Logan, who supported Brexit, revealed in the interview that he was standing down and said his application to join Labour was "going in today". 

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

From Beeb:
Mr Logan, who supported Brexit, revealed in the interview that he was standing down and said his application to join Labour was "going in today". 

That’s joining the party rather than standing as a candidate this time round though 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

That’s joining the party rather than standing as a candidate this time round though 

Aye. He goes onto say:

Asked if he could run for Labour in the future, he said: "I wouldn't rule out coming back into public life in the future but this is me definitely stepping down in this Parliament.

You would think he’d be well down the pecking order fir a future seat. The only reason the likes of Lee Anderson got a seat so quickly after joining the Tories (after previously being involved with Labour) is because he stood in a seat he wasn’t expected to win. Also, by and large, ex-MPs remain ex-MPs. 

Definitely good for Labour in terms of getting the Abbott story to die down a bit too. Even though I don’t think that is anything close to being a game changer 

What has Labour actually done wrong with this Abbott story? I've seen all sorts of headlines about it and I'm sure as an ardent leftwinger I'm meant to be up in arms, but I'm not actually tracking it.

Just now, Rayvin said:

What has Labour actually done wrong with this Abbott story? I've seen all sorts of headlines about it and I'm sure as an ardent leftwinger I'm meant to be up in arms, but I'm not actually tracking it.

It sounds like they had been working for a while to do this set piece where they gave her back the whip and she would announce her retirement, get a load of positive tributes and then go to the Lords. 

But the day she was given the whip back, some dickhead briefs the times to say "she's got the whip back but we're barring her from standing". 

From which point, all bets are off. Abbott is full of hell and says she's standing and Starmer seems paralysed and unable to say one way or another if she's standing. 

And the press that has previously treated Abbott like shit is now treating her like Mother Theresa and how could Labour do this to her. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It sounds like they had been working for a while to do this set piece where they gave her back the whip and she would announce her retirement, get a load of positive tributes and then go to the Lords. 

But the day she was given the whip back, some dickhead briefs the times to say "she's got the whip back but we're barring her from standing". 

From which point, all bets are off. Abbott is full of hell and says she's standing and Starmer seems paralysed and unable to say one way or another if she's standing. 

And the press that has previously treated Abbott like shit is now treating her like Mother Theresa and how could Labour do this to her. 

Fucking hell. Surely they can kill this off easily enough with someone coming out and saying she hadn't been barred from standing though? Although I guess it's too late for that now given where we are. What a mess.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Fucking hell. Surely they can kill this off easily enough with someone coming out and saying she hadn't been barred from standing though? Although I guess it's too late for that now given where we are. What a mess.

Well Starmer is saying the decision will be made next week, but today Rayner has done multiple interviews saying of course she should be able to stand if she wants to. 

Not clear whether she's preparing the pitch for them to announce she's standing, or if she's picking a fight with Starmer. 

But aye they absolutely should have killed this one way or the other by now. They clearly wanted her out but I think they might be stuck with her now cos of some Billy big bollocks who couldn't resist briefing to the times.