Politics

Christmas Tree

So, before I look like a private school sympathiser here, my stance is that I think we should abolish private schools altogether. 

I think that having private schools undermines the school system and automatically enables the Conservatives to underfund state schools. I think the only way we will ever truly level-up or invest fully in education is to do this. 

On the other hand, there is an argument for the private schools not to be taxed. Children in a state school are allocated something like £7,500 and my understanding is that private schools do not receive the £7,500 from the government to subsidise the education. 

I know the argument for tax breaks for private schools is the scholarships for gifted children. I really think that taking some of the children with great potential out of state education can only damage the state system and if they have great potential then they should also be able to flourish there. 

1 minute ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

So, before I look like a private school sympathiser here, my stance is that I think we should abolish private schools altogether. 

I think that having private schools undermines the school system and automatically enables the Conservatives to underfund state schools. I think the only way we will ever truly level-up or invest fully in education is to do this. 

On the other hand, there is an argument for the private schools not to be taxed. Children in a state school are allocated something like £7,500 and my understanding is that private schools do not receive the £7,500 from the government to subsidise the education. 

I know the argument for tax breaks for private schools is the scholarships for gifted children. I really think that taking some of the children with great potential out of state education can only damage the state system and if they have great potential then they should also be able to flourish there. 

I'd pretty much agree, I'd like an outright ban but that's not going to happen. Charging VAT should at least decrease the sector and hopefully bankrupt some of the frankly weird smaller ones. 

Going back to covid, it was a disgrace how the sectors diverged there, the inequalities are more acute than ever. 

The private school sector has utterly failed the country. Look at the cunts Eton alone has given us. 

I would be interested to see how different the high schools in Newcastle looked if there was no private school sector. 

I think they are woefully underfunded by government and they do not have the correct level of resources. 

42 minutes ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

I would be interested to see how different the high schools in Newcastle looked if there was no private school sector. 

I think they are woefully underfunded by government and they do not have the correct level of resources. 

Underfunded by which government?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, strawb said:

Underfunded by which government?

All governments. Not party specific.

Labour definitely does a better job of funding education.

I cannot, however, see a real need for any government to give it the correct level of funding until it impacts on the rich kids. 

While the first 10 minutes of the BBC news was on Dianne Abbot tonight, why has this got no airtime at all? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Renton said:

While the first 10 minutes of the BBC news was on Dianne Abbot tonight, why has this got no airtime at all? 

Sadly, you know the answer.

8 hours ago, Renton said:

It’s only Liz Truss though. It’s not like she’s had the massive influence like the political titan that is Diane Abbott has / had. It’s not like she’s a recent PM who completed fucked an already stalling economy. She’s not a current Tory mp, likely to stand and actually retain her seat at the coming election. Or someone who consistently shares a platform with neo-fascists. 
But aye, if there was any equivalence at all this would be a massive story and getting much more airtime than Abbott. Although despite the BBC’s best efforts, I suspect no one gives much of a shit about whether or not Abbott is a candidate. Most people who care about her actively dislike her / think she’s a moron. Thanks to the hatchet job outlets like the bbc have done on her in the past. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s only Liz Truss though. It’s not like she’s had the massive influence like the political titan that is Diane Abbott has / had. It’s not like she’s a recent PM who completed fucked an already stalling economy. She’s not a current Tory mp, likely to stand and actually retain her seat at the coming election. Or someone who consistently shares a platform with neo-fascists. 
But aye, if there was any equivalence at all this would be a massive story and getting much more airtime than Abbott. Although despite the BBC’s best efforts, I suspect no one gives much of a shit about whether or not Abbott is a candidate. Most people who care about her actively dislike her / think she’s a moron. Thanks to the hatchet job outlets like the bbc have done on her in the past. 

Am currently watching the chancellor point blank deny that Liz Truss didn’t damage the UK economy on bbc breakfast 😵

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 3

Interesting that Labour are saying little to nowt about the Truss / Lotus Eaters thing. I don't think they want to bounce Sunak into taking any action against her cos she's more valuable to them as a millstone round his neck. 

I cannot remotely fathom how she's set to retain her seat though. Some parts of this country are fully backwards. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Interesting that Labour are saying little to nowt about the Truss / Lotus Eaters thing. I don't think they want to bounce Sunak into taking any action against her cos she's more valuable to them as a millstone round his neck. 

I cannot remotely fathom how she's set to retain her seat though. Some parts of this country are fully backwards. 

Labour not saying much about it and the bbc completely ignoring it in an election campaign shouldn’t necessarily go hand in hand  though. (I know you’re not saying that they should). But aye, Norfolk appears to be ram jammed with thick yokels and/or Tory cunts. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

All governments. Not party specific.

Labour definitely does a better job of funding education.

I cannot, however, see a real need for any government to give it the correct level of funding until it impacts on the rich kids. 

How can Labour underfund something when they haven’t been in power for 14 years?

sorry if I’m being dense but your last comment doesn’t make sense to me?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, strawb said:

How can Labour underfund something when they haven’t been in power for 14 years?

sorry if I’m being dense but your last comment doesn’t make sense to me?  

I said that Labour does a *better* job of funding education. This was based on my memory of them last being in power rather than a misguided understanding of them having anything to do with funding over the last 14 years.

I am a primary teacher and I was when Labour were last in government. The only issue is, not only was that 14 years ago, I was at the start of my career and therefore had nothing to do with a school budget or any knowledge of my school budget was.

They did a far better job of funding education as I do know that we were able to do things that I would bend over backwards to offer the kids today.

I am still under the belief that you cannot serve two masters. I believe that unless there is one education system, there will not be an equal access to education for all. 

I am also against private health services as well. I know that people should be allowed to spend their hard earned money but this impacts on other people. My son recently was told he needed braces. My wife wanted us to pay privately to speed it up. This really sat uncomfortably with me as the conversation that we had with the dentist was basically that if we paid, he jumped the line and everyone who was already on the list just just bumped down.

This is just a vanity project with teeth but this will be happening with people with cancer and other serious issues. It just doesn't sit easily with me. 

I am looking forwards to a change of government and I hope that we can get somewhere close to where we were 14 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

But if Starmer pressurised Truss more Sunak would either look weak for continuing to ignore it, or sack her, which would cause a revolt in his own party during an election campaign. Maybe they are keeping their powder dry for the right moment, but they are not making enough about Truss at the moment imo. 

I think the answer might be that Benjamin is likely to appeal to some of the red wall voters and that if Labour kicks off about it too much then they end up with their own set of problems on that front. The guy ran for UKIP last time out so he's more or less positioned on Reform - that'll be why the Tories are approaching him. Labour though will be averse to risking blowback from someone who is basically an online version of Farage.

• Like 1

As a sidenote, I see he's back on Twitter now that we're in the Musk era. He seems to be arguing that when he made those comments it was during his 'classical liberal' phase - now though he's just conservative and allegedly centrist. The problem with people like Benjamin is that he's just smart enough to appeal to people who are impressionable/less smart and carry their views by appearing logical in his approach to things.

Here is his response to Phillips claims btw:

Posted (edited)

He would never ignore anything like that. The odious fucking creep. Imagine making it your life’s work to be hero worshipped by incels 

Edited by Alex

16 hours ago, ewerk said:

the heroin dealer has since apologised for his appalling lack of judgement.

• Haha 8