Politics

Christmas Tree

4 hours ago, Renton said:

Only 42 years to go now according to Rees Mogg. 

Best Brexit opportunities minister of my lifetime 

52 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye but I bet the biased BBC won't cover it, eh?

The BBC sources I listen to/watch certainly managed to tilt the Brianna Ghey to a ridiculous "they're both guilty" stance. Also demoted to 4th story on the news on Wednesday, behind a story of Prince WIlliam performing a routine duty. 

• Jaysus... 1

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

The BBC sources I listen to/watch certainly managed to tilt the Brianna Ghey to a ridiculous "they're both guilty" stance. Also demoted to 4th story on the news on Wednesday, behind a story of Prince WIlliam performing a routine duty. 

Typical BBC tbf, for the most part they must spend most of their day picking spelks out of their arse cheeks.

That said, I honestly don't know how anyone can claim Starmer has any level of guilt with the Esther Ghey thing the other day. Anyone with a shred of decency would have called it out at the time, whether or not they felt the jibe was transphobic or not, purely because she was present. The press should be saying good on the bloke for doing what was morally right in the moment.

5 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Typical BBC tbf, for the most part they must spend most of their day picking spelks out of their arse cheeks.

That said, I honestly don't know how anyone can claim Starmer has any level of guilt with the Esther Ghey thing the other day. Anyone with a shred of decency would have called it out at the time, whether or not they felt the jibe was transphobic or not, purely because she was present. The press should be saying good on the bloke for doing what was morally right in the moment.

What gets me is they were blaming Starmer for politicising the issue, when they have been stoking the culture war for months now. They've seen it work in the US by the republicans, and think it will work here. I expect capital punishment and abortion to be added to their agenda soon. Thing is, let them. It honestly just won't work here, people can see thorugh the bullshit and just don't want it here. We are not the US. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

What gets me is they were blaming Starmer for politicising the issue, when they have been stoking the culture war for months now. They've seen it work in the US by the republicans, and think it will work here. I expect capital punishment and abortion to be added to their agenda soon. Thing is, let them. It honestly just won't work here, people can see thorugh the bullshit and just don't want it here. We are not the US. 

Na, it works in the US because they have the bible belt which takes up over a third of the country. A bunch of hillbilly bible thumpers are always going to go with things that suit their fundamentalist view points and politicians know this and find it easy to manipulate.

I think we are more likely to fall for a bit of charisma initially, but we tend to quickly see through the bullshit when the country starts to deteriorate and can't be manipulated using religious propaganda and shit like that. If we were like the US then Rees-Mogg would have been tory leader (and *shudder* PM) by now because he represents everything those fucking dopes in the states love.

• Like 2

The situation in America BTW. Biden is clearly losing his grip on reality. It's a desperate state of affairs that the country is about to be presented with a choice between him and a criminal (who is also in cognitive decline). 

Someone in the Democrat party needs to take control of the situation and Biden needs to be replaced as their candidate. 

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

You sure about that? 
5178.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

Johnson is/was a bullshitter extraordinaire, he was un-PC, but he was socially liberal and I don't recall him pursuing the culture war that his predecessors have taken up. He wasn't even particularly right wing. He won in 2019 based partly on Corbyn, and partly on blatent lies about about Brexit which were always going to unravel. The new lot are more idealogically driven and less adept politicians. Like all before him, Sunak is caught between the more reasonable tories that are left and the right wing head bangers. He's weak as piss so is half-heartedly trying to appease the latter with culture war bullshit without any real conviction. 

You're right in the sense that Johnson did reveal the English public to be exceptionally gullible mind. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

The situation in America BTW. Biden is clearly losing his grip on reality. It's a desperate state of affairs that the country is about to be presented with a choice between him and a criminal (who is also in cognitive decline). 

Someone in the Democrat party needs to take control of the situation and Biden needs to be replaced as their candidate. 

It's too late for that, it needed to be done a year ago. At this point it's just about Biden's ego and wanting two terms. We think we have it bad over here but the two choices facing the USA are pathetic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I am praying to the flying spaghetti monster for this to happen. I am beginning to hate Biden as much as Trump because of his lack of self reflection. 

Thinking of the dropped £28 billion pounds green energy pledge by Labour here. I think they might have played a blinder.

Reeves can talk about financial credibility and fiscal responsibility, but more importantly they can deflect everything else from the BBC and the rest of the right wing media to "the tories have trashed the economy". ANd this resonates with everyone, because we all know its true. Thus in one fell swoop, the tories have lost their only effective attack line on Labour. The more I think about it, the more I am impressed. All Labour need to do now is sit back and enjoy the tories eating themselves.  

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

I am praying to the flying spaghetti monster for this to happen. I am beginning to hate Biden as much as Trump because of his lack of self reflection. 

Biden is and was always a complete piece of shit, made a shit load of racist remarks down the years and is quite frankly as creepy as Trump IMO. 

The best thing that could happen to the states is the pair of them snuff it before the election. Neither are physically fit to lead let alone the thousands of other reasons to do with their respective characters.

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

Thinking of the dropped £28 billion pounds green energy pledge by Labour here. I think they might have played a blinder.

Reeves can talk about financial credibility and fiscal responsibility, but more importantly they can deflect everything else from the BBC and the rest of the right wing media to "the tories have trashed the economy". ANd this resonates with everyone, because we all know its true. Thus in one fell swoop, the tories have lost their only effective attack line on Labour. The more I think about it, the more I am impressed. All Labour need to do now is sit back and enjoy the tories eating themselves.  

Really good answer here from Streeting. Basically doing some of what you've said, and getting applauded for it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Really good answer here from Streeting. Basically doing some of what you've said, and getting applauded for it

Yeah well, feel free to applaud me. 

Edit: yeah, very good response from Streeting.

Sunak just there:

"Their signature economic policy is in tatters, and when you don’t have a plan, you can’t deliver any change for the country".

Sorry, doesn't wash. All you have to do is point out the tories have left the actual economy in tatters. After 14 years, nobody else to blame. 

Edited by Renton

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Really good answer here from Streeting. Basically doing some of what you've said, and getting applauded for it. 

i don't agree with the uturn on this policy. this is one area where we have to borrow to invest - the longer we delay, the more it will end up costing us in the long-term.

however, streeting is a superb communicator. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said: