Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

I actually thought that tweet above was a photoshopped parody but turns out it was real. What a time to be alive. :lol:

Fair play to Dolan. It can’t be easy to keep finding guests less funny and with less credibility than himself 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Has this bizarre Lee Anderson story been posted yet? :lol:

:lol: Another nail in parody’s coffin 

• Haha 1

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

I thought he was going to say "a labour voter"

10 years ago Lee Anderson was a Labour Party member 

Got to admit, regardless of political outlook, the cynicism and sheer manipulative cuntishness is something to be admired here :lol:

Grant Shapps plainly saw “Swiss Tony” on The Fast Show and decided to adopt his entire persona, but sadly not his hairstyle :D 

• Haha 2

I want to laugh but there are son many pigshit people in the country who will just believe Just stop oil are part of the Labour party I can't. It really shouldn't be legal to lie like this in a democracy. And Labour too timid and pathetic to take these cunts head on, just plays to their game. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Has this bizarre Lee Anderson story been posted yet? :lol:

So the irony of this is, apart from the original story being complete bullshit because it's based in the US (also the food looks rank), nearly all the recipes this lady cooks up are vegeterian. Is 30p Lee, who is having some kind of breakdown about his son becoming a veggies, endorsing veggie food? 

• Haha 2

And as always with these kinds of things, they don't take into account the energy cost of cooking all this food or the cost of owning the various bits of kitchenware (not to mention having the necessary time and kitchen space and fridge/freezer/storage space in the first place, which is often an issue for the people who need this kind of thing the most).

I do think there's a strong societal argument for making sure people actually know how to cook on a budget, or indeed at all - it falls under the general "budgeting and useful life skills" category that the school curriculum seems determined to ignore for the most part - but that's very different from the "you wouldn't be as poor if you just learned to be happy with gruel" narrative that keeps rearing its ugly head in various forms, especially among those responsible for (or who love cheerleading for) austerity and its consequences.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

And as always with these kinds of things, they don't take into account the energy cost of cooking all this food or the cost of owning the various bits of kitchenware (not to mention having the necessary time and kitchen space and fridge/freezer/storage space in the first place, which is often an issue for the people who need this kind of thing the most).

I do think there's a strong societal argument for making sure people actually know how to cook on a budget, or indeed at all - it falls under the general "budgeting and useful life skills" category that the school curriculum seems determined to ignore for the most part - but that's very different from the "you wouldn't be as poor if you just learned to be happy with gruel" narrative that keeps rearing its ugly head in various forms, especially among those responsible for (or who love cheerleading for) austerity and its consequences.

Yep. Don't forget to throw in you can't be poor if you won a large flat screen TV or a smart phone as well, even though the latter is now bascially a necessity to do anything. 

My mum is becoming increasingly Daily Mail, even though she doesn't read it (she reads the Observer once a week and the Metro sometimes). She judges everybody and everything, it does my head in. I think these notions just enter old peoples' heads through some type of osmosis. Has it always been like this? Will I become like this? Genuinely scares me, think Logan's run had the right idea. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Agree with all that. I’ve banged on for years about the obesity crises being relatively easy to improve. I mean I think the way society is, it’s a problem that’s here to stay. But just by spending a bit of money on having proper cooking lessons at school would be a start. Double lessons do you actually have time to do it and supplying ingredients and making stuff you’d actually want to eat. Similarly invest in sport at school and in the community too. Much better than a sugar tax.

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Agree with all that. I’ve banged on for years about the obesity crises being relatively easy to improve. I mean I think the way society is, it’s a problem that’s here to stay. But just by spending a bit of money on having proper cooking lessons at school would be a start. Double lessons do you actually have time to do it and supplying ingredients and making stuff you’d actually want to eat. Similarly invest in sport at school and in the community too. Much better than a sugar tax.

Totally agree with this, also tack on money management. Getting budgeting to become part of your life is really important. You don't have to go the extreme that I do, but we've slashed our outgoings by reducing food waste, staying on top of phone and utility bills, being smart with who we bank with (some accounts give you tech insurance, some travel insurance, etc.). 

Honestly, the kind of food budgeting we do is that of a zealous nerd. I've a spreadsheet (because of course I have) which breaks down our more regular meals by ingredients and their packaging, likely shelf life and cost. e.g. if I'm making something that needs 1 bell pepper or 1 chicken breast, I'll plan other meals that need them because they are cheaper in a pack of 3. And we'll batch cook staples like Bolognese, or chilli, or curry and freeze individual portions. We've cut down on the number of "I'll just pop out and get" trips to the local Tesco Express or Sainsburys Local. 

• Like 2