Politics

Christmas Tree

13 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Brexit hardman wears Morten Harket wrist bands cos he had a Brexit breakdown. Fuck this self regarding cunt. 

'But in the end, seven years of hard struggle and mental turmoil to completely fuck the UK economy and the country's future was totally worth it'.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Renton said:

Sunak says being in single market and UK makes Northern Ireland 'world's most exciting economic zone'

Hold on, isn't that exactly what the rest of the UK also had before Brexit? :lol:

:smoke-1:

• Haha 2

There was someone called Tom McGurk on the radio yesterday, @ewerk might be familiar with him. He says this deal won’t fly with the DUP who have no intention of returning to a Stormont where they’re going to lose their majority at the next election and therefore Sinn Fein will appoint the next first minister. He said it’s either EU alignment or Stormont, but they’re not getting both. 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Sunak says being in single market and UK makes Northern Ireland 'world's most exciting economic zone'

Hold on, isn't that exactly what the rest of the UK also had before Brexit? :lol:

Downing Street have slapped the PM  down on this with a “clarification” :lol: 

James O’Brien has been great this morning, he thinks it’s a really big deal. DUP seem to hold the key though? 

I've never heard of him tbh. The DUP already lost their position as the largest party at the last election and haven't taken their seats yet. Their leader Jeffrey Donaldson has been playing his cards close to his chest and my feeling is that we would back the latest deal but then we have headbangers like Sammy Wilson and Ian Paisley Jr who rejected the deal out of hand almost as soon as it was announced. There are a lot of cunts in that party beholden to paramilitaries and will refuse anything short of a hard border in Ireland.

• Like 2

Just now, ewerk said:

I've never heard of him tbh. The DUP already lost their position as the largest party at the last election and haven't taken their seats yet. Their leader Jeffrey Donaldson has been playing his cards close to his chest and my feeling is that we would back the latest deal but then we have headbangers like Sammy Wilson and Ian Paisley Jr who rejected the deal out of hand almost as soon as it was announced. There are a lot of cunts in that party beholden to paramilitaries and will refuse anything short of a hard border in Ireland.

It's a great deal and tbf Sunak has done well brokering this. Thing is, the rest of the country are increasingly seeing what a bunch on unreasonable headbangers the DUP and ERG are now. I await the "Star Chamber's" ( :lol: ) verdict on tenterhooks. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Renton said:

It's a great deal and tbf Sunak has done well brokering this. Thing is, the rest of the country are increasingly seeing what a bunch on unreasonable headbangers the DUP and ERG are now. I await the "Star Chamber's" ( :lol: ) verdict on tenterhooks. 

Differences in language - who would have thought it?

This is where Starmer's cowardly approach going to get caught out in my opinion. Johnson looks done, the narrative emerging is that Sunak's deal is better than anyone could have hoped for.

Tories are cynical enough to start improving relations with EU running up to the election, Starmer has ruled out so much he's got nowhere to go

Gradual improvement in the polls start here. Never forget - people are idiots

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

This is where Starmer's cowardly approach going to get caught out in my opinion. Johnson looks done, the narrative emerging is that Sunak's deal is better than anyone could have hoped for.

Tories are cynical enough to start improving relations with EU running up to the election, Starmer has ruled out so much he's got nowhere to go

I agree with your premise in theory but not in practice. Any effects of defrosting relationships with the EU will not be felt before a GE. This particular deal will have little impact on mainland UK. And whilst Sunak may foster closer relations with the EU, he can't shout that from the roof tops, because the head bangers are still there. He can't claim closer relations are linked to a better economy, even if this is true (Number 10 disowned this fact yesterday). Plus Starmer has made all the same mood music already, and will back Sunak in the commons vote. 

However, this does make him look like a pragmatic, "normal" politician which might be positive at this point. Which is fair enough. Sunak is odd. On the News Agents podcast yesterday, Soppell and Goodall were trying to even work out why Sunak is a Brexiter. As a thatcherite, free marketeer, technocrat, it makes little sense. Best guess is he spotted the mood music early and chose sides accordingly,  which actually makes him a pretty shrewd operator. 

33 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

A large part of Johnson winning the last election was painting the EU as the enemy. I don't think that treating them as a friend is going to be the vote winner you think it is.

I do find it utterly hilarious that Matt Hancock handed over 100,000 whatsapp messages to Isabel Oakeshott in order to ghost write his book and when she was done doing that she decided to leak the whole thing to The Telegraph. Two absolute cunts.

Her middle name is hilarious, Euphemia!

As vile a person as she is, I've got to admit to having certain proclivities to activities involving her and her equally vile partner in my mind, Michelle Mone. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

I do find it utterly hilarious that Matt Hancock handed over 100,000 whatsapp messages to Isabel Oakeshott in order to ghost write his book and when she was done doing that she decided to leak the whole thing to The Telegraph. Two absolute cunts.

she didn't even hand over the scoop to her main employer :lol:

2 hours ago, Renton said:

I agree with your premise in theory but not in practice. Any effects of defrosting relationships with the EU will not be felt before a GE. This particular deal will have little impact on mainland UK. And whilst Sunak may foster closer relations with the EU, he can't shout that from the roof tops, because the head bangers are still there. He can't claim closer relations are linked to a better economy, even if this is true (Number 10 disowned this fact yesterday). Plus Starmer has made all the same mood music already, and will back Sunak in the commons vote. 

However, this does make him look like a pragmatic, "normal" politician which might be positive at this point. Which is fair enough. Sunak is odd. On the News Agents podcast yesterday, Soppell and Goodall were trying to even work out why Sunak is a Brexiter. As a thatcherite, free marketeer, technocrat, it makes little sense. Best guess is he spotted the mood music early and chose sides accordingly,  which actually makes him a pretty shrewd operator. 

I think you underestimate the cynicism of the Tories, the venality and influence of the press and the stupidity of the electorate

Is she in Johnson’s “gang”?… looks like a concerted effort to spread blame :cuppa:

or to take the focus off the NIP where it’s just been proved that Johnson royally fucked everyone over…

Edited by PaddockLad

At PMQs it was Flynn who made the obvious point about NI having SM access being a good thing being an obvious contradiction. He used it to attack Starmer though, which was canny. 

Tories are dead in Scotland, Labour are on life support, but could recover, so SNP will want to keep them down whilst the damage from the inevitable cat fight plays out over the leadership.

52 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Tories are dead in Scotland, Labour are on life support, but could recover, so SNP will want to keep them down whilst the damage from the inevitable cat fight plays out over the leadership.

Oh aye. Just thought it was quite clever how Flynn gamed it, paiting Starmer as a bigger Brexiteer than Sunak. 

Fwiw I think the SNP are probably fucked without NS and I expect Labour gains, but they need to be careful on the Brexit issue to realise this. 

• Like 1