Politics

Christmas Tree

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/26/rishi-sunak-britain-general-election-protest

Really good article by Monbiot as usual.

"After 12 years of Conservative austerity and chaos, the very rich have taken almost everything. They have even captured virtue. They now appropriate the outward signs of an ethical life while continuing – despite or because of their organic cotton jackets and second homes, their electric cars and pasture-fed meat, their carbon offsets and ayahuasca retreats, philanthropy and holidays in quiet resorts whose palm-thatched cabins mimic the vernacular of the people evicted to make way for them – to grasp the lion’s share of everything...

...In other words, it’s not just a general election we need, it’s a complete rethink of who we are and where we stand. It’s not just proportional representation we need, but radical devolution to the lowest possible levels at which decisions can be made, accompanied by deliberative, participatory democracy. It’s not just new lobbying laws we require, but a comprehensive programme to get the money out of politics, ending all private political donations, breaking up the billionaire press and demanding full financial transparency for everyone in public life. We should seek not only the repeal of repressive legislation, but – as civil disobedience is the bedrock of democracy – positive rights to protest.

All this now feels far away.

Jeremy Corbyn offered some (though by no means all) of these reforms. Keir Starmer offers none. Though Labour MPs voted against the public order bill, his only public comment so far has been to endorse its headline policy: longer sentences for people who glue themselves to roads. But if the Labour party or its future coalition partners can persuade him to agree to just one aspect of this programme, proportional representation, we can start work on the rest, building the political alliances that could transform the life of this nation. Without PR, we’re stuck with a dysfunctional duopoly, in hock to the billionaire press and the millionaires it appoints to govern us. We cannot carry on like this."

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/26/rishi-sunak-britain-general-election-protest

Really good article by Monbiot as usual.

"After 12 years of Conservative austerity and chaos, the very rich have taken almost everything. They have even captured virtue. They now appropriate the outward signs of an ethical life while continuing – despite or because of their organic cotton jackets and second homes, their electric cars and pasture-fed meat, their carbon offsets and ayahuasca retreats, philanthropy and holidays in quiet resorts whose palm-thatched cabins mimic the vernacular of the people evicted to make way for them – to grasp the lion’s share of everything...

...In other words, it’s not just a general election we need, it’s a complete rethink of who we are and where we stand. It’s not just proportional representation we need, but radical devolution to the lowest possible levels at which decisions can be made, accompanied by deliberative, participatory democracy. It’s not just new lobbying laws we require, but a comprehensive programme to get the money out of politics, ending all private political donations, breaking up the billionaire press and demanding full financial transparency for everyone in public life. We should seek not only the repeal of repressive legislation, but – as civil disobedience is the bedrock of democracy – positive rights to protest.

All this now feels far away.

Jeremy Corbyn offered some (though by no means all) of these reforms. Keir Starmer offers none. Though Labour MPs voted against the public order bill, his only public comment so far has been to endorse its headline policy: longer sentences for people who glue themselves to roads. But if the Labour party or its future coalition partners can persuade him to agree to just one aspect of this programme, proportional representation, we can start work on the rest, building the political alliances that could transform the life of this nation. Without PR, we’re stuck with a dysfunctional duopoly, in hock to the billionaire press and the millionaires it appoints to govern us. We cannot carry on like this."

In line with this, whilst it would be obviously hilarious on one level, I think a huge (possibly well over 300 according to recent polling) majority for  Labour is a bad thing in terms of any electoral reform. Indeed it would just perpetuate the status quo and probably land us back with the Tories in two or three terms. At this point I think a lot of us recognise PR is the only hope we have of at least beginning to get the reforms we need. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

In line with this, whilst it would be obviously hilarious on one level, I think a huge (possibly well over 300 according to recent polling) majority for  Labour is a bad thing in terms of any electoral reform. Indeed it would just perpetuate the status quo and probably land us back with the Tories in two or three terms. At this point I think a lot of us recognise PR is the only hope we have of at least beginning to get the reforms we need. 

Totally agree. For me it's more important than any other issue including Brexit. I want 2 things - PR and full federalisation of the UK. Doubt I will see either within my lifetime.  

This is a moment like. If Starmer has any vision beyond just getting in and making things less bad in the short term he’d grasp it. I honestly think the public would lap it up. Now more than ever if it’s presented correctly. As I’ve said before though, it should be a royal commission that comes up with the best formats. Fuck having another plebiscite and letting the various vested interests loose with more propaganda 

• Like 2

I agree it's a tight deadline, but his retainined chancellor has been working on it for the past 2 weeks and the truncated leadership contest provided this week to focus. 

If the leadership contest had gone to the party membership, I'd completely agree.

1 minute ago, Craig said:

I agree it's a tight deadline, but his retainined chancellor has been working on it for the past 2 weeks and the truncated leadership contest provided this week to focus. 

If the leadership contest had gone to the party membership, I'd completely agree.

Sunak needs to accomodate Cruella. A lot of the assumptions on growth Hunt was making, andd supplying to the OBR, were dependent on increased immigration. Which Braverman opposes, obviously. It's just another circle that can't be squared, nothing has been learned. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

That 'Tory PM educated at a Comprehensive School' brag didn't last long, did it? 

She just reaffirmed to them how useless we all are. We're fit for nothing other than being Amazon drones. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

She just reaffirmed to them how useless we all are. We're fit for nothing other than being Amazon drones. 

If I didn't think it was beyond ridiculous and that there was absolutely no way she'd commit political suicide to drive the party's agenda, I'd say she was a bit of a stooge. 

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

If I didn't think it was beyond ridiculous and that there was absolutely no way she'd commit political suicide to drive the party's agenda, I'd say she was a bit of a stooge. 

I know what you mean. I don't think these things are planned, but I do know the true tories will capitalise on it. Not to do with Truss specifically, but the red wall tory snivelling sycophants are truly useful idiots. They know they will never get another salaried job like this and will debase themselves in any way possible to keep their position.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

Anybody like to clue me up why Sunak has done this? Braverman will cause a lot of issues and for what? I can't imagine she's popular with the public other than the racists, and she also will clearly have a problem there too....? 

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It was her price for backing him in the leadership contest. Simple as that.

Did he need it? I guess yes, to eliminate Johnson. I think you're right. Fucking hell, this will not turn out well. 

Just now, Renton said:

Did he need it? I guess yes, to eliminate Johnson. I think you're right. Fucking hell, this will not turn out well. 

I suspect there was concern if it went to the membership and Johnson wasn't on the ticket the members were likely to gravitate towards Mourdant than then bloke they feel stuck the knife in Johnson's back. 

As has been said several times, it's party first, country second. 

21 minutes ago, Renton said:

Anybody like to clue me up why Sunak has done this? Braverman will cause a lot of issues and for what? I can't imagine she's popular with the public other than the racists, and she also will clearly have a problem there too....? 

I think it's fully as simple as keeping the ERG on side. He wants stability, Braverman is an ex-chair of the ERG, having her in position gives them the illusion of some manner of control over proceedings, if not some actual and real input. It may not play well with the public but within the Tory party it looks like it makes sense to me from a unifying standpoint.

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think it's fully as simple as keeping the ERG on side. He wants stability, Braverman is an ex-chair of the ERG, having her in position gives them the illusion of some manner of control over proceedings, if not some actual and real input. It may not play well with the public but within the Tory party it looks like it makes sense to me from a unifying standpoint.

Bingo! They've put attempting to unite their fucked up, fractured party ahead of uniting the country. 

If this doesn't underpin the desperate need we have not just for a General Election, but for electoral reform then I don't know what will. I absolutely detest these self-serving cunts. 

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Aye, I know, but you said it there, the "illusion of control". Her views are incompatible with most of those of the cabinnet, but she is not the type of person to back down, she's a full swivel eyed loon. Couyldn't eeven work with Truss ffs, why is it going to get better now? I think this government will turn out to be much more unstable than you anticipate. 

• Like 1