Politics

Christmas Tree

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Chin up mate. 
As long there’s people like Mick around, they’ll never have it all

I agree that people like him do at least try. Smart guy, lot of respect for him - even if he is a Lexiter.

Just now, Rayvin said:

I'm fine :lol:

Well I'm not, the country depresses me. But as far as Renton and I go, I'm totally fine. But then I'm not the one kicking off over a very benign statement of fact.

I just can't be fucked to argue anymore so I'm afraid bored and weary resignation is all I'm going to be offering on that front for a bit.

In my opinion you've designed yourself a narrative where Sunak is going to unite the tory party and turn the economy around enough to win the next general election. You seem to be basing this on evidence as flimsy as a Johnson tweet, otherwise why post it? Now Sunak will undoubtedly get a bounce, probably quite a big one, and I think that will reaffirm things to you. 

But this description of events to come is really incredibly unlikely. I was listening to a pollster yesterday on the News Agents (cheers for that one btw @Gemmill) who put a tory victory at less than 1%, not even worth considering. That's if history is anything to go by anyway. For your own sake, at least look at things objectively as they really are rather than imagine the worst possible scenarios all the time. Things are shit enough as they are, don't make them worse. 

The only person I have ever put on ignore was the quiff btw, so don't be silly. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Rees Mogg has just resigned rather than wait for the reshuffle. He was definitely getting sacked but there's your first sign of the ice cracking. 

His 'BorisorBust' campaign wasn't going to leave him with many options really. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm fine :lol:

Well I'm not, the country depresses me. But as far as Renton and I go, I'm totally fine. But then I'm not the one kicking off over a very benign statement of fact.

I just can't be fucked to argue anymore so I'm afraid bored and weary resignation is all I'm going to be offering on that front for a bit.

Give Nadine Dorries a follow on Twitter if you want to cheer yourself up and see someone not a bit interested in rallying around the new PM.

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

In my opinion you've designed yourself a narrative where Sunak is going to unite the tory party and turn the economy around enough to win the next general election. You seem to be basing this on evidence as flimsy as a Johnson tweet, otherwise why post it? Now Sunak will undoubtedly get a bounce, probably quite a big one, and I think that will reaffirm things to you. 

But this description of events to come is really incredibly unlikely. I was listening to a pollster yesterday on the News Agents (cheers for that one btw @Gemmill) who put a tory victory at less than 1%, not even worth considering. That's if history is anything to go by anyway. For your own sake, at least look at things objectively as they really are rather than imagine the worst possible scenarios all the time. Things are shit enough as they are, don't make them worse. 

The only person I have ever put on ignore was the quiff btw, so don't be silly. 

My exact words were "So far, the Tories seem to be rallying around". Not "Behold mortals, here is the undeniable proof that all I have feared and foreseen is about to come to pass, I hang it all on the word of Boris Johnson."

I will remain open minded throughout this and base my views on the information I have available. At such a point where is becomes clear to me that Labour remain on course for victory with complete certainty, I will acknowledge this. Until that happens (and frankly, it is far too early to tell in my opinion), I'm just going to look at what we can see, not what I want to see. The latter approach has been the primary source of my disappointment in politics for some years.

I do not see what benefit assuming victory brings to our side of the argument whatsoever other than perhaps some people find it easier to sleep at night. It's not in my nature to afford myself that luxury though, I will continue looking at what I can see rather than what I'm being told to see.

And to clarify that - Labour look very likely to win the next general election. We will have two years of austerity to get through before that happens, as well as full Tory command of all developing narratives around it. Sunak will claim that his record shows he takes tough but compassionate decisions to help the people of his country. These narratives might fail because we're all poorer and people will feel that - I will watch how things go and form an opinion based on evidence rather than speculation. If that isn't looking at things objectively then I'm really not sure what objective means anymore.

Just now, Renton said:

Fairly sure Fran Marcois said something along the line that the ERG will "try" to get behind and support Sunak. Very magnaminous of him. 

Aye "we will attempt to support". I suspect Sunak, in his meeting with them, told them that he would "attempt to" achieve some of the things they asked. And these giant spartan manboys thought this was a shot across the bows. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Tories will largely hold the line for a while but eventually the house of cards will come tumbling down. I can't see them forcing Sunak out before a GE but there will be a lot of leaking and lack of discipline that's going to entirely undermine Sunak's authority.

Peston is bored. He's noticed that each PM has a different podium and is questioning whether they design them themselves. Yeah, it's like light-sabres :lol:

Image Rishi Sunak vows to fix 'mistakes' of Liz Truss and warns of 'economic  crisis' | The Scotsman

• Haha 3

Just now, Gemmill said:

Brandon Lewis resigns to focus on selling cars. 

And to think that less than a week ago he was 'taking soundings' on whether to run for Prime Minister of the country.

• Haha 1

Just now, Craig said:

Peston is bored. He's noticed that each PM has a different podium and is questioning whether they design them themselves. Yeah, it's like light-sabres :lol:

Image Rishi Sunak vows to fix 'mistakes' of Liz Truss and warns of 'economic  crisis' | The Scotsman

They're all somewhat in keeping with their body shapes. Especially May and Johnson. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Craig said:

They had to nip down to Toys r Us to get one for Sunak.

• Haha 3

Just now, Gemmill said:

They're all somewhat in keeping with their body shapes. Especially May and Johnson. 

Fucking hell on that basis, imagine if Coffey ever got to the point of having a podium!

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

My exact words were "So far, the Tories seem to be rallying around". Not "Behold mortals, here is the undeniable proof that all I have feared and foreseen is about to come to pass, I hang it all on the word of Boris Johnson."

I will remain open minded throughout this and base my views on the information I have available. At such a point where is becomes clear to me that Labour remain on course for victory with complete certainty, I will acknowledge this. Until that happens (and frankly, it is far too early to tell in my opinion), I'm just going to look at what we can see, not what I want to see. The latter approach has been the primary source of my disappointment in politics for some years.

I do not see what benefit assuming victory brings to our side of the argument whatsoever other than perhaps some people find it easier to sleep at night perhaps. It's not in my nature to afford myself that luxury though, I will continue looking at what I can see rather than what I'm being told to see.

And to clarify that - Labour look very likely to win the next general election. We will have two years of austerity to get through before that happens, as well as full Tory command of all developing narratives around it. Sunak will claim that his record shows he takes tough but compassionate decisions to help the people of his country. These narratives might fail because we're all poorer and people will feel that - I will watch how things go and form an opinion based on evidence rather than speculation. If that isn't looking at things objectively then I'm really not sure what objective means anymore.

Well fair enough I guess, we're not really disagreeing, just expressing things differently. I really think you deserve to take my board crown as the glass half full person on here rather than me, it's a mantle I have long wanted to lose having battled with my own personal depression problems!

For the record, I do agree the tories have gone down the best road available to themselves here. I do agree we are getting more austerity, and that Labour will not even reverse this. I agree  that Starmer is not interested in constitutional change, and therefore frankly I am not arsed in helping out with the party on a personal level like I have in the past (having 2 kids, an ill mother, and full time job not helping there either). I do agree the UK is in a shit place and I don't see anyway out in the short or medium term. But if I've learned anyhting, there is no point in beating yoursef up about things you can't change. Look after yourself mate. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Fucking hell on that basis, imagine if Coffey ever got to the point of having a podium!

Nail a KFC tray to one of these. 

U7EY0-ksNjN2pu8Hg4uf_-m7qPrtBBrqaeU7WwPx

Wouldn’t need to last too long. 

• Haha 3

I've wound myself up, never mind my lass, with the amount of twitter scanning I've done in the past week. It's been deleted off my phone again. It really is an addictive and yet absolutely awful thing. 

• Like 1