Politics

Christmas Tree

Chope's on the radio insisting on a general election. Same patter from Dorries. :lol:

There can't be many more of them think like this surely. 

Oh re Sunak and the polling btw. The Privileges Committee stuff will hit their polling figures, as will the covid inquiry stuff. Then there's the whole people who thought they were clear of the poverty line are now underwater and a load of other people can feel it biting them on the arse thing. 

45 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Chope's on the radio insisting on a general election. Same patter from Dorries. :lol:

There can't be many more of them think like this surely. 

Oh re Sunak and the polling btw. The Privileges Committee stuff will hit their polling figures, as will the covid inquiry stuff. Then there's the whole people who thought they were clear of the poverty line are now underwater and a load of other people can feel it biting them on the arse thing. 

And the energy cap is being taken off after 6 months. I take no pleasure in any of this as the only reason the tories are fucked is because they have genuinely fucked the country and it will take decades to fix this if we ever do. 

39 minutes ago, Craig said:

I alluded to this last night before Rayvin stropped. This is way worse than Gordon Brown's mic moment. This guy is openly taking the piss with the key policy they had to appease the red wall. Labour need to endlessly hammer this home. 

The reason we need a general election:

1 - Majority of Tory MPs want Sunak in charge

2 - Majority of Tory party members don't want a brown man in charge 

If Penny M scrapes the 100 vote threshold then she's got a decent chance of becoming Truss 2.0

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The reason we need a general election:

1 - Majority of Tory MPs want Sunak in charge

2 - Majority of Tory party members don't want a brown man in charge 

If Penny M scrapes the 100 vote threshold then she's got a decent chance of becoming Truss 2.0

But there would be an indicative vote which would clearly show she hasn't got the parliamentary party backing. I don't think she will proceed now. 

The Tory Party is ungovernable because the bloke with a 100 nomination lead wouldn't acquiesce to a bloke that clearly wasn't going to get to the minimum requirement.

I mean I love that they're still bitching at one another, but Chope should stick to upskirting. 

Dorries says that all hell will break loose by Tuesday if there's a coronation today. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Have always thought this is how it'll play out, Brexit trashes the economy, money men fill their pockets with distressed assets (UK businesses) when they're satiated, rejoin single market noises start, positioned as a "no choice, otherwise we're doomed and government did it wrong anyway", rejoin sm and hey presto assets appreciate again, ker-fucking-ching.

Tricky one to play for Labour, can't come out and say rejoin SM/CU prematurely as that'd wind up the gammon legions, but if the Tories say it/do it they will then say Labour blocked it/were against it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

But there would be an indicative vote which would clearly show she hasn't got the parliamentary party backing. I don't think she will proceed now. 

It's not binding though. Ultimately, if she gets 100 nominations the choice goes to the party members 

3 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Have always thought this is how it'll play out, Brexit trashes the economy, money men fill their pockets with distressed assets (UK businesses) when they're satiated, rejoin single market noises start, positioned as a "no choice, otherwise we're doomed and government did it wrong anyway", rejoin sm and hey presto assets appreciate again, ker-fucking-ching.

Tricky one to play for Labour, can't come out and say rejoin SM/CU prematurely as that'd wind up the gammon legions, but if the Tories say it/do it they will then say Labour blocked it/were against it.

Tories will never reverse it man, so I do't see your last point being an issue. Agree with the rest though. 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

It's not binding though. Ultimately, if she gets 100 nominations the choice goes to the party members 

I personally think she'd withdraw is what I meant. If she goes ahead you're right, she wil be PM but it will be a Truss mk2 scenario. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

And they're fucked whatever route they go:

Sunak - backing of parliamentary party but not the party members.
Mordaunt - backing on the party members but not the parliamentary party.

It beggars believe that their official title is the Conservative and Unionist Party. They wouldn't know unity if it smacked them in the face.

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

Tories will never reverse it man, so I do't see your last point being an issue. Agree with the rest though. 

Oh they won't reverse brexit (that's not what I meant btw), but I can definitely see a rejoin CU/SM on the cards, I believe that was the play all along tbh.

Trash it, snap up the bargains, make it better (not be as good as it was but any improvement is pure profit).

Edited by Toonpack

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

And they're fucked whatever route they go:

Sunak - backing of parliamentary party but not the party members.
Mordaunt - backing on the party members but not the parliamentary party.

It beggars believe that their official title is the Conservative and Unionist Party. They wouldn't know unity if it smacked them in the face.

I don't know where this idea has come from that the membership are dead set against Sunak. He outperformed expectations in the last contest and according to a Yougov poll last week was popular as PM with 60% of them, with only Johnson and Wallace with better numbers.

3 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Oh they won't reverse brexit (that's not what I meant btw), but I can definitely see a rejoin CU/SM on the cards, I believe that was the play all along tbh.

Trash it, snap up the bargains, make it better (not be as good as it was but any improvement is pure profit).

Yeah, I don't see that level of planning at all personally. I don't think there was any long-term plan although that's how things might play out (but ot with the tories rejoining SM/CU, no chance of that). They were paid for by Putin and the capitalist shorters know how to profit. 

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I don't know where this idea has come from that the membership are dead set against Sunak. He outperformed expectations in the last contest and according to a Yougov poll last week was popular as PM with 60% of them, with only Johnson and Wallace with better numbers.

If its the poll I'm thinking of, it was 60% of those that offered an opinion. There was 28% that didn't. But that puts it some way short of 50% in reality.

Not dead set against by any means, but he only has the support of a minority. 

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The comparison to Johnson is where I'm coming from. He's seen as somewhat of a traitor by Johnson-supporting members. Ironic really as his action was precisely what needed to happen to precipitate Johnson's exit in July.

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

I personally think she'd withdraw is what I meant. If she goes ahead you're right, she wil be PM but it will be a Truss mk2 scenario. 

I don't see much point in them battling to 100 today (which is their stated intention) and then withdrawing. I think she still sees this as a route to the top job. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

If its the poll I'm thinking of, it was 60% of those that offered an opinion. There was 28% that didn't. But that puts it some way short of 50% in reality.

Not dead set against by any means, but he only has the support of a minority. 

Don't know was 4%.

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

The comparison to Johnson is where I'm coming from. He's seen as somewhat of a traitor by Johnson-supporting members. Ironic really as his action was precisely what needed to happen to precipitate Johnson's exit in July.

The same poll has Johnson on 63% so there's definitely an overlap with people who support both.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I don't see much point in them battling to 100 today (which is their stated intention) and then withdrawing. I think she still sees this as a route to the top job. 

Good. Because they did say there would be an indicative vote. If Mordaunt gets say 120 votes and Sunak get 240, but she wins the membership, it will yet again undeline how disunited they are and also that she doesn't give a shit about it. 

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Yeah I agree, I can't see her withdrawing. She'd have done so already. She's pitching for Johnson's backers and those still to declare and if is over 100, she'll take it to the membership, irrespective of the MPs indicative vote.