Politics

Christmas Tree

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

They wouldn't win a GE though so I don't see how they can try for that with any expectation of holding power.

They wouldn't expect to, it would be damage limitation with regrouping for a stab at 2027. The problem for them is, the other option, keeping Truss, looks like an existential threat for the party at this stage, with them being annihilated further down the road. 

Aye if we've learned anything from. The past two years, it's that they couldn't give a fuck for following protocol or anything else. They won't have a general election anytime soon, doesn't matter how undemocratic that appears. 

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

There's no way to force them to have a GE in the event of changing leader.

No, but it would be pretty disastrous not to, especially given the economic shit coming their way (even if the markets settle). I just don't think the populace would accept it. 

They've fallen into the exact same trap Labour did a few years ago when Corbyn was leader - the membership has elected a leader that the parliamentary party is rejecting. Renton is right, it presents an existential threat to the future of the party. As I see it there's three options:

1. She recognises the threat and resigns.
2. The 1922 come up with some mechanism to force a change of leader.

3. The party goes beyond the point of no return.

Perhaps it will be option 3. The party as it was no longer exists now anyway, it's hardcore facism.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

No, but it would be pretty disastrous not to, especially given the economic shit coming their way (even if the markets settle). I just don't think the populace would accept it. 

More disastrous than calling an election now and returning with double digit seats? No chance. Unless the new PM has a hell of a honeymoon period you aren't going to get the turkeys voting for Christmas.

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

They've fallen into the exact same trap Labour did a few years ago when Corbyn was leader - the membership has elected a leader that the parliamentary party is rejecting. Renton is right, it presents an existential threat to the future of the party. As I see it there's three options:

1. She recognises the threat and resigns.
2. The 1922 come up with some mechanism to force a change of leader.

3. The party goes beyond the point of no return.

Perhaps it will be option 3. The party as it was no longer exists now anyway, it's hardcore facism.

Problem with option 3 is it completely fucks the country. But you're right, this isn't the conservative party now, it's been taken over by the lunatics and I can't see a way back from that. Thank fuck Labour escaped the clutches of Momentum, just in time by the looks of it. 

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

More disastrous than calling an election now and returning with double digit seats? No chance. Unless the new PM has a hell of a honeymoon period you aren't going to get the turkeys voting for Christmas.

I think the hope would be Sunak would get them into triple figures. Because if they continue down the road they are with yet another unelected leader, against a backdrop of failing pensions and home repossessions, they sure as hell are getting battered every day in the media from now on and will ultimately implode anyway. 

A ‘Conservative commentator’ on BBC news just rated (totally unchallenged btw) Truss’ performance since becoming PM as 7 out of 10. :lol:  
Just fuck off 

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Problem with option 3 is it completely fucks the country. But you're right, this isn't the conservative party now, it's been taken over by the lunatics and I can't see a way back from that. Thank fuck Labour escaped the clutches of Momentum, just in time by the looks of it. 

It's why FPTP needs to be dispensed with ASAP. It encourages and drives the extreme polarity of the political spectrum, neither of which are popular with the majority of the electorate in this country.

We just 'fishtail' between the two in cycles of 10-15 years. There has never been a more pressing need for PR than what the absolutely disastrous political theatre has demonstrated over the past 6-7 years.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Didn’t they just recently change the rules? 

She’s never faced a vote, ( because she’s not even warmed her chair), so what’s stopping them? 

They threatened to change the rules and that's what forced Johnson out. As it stands Truss can't face a VONC in her first year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

They threatened to change the rules and that's what forced Johnson out. As it stands Truss can't face a VONC in her first year.

Is that true, I'm not sure they would have ever anticipated a situation as mental as this. But I think the much bigger issue is despensing of the membership votes. I suppose Brown was coronated but in a much more benign way. And he should really have held a GE to confirm hiis mandate (which would have been before the financial crash, so another sliding door moment). 

On 07/07/2022 at 13:31, Renton said:

Like it was his decision to resign you thick twat. I am probably going to end up hating you almost as much as him. 

Well Renton, 3 months and 1 week on - who do you hate more? :lol:

• Haha 1

And there it is

there must be a complete uturn on trussonomics coming. No hard news yet it but 10 year gilt yields have just plummeted by an absolutely astonishing 39bp - the biggest drop since 1992! Momentum has taken over on the assumption a massive reverse ferret is incoming. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

12 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

You just know if/when the GBP hits a higher point than before the mini-budgshit they'll be proclaiming "look, I was right, the pound is higher than when I took over" !!!

In the same way they said they would put 20k 'new bobbies' on the beat despite cutting 20k coppers in the recent years.

• Like 1