Politics

Christmas Tree

43 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Nah they wouldn't like. It nearly finished the Lib Dems off last time, and that was with a way less toxic version of the Tories. How could they trust anything this lot promised them? 

There's zero chance. 

Politicians in the main are greedy self-serving cunts. You give any of them the opportunity to form part of a coalition, I reckon they'll STILL grab it with both hands - irrespective of who they'd be going into coalition with. 

You're right, it did nearly finish them off but I reckon they were aware it'd be the case and still ploughed on regardless. 

That said, I do think it's highly unlikely to happen. I think it only came off in 2010 on account that Cameron was fairly liberal - both socially and economically. I can't see them aligning with any of the current Tory front bench quite like that.

42 minutes ago, Renton said:

How are the lib dems going to reconcile their EU views with the tory head bangers? Can't see it like. 

That's a very valid point. Brexit most likely would be a huge barrier. But they'd still consider it, I bet.

43 minutes ago, Craig said:

Politicians in the main are greedy self-serving cunts. You give any of them the opportunity to form part of a coalition, I reckon they'll STILL grab it with both hands - irrespective of who they'd be going into coalition with. 

You're right, it did nearly finish them off but I reckon they were aware it'd be the case and still ploughed on regardless. 

That said, I do think it's highly unlikely to happen. I think it only came off in 2010 on account that Cameron was fairly liberal - both socially and economically. I can't see them aligning with any of the current Tory front bench quite like that.

Your third paragraph DIRECTLY CONTRADICTS your first. Now shut it! 

Edited by Gemmill

8 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

This is exactly what the ones who actually are greedy self-serving cunts want you to believe.

This is very true. Do you know any actual politicians Craig? The ones I know are thoroughly decent people who are in it to genuinely help people imo. Hell, even some of our tory councillors probably have good intentions. The current parliamentary crop of tories aren't representative of all politicians. Worth remembering the party was purged and all the MPs had to sign a pledge of allegiance to the psychotic haystack. 

Just now, Alex said:

“They’re all the same” definitely suits the right wing agenda like.

So much so, it's what all the right wing voters appear to have convinced themselves of every time you get into an argument with them.

I never met her myself but a friend of mine worked in the office for Yvette Cooper once. This friend is staunchly left wing, works in the charity sector etc and couldn't speak highly enough of how dedicated and competent Cooper was. She (my friend) didn't agree with every policy but she knew Cooper genuinely wanted to help people. I trust first hand statements like that tbh.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

This is very true. Do you know any actual politicians Craig? The ones I know are thoroughly decent people who are in it to genuinely help people imo. Hell, even some of our tory councillors probably have good intentions. The current parliamentary crop of tories aren't representative of all politicians. Worth remembering the party was purged and all the MPs had to sign a pledge of allegiance to the psychotic haystack. 

Yeah quite sadly the ones I know are greedy self-serving cunts. Stands to reason down this end of the country. 

You make valid points gents - i still wouldn't trust the fence sitters not to dispense with their morals and side up with them if it suited them.

Edited by Craig

5 hours ago, Alex said:

“They’re all the same” definitely suits the right wing agenda like.

5 hours ago, Rayvin said:

So much so, it's what all the right wing voters appear to have convinced themselves of every time you get into an argument with them.

🤔

5 hours ago, Xa9as said:

Really haven't found clarity on this Ukraine/Russia - but siding fairly strong 70-80+-30- to it being total fluff - "Fugazi, Fagazi, It's a Wazi, It's a Woozi"

Whilst no Putin defender... the easiest sell in Western news, or straight up USA media was Putin/Russia Bad. 

Putin doesn't want Ukraine joining Nato, and Nato on his borders. I can respect, and understand that. Putin also knows the USA, and particularly a non-Trump Presidency are war-pigs. Nothing makes money in American politics like War; also it might help his morbid polling levels. 

Putin's old-school KGB - Active Measures, western-subversion.  

Aye, nowt the matter with Putin, he annexes part of foreign countries, poisons his opponents, deploys nerve agents against dissidents in this country and shoots down airliners. He’s just misunderstood 👍

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

What's people's thoughts on Rayner? My friends last night were saying how amazing she is because she came from a council estate and has no formal qualifications. Does that make her a great politician? 

It doesn't, no. It does potentially mean she has more of an idea about what it's like to live in adverse conditions than someone like Boris does, but it doesn't mean she's any wiser on solutions. Not having formal qualifications isn't a plus in terms of competence, although it may be in terms of determination (considering where she is). I thought she put herself through study as a single mum though which IMO is best of both worlds? Maybe I've got that mixed up.

She lost me somewhat on her crime and punishment stance which I just flat out disagree with. She's fine but not a heavyweight whatsoever IMO.

• Like 1