Politics

Christmas Tree

Catch 22. You can’t investigate the parties if you went to them but you can’t prove they happened if you didn’t go. Joking aside this seems to be more or less the tactic the government is actually trying to employ here. 

PMQs should be interesting* tomorrow because Johnson shouldn't be able to answer the question "were you at the May 20 party" by saying "we need to wait for Sue Gray to complete her investigation". 

If I was Kier Starmer I would prepare for that response though, and spend the next 5 questions demolishing the bloke for it. And for his repeated claims that no rules were broken. 

*I'm well aware that with accountability seemingly a thing of the past, the traditional idea that a PM would be caught bang to rights by something like this is a vain hope.

There's even a suggestion that the govt would now welcome a Met investigation because it would put the brakes on Gray's own investigation and put this all to back of mind again. I dunno about that though. 

38 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

PMQs should be interesting* tomorrow because Johnson shouldn't be able to answer the question "were you at the May 20 party" by saying "we need to wait for Sue Gray to complete her investigation". 

If I was Kier Starmer I would prepare for that response though, and spend the next 5 questions demolishing the bloke for it. And for his repeated claims that no rules were broken. 

*I'm well aware that with accountability seemingly a thing of the past, the traditional idea that a PM would be caught bang to rights by something like this is a vain hope.

There's even a suggestion that the govt would now welcome a Met investigation because it would put the brakes on Gray's own investigation and put this all to back of mind again. I dunno about that though. 

where did you read that? :lol:

Can't actually remember. Thought it was the Guardian but can't find it there. They're def gonna pause her investigation if the Met get involved though, and we know they'll take months and conclude fuck all happened. 

Does anyone envisage a graceful relinquishing of power if he does go? I could see him behaving like Trump and pulling every trick in the book to cling on 

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Surely a good proportion of people saying he's still an asset are Labour voters wanting him to stay because of how useless he is.

They had this discussion on the "Oh God what now?" podcast (formerly Remainiacs). There's clearly 2 schools of thought. I'd go with the view he is is still Labour's greatest threat because of his "charisma" which chimes with some red wall voters. Furthermore, I just can't see any effective leader replacing him. Rishi "the midget billionaire" Sunak? Liz "cheese Grommit" truss? Priti "SS" Patel? Dominic "Dover" Raab? Any one of those is also inheriting a colossal economic mess with rapidly diminishing standards of living. 

In any case, there's just the simple fact I hate Johnson mmore than any PM in history (including Thatcher I'm amazed myself) and just want him gone asap. I'll have plenty of hate left  for his useless replacement. 

• Like 3

I can see the logic, especially with the dearth of talent they have, but honestly man they'll just contrive some new bullshit to win next time no matter who is in charge.

Arguably the best thing that can happen to the Tories longer term now is that they lose next time and then can blame Labour for ruining their "otherwise flawless" Brexit, but I doubt it'll actually come to that. They'll summon up some manner of short term bullshit for everyone to get excited about, the press will expose the fact that Starmer was once filmed putting the milk in before the water when making a cup of tea, outrage will ensue, and that'll be that.

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I can see the logic, especially with the dearth of talent they have, but honestly man they'll just contrive some new bullshit to win next time no matter who is in charge.

Arguably the best thing that can happen to the Tories longer term now is that they lose next time and then can blame Labour for ruining their "otherwise flawless" Brexit, but I doubt it'll actually come to that. They'll summon up some manner of short term bullshit for everyone to get excited about, the press will expose the fact that Starmer was once filmed putting the milk in before the water when making a cup of tea, outrage will ensue, and that'll be that.

Yeah, really not sure about this. You've been ground down by years of tory shit I reckon, way to pessimistic. I've always said eventually though the lies run out, and the emperor is revealed naked. Not only that, what really matters is brass in pocket. Now people really feel that. Ours is a well off household, and I already feel noticeably poorer recently. No way is true inflation just 6% imo. Food, utilities, broadband, travel, fuel, council tax, cars, hospitality, holidays, housing all going stratospheric with the imminent promise of NI increases to come. Whole sectors of industry destroyed. And people will notice real practical difficulties with Brexit in terms of travel if nothing else.  That's not politically  survivable imo. Of course its not easily fixable either. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Yeah, really not sure about this. You've been ground down by years of tory shit I reckon, way to pessimistic. I've always said eventually though the lies run out, and the emperor is revealed naked. Not only that, what really matters is brass in pocket. Now people really feel that. Ours is a well off household, and I already feel noticeably poorer recently. No way is true inflation just 6% imo. Food, utilities, broadband, travel, fuel, council tax, cars, hospitality, holidays, housing all going stratospheric with the imminent promise of NI increases to come. Whole sectors of industry destroyed. And people will notice real practical difficulties with Brexit in terms of travel if nothing else.  That's not politically  survivable imo. Of course its not easily fixable either. 

Labour have not won in my politically aware lifetime, and I have at no point been on the winning side of any democratic exercise. So my pessimism is based on the trials by fire I've experienced within democracy :lol: 

Yeah well, times have never been stranger that's for sure. Some things feel a bit 1980ish up here and we know what happened then, but then again I feel the South and tory rural heartlands are also heavily impacted now, and the tories have lost London. I just try to apply my own logic to the situation, it's got nothing to do with being optimistic or pessimistic. I'd add that I think Starmer is an adequate leader and his front bench is taking shape. 

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Will Starmer even be there tomorrow after catching covid? Though Rayner is more than capable of hauling Johnson over the coals.

I’d like nothing more than to see her unleashed on the bumbling tit.