Politics

Christmas Tree

I guess someone didn't do A-level politics. Pffft. 

It indicates how important it is that you attend and vote the way your whip wants you to. A three line whip being the most important and indicating that you will be dealt with should you not oblige. 

Edited by ewerk

The party whip is Nick Brown, isn't it? If so he'll be doing it for his constituency (of which I am part).

EDIT - I imagine I'll be getting an email from him in due course to explain it...

EDIT 2 - It's not him, it's two party whips. Not the chief whip. I was going to say it'd be a surprising turn of events as Brown has stuck with Corbyn solidly.

Edited by Rayvin

Used to live two doors down from Nick Brown.

Anyway, I reckon this is the opportunity the PLP has been waiting for.

Quite possibly is. Still not sure it's actually him that's rebelling here unless ewerk has a source that isn't showing up on Google yet.

That said, if the PLP think they're going to sail back in and retake the party here they've another thing coming I suspect. Labour is going to be hobbled either way, with or without Corbyn.

The party whip is Nick Brown, isn't it? If so he'll be doing it for his constituency (of which I am part).

EDIT - I imagine I'll be getting an email from him in due course to explain it...

EDIT 2 - It's not him, it's two party whips. Not the chief whip. I was going to say it'd be a surprising turn of events as Brown has stuck with Corbyn solidly.

It did cross my mind to check whether he was chief whip or not but decided that I couldn't be arsed.

It did cross my mind to check whether he was chief whip or not but decided that I couldn't be arsed.

I'll be seeing Nick Brown in the next few weeks or so, I'll make sure I ask what kind if whip he uses and which antiseptic he applies afterwards? :good:

Dividends are less tax efficient this year following a change in the rules.

I have to say I havent been following UK tax laws - but I bet less tax efficent does not equal an equivalent to PAYE + NI  - or anywhere near ?

I actually almost feel sorry for corbyn on article 50. He's basically stuck between a rock (the Islington remoaner establishment elite) and a hard place (the traditional, patriotic, white working class brexiteer).

I have to say I havent been following UK tax laws - but I bet less tax efficent does not equal an equivalent to PAYE + NI - or anywhere near ?

The dividend route is still better than paye but not as good as it used to be.

There are alternatives for contractors which have emerged in the last few years which I looked at when I was last looking for a job just in case but I found some of them very dubious morally.

I actually almost feel sorry for corbyn on article 50. He's basically stuck between a rock (the Islington remoaner establishment elite) and a hard place (the traditional, patriotic, white working class brexiteer).

How he has the nerve to even use whips is beyond me. He commands no respect whatsoever. MPs should vote according to their constituency. That'll still trigger A50 by 60:40 like but never mind. We're fucked either way now.

Nobody apart from the liberals is having the courage to say it's the wrong choice. The tories know their approach will damage the country as a whole more but are going for it for political reasons as they usually do.

It's hard to see what Corbyn can do - a free vote would probably be split as Gloom says with the London MPs voting against and those wary of UKIP voting for - shit sandwich either way really.

I think he's taking a stance that'll most benefit Labour in the next GE.

He would have resigned months ago if he cared about that. Wasn't he asked by a journalist a while back if he'd like to be PM, but he couldn't even answer that affirmatively?

My point was though the serial rebel can't expect others to tow the line. He's a massive hypocrite.

So because he opposed Blair's excesses he should never whip his MPs?

Not a strong leader/dictatorial over use of the whip.

Just Blair's excesses?

Honestly, we are desperate for an effective opposition in this country but Corbyn has decided his MPs must support the government. His leadership is beyond pathetic and he is heading to electoral annihilation.

Just Blair's excesses?

Honestly, we are desperate for an effective opposition in this country but Corbyn has decided his MPs must support the government. His leadership is beyond pathetic and he is heading to electoral annihilation.

They are indeed. They'd be heading there without him too, IMO, but either way they're fucked.

Who cares though, the Tories moved centrally so what difference does it make to NuLabs? They're nearer to the NuLab position than Corbyn is surely?

They are indeed. They'd be heading there without him too, IMO, but either way they're fucked.

Who cares though, the Tories moved centrally so what difference does it make to NuLabs? They're nearer to the NuLab position than Corbyn is surely?

By now Rayvin you must know that I know your opinion and you know mine. If you think a May government is the same as a Miliband one, for instance, then that's your prerogative. Working in the NHS I don't think so. Of course Corbyn is going to want to push A50 through as well, it's what he believes in.