Politics

Christmas Tree

Which comedian is that?

And spot on, I'd say. The same issue exists in management to be honest. No one is thinking beyond the next 5 years, tops, into the future - as they probably won't even be in the same company these days. So you get decisions being made that look good in the short term, but which have long term negative consequences that can be identified, but which aren't dealt with because they'd lower EBITDA in the short term.

Dismal state of affairs. There needs to be a cultural shift towards long term rewards, especially as we're living longer.

I also don't think politicians should be afraid to come out and say that we need to reduce populations. I'd support motions along those lines. I'd support a two child limit in the UK ffs.

The comedian is called Bill Burr, iirc Gemmill likes him too and not just because he's of the same zero kids opinion as him. The joke starts along the lines of him impersonating a politician at a rally saying: "I will institute a policy that will eliminate 45 to 55% of you starting immediately, there is a short quiz under your seats to determine the first batch, if you don't have a pen or pencil with you you're already out!".

Aye it is depressing stuff, people joke over here that a President doesn't want to make major moves in their first term as they want to win a second term, then once they get a second term their party doesn't want them to make any major moves as they want to have their next guy get in power, I think you do get some presidents that try and force their hand in their 2nd term but on the whole it rings true. 

Agree about a need for a shift into long term thinking but unfortunately a vast proportion of voters are thick. Imagine how upset people would be if you told them they could only have two kids, whether it's right or not wouldn't matter, then the oppositions bloke would simply waltz out and go "fuck that nob, vote for me and you can have 15 kids if you want" and they'd win in a landslide. Long term we're all completely fucked, I suppose the silver lining is we'll no doubt be long gone by the time the shit really hits the fan and we run out of food/water/space but it's going to be pretty fucking grim for our future generations.

Edited by Howay

I'll drive off a cliff at the first sign of dementia.

Everyone thinks that but it's not everyone has insight that's it's happening to them

I can see some type of Logan's run law coming in one day where you can sign an advanced decision to be euthanised if 2 independent doctors verify you have dementia

Everyone thinks that but it's not everyone has insight that's it's happening to them

I can see some type of Logan's run law coming in one day where you can sign an advanced decision to be euthanised if 2 independent doctors verify you have dementia

As long as I get the chance to jump on the bones of a 25 year old Jenny Agutter I'm not complaining.

I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about what is going on in Columbia between the government and FARC but the idea that a peace settlement was reached and then put to referendum before being voted down by the general public is stunning:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/02/colombia-referendum-rejects-peace-deal-with-farc

So the Columbian public want blood. Honestly, referendums should be made illegal under international law or something, people are too driven by emotions to make rational decisions when acting as a collective.

I've got no idea why people decide to have a second kid after the trauma of the first tbh

our first one was a breeze compared the second born, who will only sleep through the night in our bed, snuggled up to her mam and inevitably with her toes by my face, kicking me all night. 

if it was down to just me i'd let her scream herself to sleep for a couple of nights. she'll soon get over it. the problem is we both work, so it's easier just to get her into bed with us than to go through a week of pain for the long term gain. and the wife is a massive softie. 

I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about what is going on in Columbia between the government and FARC but the idea that a peace settlement was reached and then put to referendum before being voted down by the general public is stunning:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/02/colombia-referendum-rejects-peace-deal-with-farc

So the Columbian public want blood. Honestly, referendums should be made illegal under international law or something, people are too driven by emotions to make rational decisions when acting as a collective.

Voted out by a massive 50.24%.

That's another thing wrong with referendums. The Brexiters are acting like they've got a huge mandate to do what the fuck they like, when in reality any logical conclusion to the referendum would have been the country is approximately split on the issue. If it had been pitched as hard Brexit versus Remain, I'm fairly sure Remain would have won.

But you're a bad loser if you bring these facts up. So hypothetically, what if there was only one vote in it? Would that have been a mandate to rip up the status quo?

Voted out by a massive 50.24%.

That's another thing wrong with referendums. The Brexiters are acting like they've got a huge mandate to do what the fuck they like, when in reality any logical conclusion to the referendum would have been the country is approximately split on the issue. If it had been pitched as hard Brexit versus Remain, I'm fairly sure Remain would have won.

But you're a bad loser if you bring these facts up. So hypothetically, what if there was only one vote in it? Would that have been a mandate to rip up the status quo?

The logical argument would be a soft Brexit because they closeness of the vote should mean compromise. However, all May's bothered about is winning the next election. If hard Brexit means that then that's probably the shit sandwich we'll all have to chew on.

That's a fucking good point actually. It absolutely should be a compromise position.

I suppose the only credible counter-argument to that would be if soft-Brexit did more harm than good to the country... but we'd need another referendum to determine everyone's thoughts on that anyway.

I see the Tories are promising spending on building affordable housing, and have abandoned any pretense at gaining a budget surplus, claiming instead that they will be looking at pragmatically reducing the deficit instead of making key pledges. This latter point means that they can no longer be judged on the economy any more, as they can just claim that their 'pragmatic' targets are farther into the future.

The housing one is a win for Corbyn I would argue. I'd suggest he's focusing their minds on actually having to help people. Hopefully we can pull them further left.

As an aside, he (Corbyn) was up in Newcastle over the weekend. The first time I can recall seeing any politician of any relevance on the ground talking to people...

I see the Tories are promising spending on building affordable housing, and have abandoned any pretense at gaining a budget surplus, claiming instead that they will be looking at pragmatically reducing the deficit instead of making key pledges. This latter point means that they can no longer be judged on the economy any more, as they can just claim that their 'pragmatic' targets are farther into the future.

The housing one is a win for Corbyn I would argue. I'd suggest he's focusing their minds on actually having to help people. Hopefully we can pull them further left.

As an aside, he (Corbyn) was up in Newcastle over the weekend. The first time I can recall seeing any politician of any relevance on the ground talking to people...

Governments always promise to build more houses. Nowt to do with Corbyn. The problem is not the will, but getting planning permission. That's where they all usually come unstuck. Edited by Christmas Tree