Politics

Christmas Tree

Barely an hour before Andrea’s announcement, Theresa May had been launching her own bid for the Tory crown in Birmingham, implying that life was too short to stuff a Leadsom. May declared of her overwhelming victory in the parliamentary stage of the contest: “The result shows that after the referendum the Conservative party can come together.” Admittedly, they came together for an orgy of political homicide. But having devoured their weakest, the nest must now move on together to find new food sources.

Marina Hyde in the Guardian. Always superb and scathing, but this was my favourite passage. Rest of the article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/11/leadsom-fresh-meat-tory-orgy-political-homicide

Barely an hour before Andrea’s announcement, Theresa May had been launching her own bid for the Tory crown in Birmingham, implying that life was too short to stuff a Leadsom. May declared of her overwhelming victory in the parliamentary stage of the contest: “The result shows that after the referendum the Conservative party can come together.” Admittedly, they came together for an orgy of political homicide. But having devoured their weakest, the nest must now move on together to find new food sources.

Marina Hyde in the Guardian. Always superb and scathing, but this was my favourite passage. Rest of the article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/11/leadsom-fresh-meat-tory-orgy-political-homicide

I did tell you how superb the Conservative party is at uniting.

Labour is finished. The plp needs to leave Corbyn to it and firm a new party, it'll take more than a few weeks though.

Aye, I can only see a split sorting this. Problem is it's a massive brand to leave behind. Lots of voters will automatically mark their X in the labour box.

Themselves rather than the nation, unfortunately.

I think you are going to see a very different Conservative party under May. The shock wave from the referendum and the desertion of the middle ground by Labour has ensured that.

I think you are going to see a very different Conservative party under May. The shock wave from the referendum and the desertion of the middle ground by Labour has ensured that.

Why do you think that...? The Tories are smack bang in the middle of what now passes for the centreground. She's not exactly going to take them to the left, is she?

:lol:

CT, how is she going to deliver less austerity without making everything the Tories have done in the past few years look like nothing other than the ideologically driven dogma that we all know it is?

It's the "focusing on the working class" that's the joke.

She's tried and failed already to reduce immigration especially non-eu.

They won't build Council houses. They won't force SD or anyone else to make jobs permanent or better paid.

They won't increase funding for education or the NHS.

What will they do CT?

:lol:

CT, how is she going to deliver less austerity without making everything the Tories have done in the past few years look like nothing other than the ideologically driven dogma that we all know it is?

The political world has shifted! We've already seen Osbournes target shoved into the long grass. All sorts can now happen in the name of national importance / uniting the country.

This is going to be more like an early new labour government.

Less austerity = pretending they never had any plans to turn the balance of payments into credit by the end of this Parliament along with a few income tax cuts in the run up to the next election.