Politics

Christmas Tree

We'll be worse off by £1,267 in 2017 according to that. Way to go! :thanks:

(I'm a 'hardworking tax payer' by the way. Thought he was going to look after us?)

Edited by Howmanheyman

Someone earning £50,000 will be £141 a year better off while I'll be £1,267 a year worse off on less than half of that? I'm starting to think George and Co don't care much for my sort, CT? :unsure2:

Not sure where you get your drop from. Can't see anything that would cause it. Are you a non Dom ?

I'm assuming the bank levy currently in place nets more than this, given that this move is intended to keep HSBC in the UK.

The levy was a bad tax and somewhat indiscriminate afaik.

Someone earning £50,000 will be £141 a year better off while I'll be £1,267 a year worse off on less than half of that? I'm starting to think George and Co don't care much for my sort, CT? :unsure2:

That's obviously not good for you, but the general theme of using taxpayers money as a crutch for business is a bad idea. Business in the UK one way or another is subsidized to the tune of 92billion by taxpayers. Need to get that down. Thought the Tories were relatively tame and was expecting bigger attacks on the more vulnerable in society. At the end of the day Tories are soft right so most of this will be smoke and mirrors for public consumption and didn't expect anything fundamental to change and it would have been the same if it had been Labour. Both are pretty much a front for the ruling elite. Right now there is no alternative. When a genuine movement comes to claw back rights and fairer distribution of wealth it will be under unabated attack from day one....But it will come.

Edited by Park Life

The levy was a bad tax and somewhat indiscriminate afaik.

It disproportionately hit the big banks and left the smaller, "challenger" banks alone. This 8% is applied across the board - I'm fairly certain it'll work out as a net giveback to the sector though, which taken together with the reduction in corporation tax is just the Tories doing what they do.

It disproportionately hit the big banks and left the smaller, "challenger" banks alone. This 8% is applied across the board - I'm fairly certain it'll work out as a net giveback to the sector though, which taken together with the reduction in corporation tax is just the Tories doing what they do.

In that case I agree with you.

Have a look at the share prices of all the challenger banks today. :lol: Osborne announces the 8% levy at about 1pm, all of the challengers fell off a cliff about 2 minutes later.

Have a look at the share prices of all the challenger banks today. :lol: Osborne announces the 8% levy at about 1pm, all of the challengers fell off a cliff about 2 minutes later.

:case:

Edited by Park Life

This 8% is applied across the board - I'm fairly certain it'll work out as a net giveback to the sector though,

Treasury estimates suggest the new profit surcharge and the changes to the levy will bring in about £1.7bn in extra revenue over the next five years.

Treasury estimates suggest the new profit surcharge and the changes to the levy will bring in about £1.7bn in extra revenue over the next five years.

They're phasing the levy out though, you massive balloon knot. So once the levy goes and they're just left with the 8%, what then?

That's right, it's time for you to shut your face again.

If it bites they'll find a way around it.

What they should do is introduce a weath cap, say 2billion (nobody needs more money than that). The rest should be put to work on social programmes and the like. Sounds mad I know... :lol:

For it to work it would obviously have to be Europe wide. The super rich would get busy applying for citizenship in Panama or whatever until we freeze all their European assets and investments and embargo all their businesses and monies that infringe on our territory. ;) Or just hunt them down in the night like the fukin jackals they are...

There is even a softer way of doing it by just going after the tax exempt foundations and charities they set up to hide money....Even softer would be to tax religion and land - 1/3 of all the land in the UK is in the hands of the dark side (church, royals, foundations, trusts etc...).

Seriously I could sort this shit out in a couple of weeks (but I wouldn't live that long). :lol:

Edited by Park Life

I read a thing post crash which said a one-off 10% tax on all non-property wealth over £1m would clear the deficit - and of course since then that wealth will have gone up by just a little bit more than 10%.

On the scale you're talking about I'd close down the channel islands and the british virgin islands and confiscate all the money there - the only reason to have it there is tax evasion.

The mad thing about UK politics is the fact that the house of commons, as seen today, is overloaded with overpaid MP's who are exempt from the ridiculous polices they fathom up. Like they live in a parallel utopia.

A perfect example of this is the fact they have capped public sector pay rises to 4% over 4 years, at the same time they passed a bill to give themselves a 10-11% pay rise even though they are effectively public sector workers themselves.

But we're all in this together remember.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

The mad thing about UK politics is the fact that the house of commons, as seen today, is overloaded with overpaid MP's who are exempt from the ridiculous polices they fathom up. Like they live in a parallel utopia.

A perfect example of this is the fact they have capped public sector pay rises to 4% over 4 years, at the same time they passed a bill to give themselves a 10-11% pay rise even though they are effectively public sector workers themselves.

But we're all in this together remember.

MP's pay is independently set. It has nothing to do with them. They don't vote for it.

Also

"The facts are pretty clear. Two-thirds of MPs take a pay cut to enter parliament".

Fucking facts eh ;)

And fiddle their expenses, take back handers and arrange lucrative directorship positions which their privileged position affords him, leaving them substantially better off.

Assuming that stat is even true in the first place, it sounds like bullshit to me. Where are you quoting it from exactly? You can't just put any old shit in quotation marks and call it a fact, that's not how it works.

Your right in that it is an independent pay review body but the government had the opportunity to bin it but they didn't. MP's also had the opportunity to take the pay rise or not, granted most people would accept a pay rise in their line of work but it is hypocritical to then put a pay cap into policy.

The only reason you could put forward a case for this rise is it's supposed to be cost neutral. Apparently they have lost out on the expenses front and similar from their pension situation and got the money back with an increase in their basic pay. Seems like a good idea until you actually think about how their job gives them many opportunities to earn money as a spin off. They employ wives and girlfriends, sons and daughters as researchers and little helpers. They even groom their kids to take over in the next parish, if not their own. Just imagine getting a safe Labour seat at 25 years of age. You could be there 'till you were 90 with no pressure at all and that's based on today's life expectancies. It's not just pay that needs looking at, it's the whole package of entitlement, birthright and cronyism.

CT, I struggle to comprehend how you're a working class taxi driver and you vote Tory? Do you not understand how politics works? Staggering. No-one in their right minds can be working class and vote Tory, the Tories don't even represent the middle class any more.

Also, you present very poor arguments to very relevant points me and others on here put across. You don't seem to understand what you stand for. Like a parody account.

Edited by Anorthernsoul