Politics

Christmas Tree

National service need not be tied in to the military. A voluntary "citizens service' started last year with 30,000 signing up for the four week event.

95% of participants found it beneficial.

At 16 your next electrician and your next doctor could both benefit from a national service of this type.

Valuable life lessons could be gained leaving more compassionate understanding and aware citizens at the end of it.

Do you have a breakdown of the demographic of that though? Basically I want to know how many charvas attended. :D

Schools should probably also be changed to allow a wider range of subjects to be studied, certainly with more of them practical (like maths could tie in with engineering or something, so kids are building things with the maths they're learning). These courses should not be looked down on, and should be given similar standing to conventional academic subjects. That way, people will be given more opportunity to excel, and will have more pride about their capabilities. Possibly being a bit idealistic here though...

Not really - it works for the Germans, for a start. When I was teaching English over there, kids of 15-16 who weren't after a university education would often start "learning" specific careers. Not to the extent that they were tied into that particular job forever, but they'd study combinations of vocational and academic subjects plus on-the-job training for a certain profession - I worked with classes of everything from booksellers and jewellers to mechanics and garage attendants. Even the latter had to learn English, but specifically including the kind of English they might actually need in their jobs, e.g. when dealing with foreign drivers who needed help.

Just a small example, but ultimately the country isn't obsessed by that whole "university is everything" aspiration that Blair forced upon us here, and it recognises vocational and career-oriented qualifications as equally valid. It also has a hugely healthy engineering sector, strong exports and a SME landscape to be proud of. Funny that...

They day will come when their modern day equivalent returns.

Ever dwindling money into government, combined with an ever increasing population must at some point have severe consequences.

Is this something that you would be in favour of btw?

Who's going to pay for compulsory NS like? Somebody had better tell the armed services of CT's latest brain wave, cos they don't want anything to do with either charvers or reluctant nerds.

Jesus wept.

Not really - it works for the Germans, for a start. When I was teaching English over there, kids of 15-16 who weren't after a university education would often start "learning" specific careers. Not to the extent that they were tied into that particular job forever, but they'd study combinations of vocational and academic subjects plus on-the-job training for a certain profession - I worked with classes of everything from booksellers and jewellers to mechanics and garage attendants. Even the latter had to learn English, but specifically including the kind of English they might actually need in their jobs, e.g. when dealing with foreign drivers who needed help.

Just a small example, but ultimately the country isn't obsessed by that whole "university is everything" aspiration that Blair forced upon us here, and it recognises vocational and career-oriented qualifications as equally valid. It also has a hugely healthy engineering sector, strong exports and a SME landscape to be proud of. Funny that...

I thought part of Blair's 50% drive, which I agree is fundamentally wrong, was to bring us in line with much of Europe?

Really interesting, that. I suspect this would make a huge difference to disaffected youngsters.

In least surprising news article of the day, more public sector job losses.

http://www.guardian...._medium=twitter

Public sector workers face further job cuts in the struggle to reduce the cost of government, the chief secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has said.

The Treasury wants to save £5bn by encouraging efficiency in Whitehall departments, including merging back-office functions and cutting spending on office supplies by improving procurement. According to Alexander, this would remove "waste in Whitehall and the wider public sector, of which there is still a considerable amount".

Such efficiency would lead to job cuts, he told the Daily Telegraph.

"Further spending reductions will also have an effect on the workforce. As long as the quality of services doesn't change, there's no reason not to sack some more of the people now providing them.

"What I want to make sure is that we find savings in a way that maintains the quality of services that citizens receive. As you move more services online, that means existing channels are not needed, or needed to a much lesser extent, and that means you don't need to employ as many people in those areas."

Alexander also said that depriving richer pensioners of the winter fuel allowance remained a possibility for the next parliament.

"There is a case for looking at whether benefits like winter fuel allowance go to multimillionaire pensioners. As we look to how we deal with the continuing financial problems over a number of years, that is a question that is perfectly reasonable to discuss. That is not necessarily within the context of a limit, that is just a policy choice," he said.

Alexander admitted that economic growth had been disappointing, but blamed the eurozone crisis and weakness in the banking sector among other reasons, rather than ministers.

Official figures published this week showed that borrowing reached £121bn last year, and would remain at a similar level this year and next, rather than being significantly reduced.

Asked about whether he and the government had questioned the success of its spending cuts and tax rises, Alexander said: "If you're asking me have we reflected on the evidence and talked to our economists and asked what are the factors influencing us, what's changed in our economy, then yes, of course I have". But "that has just reinforced my view that the strategy we have embarked upon is the right one for the country"

I thought part of Blair's 50% drive, which I agree is fundamentally wrong, was to bring us in line with much of Europe?

Germany may be an exception of course, but I'm pretty sure the figure there is more like 20-30% (depending on who you ask). Of course it might be a question of how certain institutions are classified and/or where you can get the kind of education you need - if it's only available at university here then you're not going to not go, given the chance...

Poor performance wasn't it? He's usually unflappable in those situations - - where was the trademark wit and charm to deflect the difficult questions?

He didn't do too well here either:

http://www.newstatesman.com/staggers/2013/03/boris-johnson-heckled-almost-two-hours-lewisham

Plenty of fun YouTube footage too. Of course it won't change a thing about what's going to happen, but ho hum...

Boris gets it up the arse ........

http://m.bbc.co.uk/n...litics-21916721

Been away this weekend, just seen that :lol: don't know if its enough to stop him being the next tory leader....we're getting more and more Americanised in politics so Boris may just seen as our George Bush junior... a laughably stupid establishment placeman with next to no power but nominally running the country,

Edited by PaddockLad

Christmas Tree do you still think Dave is the best Prime Minister of your life time? As in would you say that he is in fact a top boss?

Well?