Christmas Presents

The Fish

i honestly couldn't tell you the last time i asked my parents what to get me for christmas. the best present they could possibly give me would be to not all descend on my house, along with the inlaws.

Edited by Dr Gloom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i can't honestly couldn't tell you the last time i asked my parents what to get me for christmas. the best present they could possibly give me would be to not all descend on my house, along with the inlaws.

:D I really like Christmas but I'm also terribly glad to have a small family. The parents have learned to go to Lanzarote for a bit of winter sun every year, so I nip up when it's my dad's birthday in early January instead and deliver them a nice bottle of plonk from Selfridges and all is fine. Christmas itself is spent with the inlaws and they're the kind of people who say several months in advance that they want this film or this Jam CD reissue, and for all that's desperately unromantic, it makes life a heck of a lot easier. They buy me whisky.

I never asked for stuff as a kid either. We never had that much money and were never brought up as greedy kids. It's one of the reasons I have to ask people to calm down with xmas presents for the bairn as I don't want her to be one of these kids who wants and expects everything. Lass at work has an 18 month old and she says she's bought him 30 odd presents and he'll be getting more. Scary, pointless, and just a pissing contest.

Some quality Ales and a good book, that's all I ever want these days!

*puffs pipe*

Our first born is 5 months and I'm trying to stop family from buying tat. Keep getting asked what he needs, as if we've let him go 5 months without the stuff he needs :D

The wife has bought one play chair thing and I've said that will do someone who is oblivious to what is going on.

I said for years when people asked me what I wanted that there was nohing, or if they wanted to get something then a small surprise would be lovely...but after too many CD's I already have...or that are shit...clothes that I wouldn't use to wash the floor and blu-rays when I didn't have a player....i started keeping my amazon wishlist up to date with stuff from £2 to £200 and directed people to it. It avoids offence when you open a present and can't help but look at the giver like they're a complete moron.

I tend to just ask for Amazon vouchers if people ask. Saves them hassle and means I have a kindle book fund on hand that lasts me through the year.

Unless I impulse buy stupid shit, which is what I did this year.

I never get booze despite quite obviously being an alcoholic. I bet I'll get the usual boxes of Celebrations off aunties but I'd rather they just got me 6 cans of lager.

nothing says happy christmas like a six pack of stella

i'm inclined to agree with chez here, the whole notion of telling my parents what to get me for christmas is something i probably last gave any serious thought to back in the early 90s.

:lol: I've got a mate who drinks incredible quantities of lager, but he won't touch anything but Carling. Absolutely inexplicable.

there's nothing worse than going to a festival or gig at the sort of venue where you can't bring your own booze in and the only beer on tap is carling. worst lager ever. undrinkable stuff.

nothing says happy christmas like a six pack of stella

Once I'm finished with them, I'll be happy, instead of sitting around bored after I've finished my dinner.

:lol: I've got a mate who drinks incredible quantities of lager, but he won't touch anything but Carling. Absolutely inexplicable.

My mate's the same. Even worse is that he's usually rat arsed after 6 pints of the piss water.

I know blokes in their 20s, with their own kids, who still get their big christmas present and then all the other smaller presents, games and tat laid out for them and their stocking filled.

I destroy those lads because that's a fucking outrage as far as I'm concerned. If my mam is going to spend £30 on a gift regardless though, I don't see any problem in telling her I'm not actually that fussed on Smash Hits CD's any more.

Managed to trim my presents (to & from) down to 4 this year: mam, mam's partner, gran & auntie. Should be achievable for buying - already started on my mam's presents - and I've just asked for money in return to spend on holiday.

I haven't been arsed for a number of years about gifts - probably since I was a kid but i really enjoy the company and buying stuff for people,

Just stuff that they like so much everyone's laughing, like the year we got my mam a nintendo Wii with wii fit or last year I took my brother to Wembley for England vs Brazil.

I get cool stuff too but I get more satisfaction out of getting people nice surprises because I'm impossible to buy for and generally have the things I want and have nowt to ask for :up: