Christmas Presents

The Fish

Well it's happened, I'm now at that age where I expect bum all of use from family at Christmas. I mean, they still ask me what I want, but frankly most of the things I actually want are out of their price range or are things I'd need to pick myself (clothes and the like).

So my question is this, what the Hell can I ask for? Aftershaves aside, I don't really have a clue.

oh and 10pts goes to the 1st person to mention an Asda voucher

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two episodes down, probably on 4oD I imagine.

(Apologies for the thread hijack, Dave. Ask people to get you booze then invite me, Ollie and Matt over to destroy it all. Simple.)

Booze isn't a bad shout actually.

My Amazon wishlist includes all the Raspberry Pi and bits you need to get streaming movies and TV as instructed by Gemmil, cycling gear, Xbox live subscription, Blu-Ray box sets, xbox games, an ipod classic and the Sony KDL55HX853 55-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p SMART 3D Dynamic LED Television.

The last one has been on there for 3 years now like :(

Cheap bastards.

Cancel the raspberry pi. A bunch of UK ISPs have just blocked the 1channel and Icefilms sites. Chances are they'll come up with a workaround, but I couldn't recommend getting one at the minute.

It's still working fine for me, but my sister is on Sky and hers is kaput. For now at least.

Well it's happened, I'm now at that age where I expect bum all of use from family at Christmas. I mean, they still ask me what I want, but frankly most of the things I actually want are out of their price range or are things I'd need to pick myself (clothes and the like).

So my question is this, what the Hell can I ask for? Aftershaves aside, I don't really have a clue.

oh and 10pts goes to the 1st person to mention an Asda voucher

Never ever, ever call CT again.

:lol:

Cancel the raspberry pi. A bunch of UK ISPs have just blocked the 1channel and Icefilms sites. Chances are they'll come up with a workaround, but I couldn't recommend getting one at the minute.

It's still working fine for me, but my sister is on Sky and hers is kaput. For now at least.

Bah.

Think I'll still get one anyway, I had it on my wishlist last year before i even knew about this use for it, but no-one got it for me.

It depends how much of a faff you consider it to be to be plugging the laptop in to the tv etc. This is always on and you can operate it with the tv remote. The pi is completely silent too, and I know my laptop can get canny noisy playing HD movies.

Other than that, you can run XBMC on your laptop just the same as on this.

I got a Chromecast recently which basically involves plugging it into the HDMI port and then streaming wirelessly from the laptop. All I really watch on it are downloaded films and TV shows and it's been great. Takes a couple of seconds to load a film and I can still use my laptop while it's streaming. It's simple and works well for my uses. Only downside is that I can't stream AVI files but most of my stuff is MP4 anyway.

Does that stream anything that's on your local network? I'd read somewhere that they were going to be restricting it to paid services like Netflix and Hulu alongside thing like YouTube.

Sounds good if it's not restricted.

Does chromecast add anything to a standard Blu-Ray player or smart-tv or console that streams from your home network?

Or is the benefit a cheap alternative to any of those 3?

Does that stream anything that's on your local network? I'd read somewhere that they were going to be restricting it to paid services like Netflix and Hulu alongside thing like YouTube.

Sounds good if it's not restricted.

It's basically cheap and cheerful. It hasn't been launched in the UK yet so even things like Netflix and Hulu aren't available on it. It basically streams whatever is in your Chrome tab or watching on Youtube on your laptop. Video files are played through Chrome which supports most of the files I've tried. I'm guessing you could stream the likes of Netflix via your browser. I'm not sure if you can stream blu-rays through Chrome. It is limited but is grand for a casual user such as myself and saves me messing around with HDMI cables and allows me to use the laptop while streaming.

Cheers, doesn't sound much use to me then.

There's so many devices that will stream from your network now it seemed odd to me that Google would release a dedicated device. I thought the likes of Apple TV and WDTV (which I'd lump chromecast in with) would be a dying breed now that your xbox, PS4, TV, Blu-ray, tv recorder, speaker systems, phone, tablet, laptop all offer wifi network streaming as standard without the need of any extra dedicated devices.

Like you suggest though, I suppose it is half the price of WDTV or Apple TV so can pick up that niche of people with older tech who don't want the expense of devices that allow wifi streaming....not a long term business model though...thought it would be someone other than Google that would go for it.