Our first XI

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Who thinks we have a good first 11 capable of creating chances and scoring goals?

If the 1st team is

Krul

Debuchy Colo Mbiwa Santon

Sissoko Cabaye

Ben Arfa ----------------- Gouffran

Remy Cisse

I think we've pace, creativity and goals, if it's not, we don'.

We have a decent first 11. We've a poor/unproven second 11.

Agreed, as I'm sure most would. While our first team is defiantly stronger than this time last year, our second is weaker with the departures over the summer and no replacements.

Really looking forward to seeing our attacking intent over the coming games, hopefully they keep injury free and we can have a run of games for them to gel together.

We have a decent first 11. We've a poor/unproven second 11.

The club website only lists a senior squad of 20 so we don't even have a proper second 11!

The remaining 5 are probably taken up by the likes of Vuckic, Dummet, Campbell, Shane, Tavernier

Agree with the 4-3-3 with Anita ideas. It should definitely be given a try, it's not like any of the systems last season came off particularly well. I can't see Gouffran and Ben Arfa as our wide midfielders providing any kind of defensive support.

Also RollingStones makes a good point re. Ben Arfa - how many goals did he score cutting in from the right on his left foot in the last few months of the 11/12 season?

Anita in the middle for me with Gouffran dropped and 433

Like this?

Krul

Debuchy colo Mbiwa Santon

Anita

Cabaye Sissoko

Ben Arfa Cisse Remy

I'd be worried about the space on the wings for fullbacks, but yeah it's not a bad formation, probably best to do that at home though.

Who thinks we have a good first 11 capable of creating chances and scoring goals?

Seeing as we're only 3 games into the season isnt it a bit difficult to answer that question? We can only base it on last seasons evidence, meaning the answer is no, in as much as the team suffered lots of injuries, the younger players weren't good enough when given a chance, there was little time to spend proper time drilling the first team due to the demands of Europe well into April etc etc...

All you can say for certain is we've got a talented squad on paper.

I don't even think the second 11 is that bad. Elliot, Haidara, Dummett, Saylor, Williamson, Anita, Tiote, Marveaux, Jonas, Shola, Sammy.

Obviously that team would struggle to say the least but even with our injury record, the likelyhood of that team ever playing a competitive match is virtually zero. You would worry that there's not a massive amount of goals there though.

I know we want to see ourselves with a squad that can compete up at the very top of the league but that isn't going to happen. But compare our squad to that of any team outside Manure, Citeh, Arsenal, Chelski, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton and it will compare well overall.

Interesting to note for prosperity btw that most people's first 11 does not include Taylor, Tiote and Jonas.

I only note this because all three would still be in Pardews first 11 and it could be that Lady Luck has contributed to all 3 being absent and Pardew stumbling on a first 11 that just might click.

(Before it gets to October and he claims the credit) ;)

Interesting to note for prosperity btw that most people's first 11 does not include Taylor, Tiote and Jonas.

I only note this because all three would still be in Pardews first 11 and it could be that Lady Luck has contributed to all 3 being absent and Pardew stumbling on a first 11 that just might click.

(Before it gets to October and he claims the credit) ;)

There's a huge difference between wanting Gouffran to start ahead of Jonas, and demanding that ANYONE start ahead of Jonas.

There's a huge difference between wanting an impressive Mbiwa to start ahead of Taylor and wanting ANYONE to start ahead of Taylor.

There's a huge difference between wanting an improving Anita to start ahead of a cinsistently faltering Tiote and wanting ANYONE to start ahead of Tiote.

There's a huge difference between wanting Gouffran to start ahead of Jonas, and demanding that ANYONE start ahead of Jonas.

There's a huge difference between wanting an impressive Mbiwa to start ahead of Taylor and wanting ANYONE to start ahead of Taylor.

There's a huge difference between wanting an improving Anita to start ahead of a cinsistently faltering Tiote and wanting ANYONE to start ahead of Tiote.

or indeed anyone but santon

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/34134-newcastle-v-fulham/#entry1187825

I don't even think the second 11 is that bad. Elliot, Haidara, Dummett, Saylor, Williamson, Anita, Tiote, Marveaux, Jonas, Shola, Sammy.

Obviously that team would struggle to say the least but even with our injury record, the likelyhood of that team ever playing a competitive match is virtually zero. You would worry that there's not a massive amount of goals there though.

I know we want to see ourselves with a squad that can compete up at the very top of the league but that isn't going to happen. But compare our squad to that of any team outside Manure, Citeh, Arsenal, Chelski, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton and it will compare well overall.

it's not that great on paper. we'll see like over the course of the season but it looks weak to me. there are a few unproven kids in that second string alongside at least a couple of proven donkeys.