Aston Villa vs Newcastle United

Aeris

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hansen was on MOTD on Saturday and he was lamenting Crystal palace's insistence on playing out of defence against Man U and just walking into their trap every time. I agree with him they should just welly it whenever in doubt.

Simpson, Williamson, Taylor, Ferguson is a back four every bit as poor as Palace.

When in doubt hoof it out? That's school boy stuff HF, it's fine when you're massively up against it, but those 13 games weren't all against a high-pressing Man U side. Hansen was saying that, against that kind of opposition Crystal Palace cannot dally on the ball.

A couple of seasons ago Hansen was also saying that Swansea's insistence to pass the ball out of the back would cause them problems from time to time, but it allowed them to turn defence into attack more consistently, because it was more controlled. He would be one of the first to berate Palace for launching endless long balls because "against this kind of side, without a top class target man, they're just coming straight back at you".

I've not discounted anything. Current form tables can tell you a great deal about a clubs trajectory.

Or not, as the case may be. Otherwise simple logic dictates that any team with recent good form would just get better ad finitum. Never works like that, obviously. Edited by Renton

See Williamson and Simpson are, in my view, average to poor premier league players.

Simpson is an average championship player. Watched him the other week and his crossing was wank and positional play poor even at that level.

Many of the sides performances last season were judged through the prism of having Colo and Ben Arfa etc in the squad when the reality was Williamson and Marveaux were the ones on the pitch playing.

If he wasn't such a smarmy arrogant cunt then people would be a lot more willing to give him praise when we do well. His sickening over the top support (every single week) of his boss (a globally recognised cunt) beggars belief. Not one manager in the history of football has referred to a clubs finances as much as he does, and any redeeming features he may have will always be tarnished by his arselicking in my eyes.

Fair enough, Luis Suarez probably suffers from the same fate.

I have seen people on here and elsewhere saying 'he shouldn't get any credit for merely starting the 11 players in the positions that everyone has been saying they should start in'

The logic and reasoning behind that is just barmy, its the logic of extremists who contort every argument to fit their world view. And daft.

Simpson is an average championship player. Watched him the other week and his crossing was wank and positional play poor even at that level.

Many of the sides performances last season were judged through the prism of having Colo and Ben Arfa etc in the squad when the reality was Williamson and Marveaux were the ones on the pitch playing.

My point was that when Pardew was unable to play Plan A because of the personnel available, he tried a Plan B that flat out didn't work. That's fine once or twice, but he persisted with a formation and style that didn't work. I disagree with your assessment of Simpson, but that's just my opinion and the overall point remains the same. Even when you have Williamson and Marveaux instead of Colo and Ben Arfa you needn't immediately switch to Stoke-ing your way through games.

Nonsense. Man U and Arsenal away for one and Simpson looks poor in the championship.

Simpson looked decent in the season we finished 5th.

Man U and Arsenal away we were absolutely destroyed, so I'm not sure of your point? That Pardew has a Plan C? A Plan C where we shipped 11 goals?

Fair enough, Luis Suarez probably suffers from the same fate.

I have seen people on here and elsewhere saying 'he shouldn't get any credit for merely starting the 11 players in the positions that everyone has been saying they should start in'

As one of your "barmy army" I'll point out what you seem to be missing. The three first teamers who have given way were all forced out through circumstances other than Pardews will.

Had he tactically decided to omit though players he would get credit.

The bit of credit he does get is not allowing them straight back in, though we'll see how well his nerve keeps on Saturday. The same starting 11 and he may just be learning.

Learning from taxi drivers. The combination of ignorance and arrogance could fuel a fucking atom bomb. :lol:

Aye the only thing in football is picking some names and saying ''you stand here''.

Idiot.

Simpson looked decent in the season we finished 5th.

Man U and Arsenal away we were absolutely destroyed, so I'm not sure of your point? That Pardew has a Plan C? A Plan C where we shipped 11 goals?

That your point of him only having a plan B of stoke-ing his way through games is rendered nonsense by the words Manchester, United and Arsenal.

I still don't really understand why there is a significant undercurrent of anti-Pardew malaise. We've discussed at length who the alternative is.

Also, I remember reading this piece in the Guardian back at the start of last season:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/sep/28/alan-pardew-eight-years-contract

Also see this one from the season where everything was rosey:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/01/newcastle-united-alan-pardew-plaudits

If the guy was obviously getting things right then, even in some of the areas that you guys are criticising him, he can't surely have forgotten how to do it. I think this gives weight to HF's version of events. I acknowledge that this media source (especially given that it's Louise Taylor) is not necessarily reliable - but I thought it worth including.

That's not to say that people like McFaul who attack him because he's an Ashley loyalist are wrong mind you, as there's definitely something unpleasant festering there - but even so, I don't know how I'd manage it any differently. He clearly wants to succeed for himself and his reputation - he's never struck me as content to just pick up a pay check.

I think most of the discussion/argument here is centred on people defending previously held opinions. The truth is, I would think, that none of us are all that sure what the reality is, especially after a game like the Villa one where we suddenly looked alright again. Time will tell, but if he keeps it up like this, will people have the stones to come out and say they got it wrong I wonder? You don't see a lot of that around here.

Prick

Why don't you fucking educate yourself in the game? Then ''over complicated'' would be the norm and then you wouldn't look such a tit.

If it was as simple as saying ''433'' and ''attack'' or your version ''443'' everybody would be a football manager on £1m a year.

Why don't you fucking educate yourself in the game? Then ''over complicated'' would be the norm and then you wouldn't look such a tit.

If it was as simple as saying ''433'' and ''attack'' or your version ''443'' everybody would be a football manager on £1m a year.

Shut it, Robert Plant.

I still don't really understand why there is a significant undercurrent of anti-Pardew malaise. We've discussed at length who the alternative is.

Also, I remember reading this piece in the Guardian back at the start of last season:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/sep/28/alan-pardew-eight-years-contract

Also see this one from the season where everything was rosey:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/01/newcastle-united-alan-pardew-plaudits

If the guy was obviously getting things right then, even in some of the areas that you guys are criticising him, he can't surely have forgotten how to do it. I think this gives weight to HF's version of events. I acknowledge that this media source (especially given that it's Louise Taylor) is not necessarily reliable - but I thought it worth including.

That's not to say that people like McFaul who attack him because he's an Ashley loyalist are wrong mind you, as there's definitely something unpleasant festering there - but even so, I don't know how I'd manage it any differently. He clearly wants to succeed for himself and his reputation - he's never struck me as content to just pick up a pay check.

I think most of the discussion/argument here is centred on people defending previously held opinions. The truth is, I would think, that none of us are all that sure what the reality is, especially after a game like the Villa one where we suddenly looked alright again. Time will tell, but if he keeps it up like this, will people have the stones to come out and say they got it wrong I wonder? You don't see a lot of that around here.

I don't think people are wrong. Pardew IS a very limited manager indeed.

But he's been doing a surprisingly reasonable job based on my expectations of him and the tools he's been given (by which I mean the second string).

No one said its that simple tit, but we also don't all need to have a degree in football to follow Newcastle or discuss Newcastle. There are many many thousands inside st James park who love Newcastle but couldn't give a flying fuck about how many versions of 433 there are.

You eat sleep and breathe football. That's nice. No need to act like a child every time you post :)