Mark Lawrenson is a prick

The Fish

Newcastle v West Ham

Newcastle had a nightmare at Manchester City in their opening game, losing heavily and having Steven Taylor sent off. There seems a lot of uncertainty about the Magpies at the moment - and we don't know if Yohan Cabaye is staying, or if he will play on Saturday.

After what has happened at the club this summer, including Joe Kinnear's appointment as director of football which I think has undermined manager Alan Pardew, I would expect a noisy reaction from the Newcastle fans for their first home game.

Fans don't win matches, but that home support of the 'Geordie Nation' could make a real difference.

newPic_3178_jpg_194458a-246x300.jpg

Allardyce managed Newcastle for eight months, winning eight of his 24 games in charge

From West Ham's point of view, Sam Allardyce will be looking forward to going back to St James' Park. He has a real bee in his bonnet about his time and his treatment there, and quite rightly so.

After the Hammers beat Cardiff , Allardyce said his next aim is to improve their poor away record. They only won three times on the road last season, picking up just 13 points out of a possible 57.

It is easier said than done, though, and he will have to make a decision about which way to play away from home. Is he going to try to shut up shop, which is the what they have been doing, or will they go at teams like they do at home?

For me, it is worth trying the latter. Yes they will get one or two beatings, but they will win a few too, and I am sure they would do better overall.

Prediction: 2-1

That's us bummed then.

12/5 for an away win. Not quite sure why we're strong favorites for this..

I've never bet against us but could have made a fortune in hindsight :)

Maybe because we've only lost at home to them three times in 40 years, mind one of them was last season. Bookies take a lot from those stats.

• 4 months later...

Newcastle v Stoke City

Stoke have won two and drawn two of their league games in December but their improved form is not a big surprise to me.

_71932459_71932457.jpg

Stoke have only lost one of their last eight league games since the start of November

It was always going to take their manager Mark Hughes a bit of time to get things right after taking over from Tony Pulis and they are starting to look more like they are Hughes's team - they are hard to play against but they try to play football too.

They were short of goals at the start of the season but slowly that change of style seems to be kicking in.

Newcastle are also on a good run too and they have gone under everyone's radar a bit.

They are sixth at Christmas and people seem to be forgetting to say what a good job their manager Alan Pardew has done.

The Magpies are at home, where they have only lost once in the league this season, and I think they will keep their run going.

If Pardew is not careful, he might end up qualifying for the Europa League next season. I am not sure he would want to.

That sounds a bit daft to say but Newcastle have a very good first XI yet their squad is not the strongest and they only have to look at Swansea to see that competition can become a hindrance.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Guy Mowbray's prediction: Stoke are looking hard to beat again, and it's Newcastle law that they beat the big guns at home and toil in the games you'd think they were more likely to win. 1-1

Edited by The Fish

Can you really say that after this run of form?

Yes. He's a BBC journalist; he can say whatever he likes, that doesn't upset Liverpool or Manchester United fans.

Southampton were two points behind us and have given teams better than us good games, Swansea, I'll give you.

Making a prediction based on "Well, this thing sometimes happens" is exactly why football coverage is fucking shit.

Southampton were 2 points behind us on a downward slide with a chunk of first teamers missing.

Southampton were two points behind us and have given teams better than us good games, Swansea, I'll give you.

Making a prediction based on "Well, this thing sometimes happens" is exactly why football coverage is fucking shit.

We are also the only team to give Sunderland three points whilst taking the same off Chelsea and Man U.

• 1 month later...
Newcastle v Tottenham

Tottenham beat Everton on Sunday despite not playing very well, which is fine, but what worried me was the lack of cohesion in their team. I just thought they looked average in all departments.

Newcastle are in the middle of a difficult spell - they have 37 points so they are not going to get relegated and they are probably not going to finish any higher than seventh.

The Magpies are not in free-fall, but it does feel like they are in limbo.

Maybe the only good thing to come out of their last home game, that derby defeat by Sunderland, is that on Wednesday the crowd will be letting them know that they will not stand for that kind of display again.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Geraint's prediction: I am hoping Tottenham lose going up there. They probably won't even score either! 1-0

Do you ever get the feeling that the media just aren't paying attention to what happens up here? How in fuck are we going to win this exactly Lawro?

:lol:

If you had've heard Merson and co we were only missing Cabaye against the Mackems.