The Proms

Jan

Anyone been to any of the events?

I want to Castle Howard on Saturday even though it was hossing down we still managed to have a great time.

This is my third trip to the Proms in Yorkshire I would love to go to see it at the Albert Hall.

Does that make me middle class??? :rosetintspecs:

A good friend of mine who defines middle classness and whose upbringing proves to me I'll never be anything but working class no matter what argues that The Proms were invented to give the plebs the chance to appreciate the finer things in life. I accept that that might be their origin but now they epitomise everything I despise about the worst excesses of what passes for patriotism in this country - especially the last night with the flag waving bullshit.

Are the non-Last Night nights particularly patriotic? Genuine question - I thought it was mostly just repertoire and modern classical music at the Royal Albert Hall and that. That's what seems to clog up the schedules on BBC FOUR at this time of year, anyway.

I am very patriotic and love all the pomp and circumstance that comes with the Proms. Yes there was a lot of flag waving but there were people there from all over the world so lots of over flags and not just the Union one.

They played a range of music both instrumental and lyrical and the night flew by despite the fact it was raining and cold.

Are the non-Last Night nights particularly patriotic? Genuine question - I thought it was mostly just repertoire and modern classical music at the Royal Albert Hall and that. That's what seems to clog up the schedules on BBC FOUR at this time of year, anyway.

Probably true - I guess I'm showing my inverted snobbery by defining the whole thing by the last night.

Probably true - I guess I'm showing my inverted snobbery by defining the whole thing by the last night.

I wouldn't worry, I'm an inverted inverted snob because I am painfully middle-class yet I curse the Proms for displacing Top Of The Pops 1978 from the telly schedule.

I wouldn't worry, I'm an inverted inverted snob because I am painfully middle-class yet I curse the Proms for displacing Top Of The Pops 1978 from the telly schedule.

Its just started this minute on bbc4...been watching the docu on europop in this country, as you also undoubtedly have ;)

Its just started this minute on bbc4...been watching the docu on europop in this country, as you also undoubtedly have ;)

TiVo'd, but aye. Nobody's getting a bit of Demis Roussos past me. :D