Anyone have dreams of getting away from it all?

Park Life

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people are brave, consider life is for living and too short to be a slave to a wage. The rest of us are cowards.

Sad but true. Kinda makes me aspirational to hear it laid that bear though... why should any of us continue to be slaves to wages so that other people can live their dreams?

Couldn't think of anything duller than manual labor in some isolated farm thousands of miles and hundreds of pounds from friends and family. Drink the wine buy the food but don't actually move there ffs.

What you need is a job you don't mind and to appreciate that your life's there to be enjoyed, and there's a million and one ways to do that without the risk of waking up one morning and realising that your 'getting away from it all' has only resulted in being depressed in a different language with some shitty grapes to show for it.

Is it wrong that I just turned 25, am in the fourth year of what is considered the 'dream job' starting out in my profession, and am already thinking about this? Once I thought its just because I work in the insanely exciting finance industry but as it turns out it seems most people have similar thoughts.

Is it wrong that I just turned 25, am in the fourth year of what is considered the 'dream job' starting out in my profession, and am already thinking about this? Once I thought its just because I work in the insanely exciting finance industry but as it turns out it seems most people have similar thoughts.

We're not really designed to live like sardines in cities. There is an existensial unhapiness about it all. Some people feel it straight away and with others it creeps up on them.

I woke up the other morning in a right state thinking I was still in one of my old selling jobs. I felt physically sick.

When i realised I wasn't and that O didn't even have to get out of bed if I didn't want to, the relief was euphoric.

I think most people would be very happy where they are on lives (locality / friends etc) if they just didnt have to work so hard chasing the dream.

We're not really designed to live like sardines in cities. There is an existensial unhapiness about it all. Some people feel it straight away and with others it creeps up on them.

I grew up in a small town in County Durham... got really bored of it and hated Durham city centre with it's shitty cobbled streets and history... I wanted pubs, clubs and the bright city lights.

I left at the age of 18 and didn't miss it one bit.

Now at the age of 33 I hate living near Newcastle, I avoid going out drinking like the plague and find the hustle and bustle a real grind. Then I got to Durham and think 'how the fuck did I not appreciate this before?' with it's quaint cobbled streets and history :lol:

Going to move to the Northumberland countryside in a few years and properly get away from it all, live in a little stone house in a little village and should be fully self employed by that point.

I definitely know what you mean by it creeping up on them... That's happened to me 100%

Try living in the centre of Paris. I have the choice between here and the countryside in Switzerland. All i have to say is 'move me to Switzerland' and the company would fall over itself to get me there.

I dont think i want to impose such a shit location to be brought up in on my kids. Spend their lives acting out scenes from Heidi and then have to deal with the world and get a job 20 years later.

I want my kids to grow up street smart and ambitious, hence we stay here.

Try living in the centre of Paris. I have the choice between here and the countryside in Switzerland. All i have to say is 'move me to Switzerland' and the company would fall over itself to get me there.

I dont think i want to impose such a shit location to be brought up in on my kids. Spend their lives acting out scenes from Heidi and then have to deal with the world and get a job 20 years later.

I want my kids to grow up street smart and ambitious, hence we stay here.

That's interesting as although I don't know much about Switzerland I'd imagine all that outdoor space and scenery would be great for kids to grow up in?

Mind you Paris is supposed to be culutral (never been so no idea what the relaity is like) so that's not a bad place either I guess.

I understand that, but I dont mind city life at all, at least not yet. At the moment I think its got more to do with having adolescent dreams of 'making a difference' being shattered and realising 90% of us are just paper pushing slaves :lol:

I don't think it's that simple, I moved from dublin to rural france at 25 for 7 or 8 years, it's what I needed at the time, but it was boring as fuck, and insular. the scenery was amazing, there were pros to living there like you mention, but then you remember the small minded village life and ultimately humans are humans, no matter how many you live next to. and even though the culture in rural france trumps the uk and ireland in similar spots, it pales in comparison to any major city.

also, I think friendships/relationships are a numbers game, if you're an ornery bastard with unrealistic standards like myself, you need a much bigger pool to swim in.

Would absolutely love to live in rural Northumberland, or even better, the lakes or highlands. Not possible though, as the jobs tend to be in cities.Commuting from Northumberland is possible but a massive ball ache. Not possible for the other two. Have to stay in England too for work reasons, so dreams of France or Italy are pure fantasy for me. Tynemouth it is then, paper shuffling.

Would absolutely love to live in rural Northumberland, or even better, the lakes or highlands. Not possible though, as the jobs tend to be in cities.Commuting from Northumberland is possible but a massive ball ache. Not possible for the other two. Have to stay in England too for work reasons, so dreams of France or Italy are pure fantasy for me. Tynemouth it is then, paper shuffling.

Aye Rothbury is lovely and so I kind of fancy somewhere over that way, or Scottish Borders... I reckon if you live in the borders it's not too far a drive the Berwick to catch the train every day to Newcastle. Plus if it snows it properly snows so you have to work from home (although depends on your job if that's possible I guess)

That commute is unsustainable for any longer than a few months.

I've done 110 miles round trip every day for the best part of 4 years....if the moneys right, an hour in either direction is ok iyam. 40 minutes on the train from Berwick doable, but I imagine the season ticket would be pricey to say the least.

That commute is unsustainable for any longer than a few months.

Depends really... I mean live in Walker and commute for 5 mins each way everyday, or live in the Borders and commute for an hour and a quarter each way... depends on whether you value where you live more than how easy it is to get to work and back.

My commute can be: get up at 6am, taxi, train or car to airport, flight at 8am from CDG to GVA for one hour, land 9.15 usually, wait 50 minutes for hourly train, train for 1 hour 15 minutes, call car service for pick up from station to office (7km). Arrive office around 11.45am. Return 2 days later.

Thankfully its not every week but sometimes its that plus another trip in Europe overnight somewhere.