Man Utd & Man City Pre-season Fishing trip

The Fish

Well, I finally finished sorting through a whole stack of answers, so first of all thanks to the lads at RedCafe and BlueMoon for their answers and their welcome. Obviously I've done my best to represent the balance of views from both sets of fans, but you can read all the answers here and here respectively.

The idea behind this was two-fold. Firstly to get an idea of what others fans are thinking and secondly to get me back in the habit of writing. I'll be trying to get answers from a pair of clubs each Monday before the season starts. I'll fail, but at least I'm fucking trying.

What's a realistic aim for your team this season?

Mrs Smoker: We're United, you could argue that realistic aim every season is Treble. Though, with end of an era, it might be a bit too hard. League title for sure. Rest, great bonus.

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself: With a new manager coming in, I'd just like us to compete for the title and go in the latter stages of the Champions League. Moyes is a great manager, but after the retirement of Fergie, it'd be difficult to hit the ground running.

Ghagua: Premier League and FA cup winners. Champions league 1/4 finalist.

Kostur: Not to sound too pesimistic but I think that Mourinho will have a good start to his renewed career at Chelsea this season, so fighting for Championship will be really interesting to watch and hard to win at the same time. I suppose we won't be rocking COC or FA cup either, eager to see how we do in CL. We could end our season with 0 trophies and I won't be too bothered, though I'm not crossing out retaining our championship.

Sillwuka: Winning the League title is always priority for me personally, At least the 1/4's of the Champions League and to win one of the FA CUP or the League cup.

Bluesince93: There or there abouts for the league, advancement in the CL and good run out for the younger players in the domestic cups.

Nixon_The_Bike_Thief: Champions, out of CL group, 1/4's of the Domestic cups as a minimum.

lancs blue: Serious title challenge, a domestic cup final and making it through the CL group stage. No pressure, Pelle!

Stoned Rose: Champions and to get out of the groups in the CL (this will depend on the calibre of the group again though).

ChicagoBlue: Top 3 (MC, MU, CFC in some order), Domestic Cup, Beyond the Group Stages of the CL (depending on whether we get Group of Death AGAIN, as we are a third seed!!).

Cityfan: The aim has to be the title realistically we may come up just short and probably will start behind Rags/Chelsea in the betting.

Where do your team need to strengthen to achieve this?

The overwhelming majority of Man U fans (77%) called for strengthening the centre of the park. Matherto commenting “SAF's biggest achievement and biggest failing over the last few years. Winning with such a poor (relatively) midfield but also not getting adequate replacements/new signings in and therefore relying on Giggsy and getting a retired Scholesy back”. At the time of asking, most were hopeful of securing Thiago, so it seems the club’s is joining the fans in making the signing of a quality central midfielder a priority. 15% of the fans would like a winger, but that is definitely in addition to the central player.

City fans were less focussed, a healthy majority (47%) called for another striker (either as a replacement for Balotelli or Tevez), however they suggest in their answers that their team needs strengthening in several areas; Full Back (8%), Centre Mid (6%), Centre Half (17%) and a Winger (19%) to complement the newly acquired Navas. It appears Centre Mid was more of a concern until they signed the £30m Fernandinho. There definitely seems to be faith that despite any shortcomings they may still believe they have, the City fans expect they’ll be sorted before the window shuts. Caveman sums it up when he says “The two areas I thought we were weak last season was a lack of pace and mobility in central defensive midfield [we've signed Fernandinho in this area]; and players that could add pace and width to our play in attacking/creative midfield [we've signed Navas in this area, and I'd like one more] these players can add counter-attacking to our play too as that is an aspect of our play that we simply did not have last season (all these weaknesses contributed to us not winning owt last season).

nk37.pngg2ab.png

Which new Premier League players are you looking forward to seeing?

Obviously the majority of fans are most focussed their own new players, so stripping the home bias away it seems that most are still waiting for a ground-breaking transfer to really get excited about. Paulinho, van Wolfswinkel and Schurrle are all on the radar, with Bony not far behind.

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself: Looking forward to see how Paulinho plays. Spurs are building up a very good side. It's been a strange transfer market so far, static.

Solihull Samba Boys: Navas is certainly one, had a good Confederations Cup. If Arsenal sign Higuaín it'll be interesting to see if he can adapt to the physical nature of the Premier League. That Bony that Swansea have signed is supposed to be shit hot too.

Sir David Moyes: Bony, Aspas, Zaha and Navas I'm all curious about. The marquee signings of the year are yet to come though.

NipHolmes: Our own first and foremost. After that it's the likes of Schurlle, Van Wolfwinkel, Liverpools new players to see if Rodgers has chosen well and of course your lot to see how JFK has done. Other than that not bothered.

Singhisking: Marco Van Ginkel, Dwight Gayle (see what all the hype is about), Stekelenburg (people wanted us to get him after VDS retiring) and Jesus Navas

Bluesince93: That young chap Everton signed on loan from Barca, Van Wolfswinkel

Matherto: Paulinho looked good at the Confederations Cup so will be interesting to see him at Spurs. Yaya Sanogo looked a talent at the U20 finals but the Prem is a completely different kettle of fish so I wonder how often Wenger will use him. Still more interested in transfers that haven't happened yet (Thiago, Bale, Suarez, Cavani, etc) but that's just muppetry.

Kun: Dwight Gayle, Higuain, Paulinho and Van Wolfswinkel

Ronnie Wallwork: I like Van Wolfswinkle. Think he's using Norwich as a stepping stone.

Kun Aguero: Navas, Van Wolfswinkle, Bony, Okara.

Scarecrow: Tonev, Higuain (?), Bony, and all our new players.

ChicagoBlue: Fernandinho. Any time you spend £30M+ on a player you don't really know, you want to see what the fuss is about! Also, Higuan, if he goes to The Arse and Shurrle at Chelsea. Don't want EITHER to be successful of course!!

Hojoon Lee: Not a lot of exciting transfers happening in the PL. Paulinho looked very impressive in the Confederations Cup.

Stoned Rose: Schurrle, Delofeu, Bony.

Which of your players do you predict having a big season?

Most Man U fans (14 of the 20 asked) going for Shinji Kagawa to have a good year, the expectation also seems to be that the injured players who missed a noticeable amount of last season would return with a vengeance. This trend is mirrored by the City fans; many expecting Aguero to have a cracking season (one even suggesting a 40 goal season for the little Argentinian), but again they’re slightly more split than their friends from down the road.

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself: I think Rooney will be the league's best player this season. He'll play with a point to prove. Hopefully it'll be with us and also Kagawa will be a class act.

Matherto: Vidic. Needs an injury free year to cement himself as the player we know he is. If he's on form then our defence is much better. Hernandez. If he plays more he will score more, just glad he's not gone to the Gold Cup so he can have a rest.

Sillwuka: Shinji Kagawa, i think he'll make the step up to being a player that we can rely on. De Gea to establish himself has the best keeper in the league yet again.

Hojoon Lee: Kagawa. Being more lucky with injuries and knowing the players' movements after a full season should take him to the next level.

Tarrou: I think Vidic will be back to his best this year. Kagawa should improve and I'm hoping Moyes plays him centrally.

Never Mind The Pollocks: Think if Aguero can stay injury free he'll be top scorer next year, I've also got a feeling we might see the best of Silva (apparently Pellegrini is a big fan). Hopefully Guidetti can get a few games under his belt.

Solihull Samba Boys: I think Aguero and Silva will greatly benefit from Pellegrini's open style of football. Fernandinho's price tag probably shocked a lot of people but I think he'll come up with the goods in the engine room. Nastasic had a great breakthrough season last year and if he can continue his progress there's no end to what the lad can achieve.

Jimmygrimble: If Navas and Fernandinho settle quickly, I could see them making a massive difference to our team and the way we play. I also feel if Rodwell finally stays injury free, he could have a big part to play and may surprise quite a lot of people. Milner aswell if he gets more chances

lancs blue: David Silva, the additions of Navas as a wide pacy option and Fernandinho as a powerful box to box player should stretch the opposition and give him more space to work his magic.

ChicagoBlue: Nastasic, who was the REAL Young Player of the Season; Silva, who didn't get a break last summer and it showed for much of the season; Fernandinho, who is supposed to be the high speed link between defence and attack.

Which of your players do you expect to have a disappointing season?

This question probably isn’t worded all that well, either many respondents seem to think it means which players will perform badly, or they just don’t want to seem negative about their own players. Either way for the Red half of Manchester, Ashley Young is the cause of most concern but here’s some noticeable exceptions:

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself: Paddy Evra. He's on a decline for a few years but next season will be tough for him IMO.

Matherto: Carrick possibly, but hopefully only slightly in relation to how good he was last season. Would expect the likes of Nani, Young, Anderson to disappoint as per usual if they're still here.

Tarrou: I'm a bit pessimistic about Valencia flourishing under Moyes but I hope I'm wrong. If Andersen stays I expect it to be his last year ,as presumably Moyes will strengthen in midfield so he'll struggle to get games.

Ronnie Wallwork: Jones but the media will still wank over him and claim he's "the new Bryan Robson"

Sillwuka: I hope none of them. Smalling might struggle to get the games he needs though.

While over on the Blue side it’s a divided camp once more, with Garcia and Yaya Toure being the most offered suggestions.

NipHolmes: All of then were played within themselves. Only Zabaleta and Nastasic were of the standards expected. Garcia is absolutely dross though. Got stung there.

Jack Wills: Any one of them could have, just like last season. Hopefully Pellers can get the best out of everyone though, but if anyone's going to be rubbish I'd imagine it will be Garcia.

Blue and Proud: None, but Yaya needs to step it up from last season, which I think he will do.

Solihull Samba Boys: Hard to say. Garcia hasn't really shown much so far, and given his lack of pace and his tendency to dwell on the ball he might struggle to adapt to a new style. So I'll say him.

Jimmygrimble: Time will tell, but with plenty of depth in our squad, I don't think anybody will really get chance to have a disastrous campaign for us. A couple of poor performances and they will just be replaced by somebody who will step up and take their chance, meaning the player dropped will find it very difficult to get back into the side unless their game improves.

rick773: Maybe not disappointing but nasti may not progress as fast as he did last year and people will probably be more critical of mistakes

Which fixtures do you immediately look for?

Part of the reason I began this madness was that little excitement that comes with the release of the fixture list. I immediately checked for the 1st set of games, then the run in, checked out the Boxing Day fixture then with trembling hands searched for when the unwashed would come calling. After a thorough Dettol scrub I asked a mate which he looked for, he said it was always Man Utd home and away (the poor bastard’s wife is a proper Man U fan), then sunderland, then the visits to the London clubs he now lives near so he could make sure he’s free the following day. Then he said Everton and could give me no good reason why, he just always has. So I figured I’d find out how the other fans react to the list:

8c48.pngeqbn.png

The Manchester derby clearly weighs heavy on the mind of both flavours of Manc, but the it seems old habits die hard for the Red half. 31% still looking out for the date they need to hide the family silver when the Cheeky ScousersTM come calling. The Liverpool games are almost three times as important to them as when they’re playing their genuine title challengers (Chelsea 12%) and it’s interesting not a single fan that answered looked for the Arsenal game, despite their history with the North London club. After the derby day had been settled upon the City fans soon got down to the important business of which clubs supported the best night out after. I know it’s daft, but it is nice to see that fans of both clubs still look for when they play us, I mean, sure it could be because it was a Geordie that asked the questions and they were just being polite, but when you’ve won Fuck all in decades you have to take the wins where you can.

Which away game are you looking forward to the most/least?

The derbies clearly spark the most excitement in us. Man Utd fans still love taking the short trip to Anfield (probably because they’ve only lost 7 in the last 20 trips to the red half of Mersey). Quite a few of the fans of both clubs said that the night out was important when they checked for fixtures. No great surprise that Newcastle and Cardiff featured highly but it was a surprise (to me at least) that a lot of fans said Fulham was a good night out… maybe I’m biased against them because of our piss poor record?

pvy4.png

While derbies did fill some fans with dread I was amazed they didn’t feature higher, most of the following dreaded fixtures were either because of a hoodoo, or in the cases of Hull and sunderland, they’re just awful places to visit. Special mention to Stoke, fans don’t want to visit for two reasons; the shocking state of the town, and the increasing likelihood that their players will get a kicking all over the pitch and inevitably end up on the treatment table for weeks after.

4cnf.png

Kostur: The least ? Stoke match probably, always worried that somebody might be hurt.

Matherto: Least = Any of the promoted teams, we usually have a hard time against at least one of them (plus Hull is a giant shgthole). Chelsea is always tough because the ref does his best to beat us for them. Mourinho will be tougher still.

RORY65: I always look forward to going away to the North London clubs and to Newcastle. I can never enjoy our matches at Liverpool (in recent years we've played terribly at Anfield) and Stamford Brigde (where we have a poor record)

Tarrou: Liverpool away the most. Sunderland away the least, always seems to be a bit drab but maybe Di Canio will liven up their team this year.

RobinVP: I'm looking forward to City away and I dread Chelsea away.

Never Mind The Pollocks: Most: Funnily enough, your lot. Always a great trip Least: None really. I don't fear anyone this year.

Solihull Samba Boys: The most, yourselves and Fulham, as above. The least, Everton and Sunderland, we get Fuck all there!

Jimmygrimble: Cardiff is a new ground and first away game aswell, so looking forward to that

lancs blue: Always look forward to the Swamp derby the most. The least? Probably Palace this season as it's such a drag of a journey.

speccybob 8: Hate the promoted teams away, one of them always springs a surprise (Swansea/So'ton in the last 2 seasons)

What's your most memorable game against NUFC?

Newcastle have, despite our lack of trophies, can at least look back at the incredible games that we’ve been part of. We’ll obviously have our favourite victories locked away in the memory vaults, to be fetishised further whenever Mike Ashley decides to go off on another trip down "I'm a Fat Fucking Mental Cunt" Avenue. I can pretty much recite the commentary from Man United’s visit in 96/97 and our trip to Feyenoord in 02/03. But what do other fans remember of games against us?

Matherto: There's been a few for good and bad reasons. The 1-0 at St. James' when you battered us and then Cantona won it. The 5-0 at your place. I still haven't forgiven Phillippe Albert for lobbing Schmeichel and then his smug, stupid, moustached face celebrating. The 6-2 when Scholesy got a hattrick and 5-3 at OT earlier that year. 4-3 last season was good too.

Kostur: I think that this 3-0 at St James' Park with Jones' own goal. Was such a frustrating match, I think there was some streak of matches where our wall couldn't be arsed to jump during free kicks, and iirc they did this shit again and Cabaye scored.

Ronnie Wallwork: The 4-3 loss, you lot went 3-0 up, we pulled it back to 3-3 then scored the winner then Keane grabbed Shearer by the throat.

Tarrou: Without doubt the 0-1, the year Cantona scored and Schmeichel had a stormer. You guys absolutely pummeled us that year but we somehow came away with the points. I remember the build-up to the game was massive, and it didn't disappoint.

Tom07: United 6-0 Newcastle, Ronaldo's first hattrick in a United shirt

Loads of them remembered Paul Scholes’ hat trick game from last year, but I’m not sure if that’s because it’s recent or because the affection they hold for him or something else.

No prizes for guessing which Newcastle game shines brightest in the City fans’ memories. Though a few went against the grain, remembering an Emile Mpenza inspired 1-0 in -7 and some went further back to recall the 3-3 in 96 when Tino was a very naughty boy.

Bluesince93: 2 stand out for me. My very first MCFC away game with my grandfather in 2001 when we beat you lads 1-nil on Shearers come back thanks to Goater goal and more recently the game when Yaya stepped up and scored the two goals in our title winning chase. Also loved the way your fans came up and wished us best of luck after the game. Great day.

NipHolmes: 2012. Must win game against a good Newcastle side who were playing great stuff. Yaya ;)

Stoned Rose: 0-2 in 2011/12. Pivotal moment and the first time the possibility of City winning the title actually felt 'real'. Unbelievable emotions.

2sheikhs: 3-3 at Maine Rd. (apart from that twat asprilla doing his daft celebration about 10ft away from me)

Caveman: The 0-1 to City at St James' when Mpenza scored late on. It virtually kept us up that season and if we hadn't won i reckon we might have gone down.

Newcastle have been in the papers for all the wrong reasons again, what's your take on the Kinnear debacle?

It’s obvious a hugely important topic for us Newcastle fans, but as ever it’s good to get an outsiders view. What’s clear is that overall, this appointment has left football fans across England & Wales confused. Most seem to feel sympathy with us, all find it baffling (although somewhat amusing). Though there are 1 or 2 dissenting voices to that sentiment.

Hojoon Lee: Embarrassing and hilarious.

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself: It's been a mess and I feel sorry for the Newcastle Fans. I thought Ashley was getting things right by having a good setup at Newcastle, but he has made two critical errors in the past 6-7 months. First was getting Pardrew an eight year deal and secondly hiring Kinnear to the job.

Matherto: I just can't believe it really. To do so well two years ago, bringing in good players and having a good year to what happened last year was strange but giving Pardew 8 years was always gonna result in something bad. Not this though. It's a return to Newcastle being a joke in a way and Kinnear is as big a joke as you can get. The guy is clearly just a washed up has-been who doesn't know what day it is, let alone how to help run a football team. I sense it'll get messy very quickly between the two of them. Feel sorry for the fans out of all of this.

Sir David Moyes: Its happened now. Going forward the club needs to show solidarity and support Kinnear, even if it is a horrible appointment. I do feel sorry for what the fans are going through though.

Fully Fledged: Embarrassing for you but hilarious for the rest of us. I worry where he will take one of the biggest clubs in the EPL.

Eric’sCollar: Kinnear is a walking circus, no club in modern football can grow with him involved. The manager needs full control.

Kostur: Guy's a clown, great entertainment for us, bad news for you.

Blue and Proud: Cannot understand it. If you've got a history of heart problems the last thing you need to do is piss off the Geordies.

Der Bomber: I remember saying at the time - this sounds like something we would have done during the Swales era. So to that point, hang in there Geordies! We follow our clubs all our lives and what we learn along the way is that we'll have shit managers, shit owners, shit "directors of football" inflicted on us along the way. But it doesn't last forever. The shit ends up getting flushed eventually. I always liked and respected your lot in general and wish you guys the best.

Sneakitawc: I honestly think that most people are looking at joe kinnear's appointment from the wrong perspective -- mike ashley, billionaire, has far more business acumen than what the common opinion suggests. i'd say that kinnear was hired for the sole purpose of transforming pardew into a white knight for the supporters.

Solihull Samba Boys: Surprising, to say the least. The season you finished 5th it looked like Ashley had got his act together and was building a good unit. For whatever reason you didn't strengthen anywhere near well enough last summer given you had European football. I don't think anyone saw the Kinnear thing coming, that radio interview said it all really. One of my best mates is a big Newcastle fan and he's giving it the 'why always us'

Jimmygrimble: Your club do seem to like shooting themselves in the foot and making themselves a laughing stock to the rest of the teams in the country. Just when you get over one mini crisis and starting performing well, Mike Ashley comes up with another genius idea which takes your club back a few steps. I can see nothing but problems with this appointment and feel it undermines Pardew who from the outside looks to be doing a good job. I'd be surprised if you're not looking for a new manager by the end of Xmas

2sheikhs: I can't see anything but trouble for Newcastle with this appointment. Making him director of football is like my wife appointing me director of healthy eating and staying sober.

Cityfan: It has been a complete PR disaster insulting your fans/ customers the way he did on the radio was beyond farce. Whether or not he will deliver on the footballing side only time will tell but for someone who has spent so little time recently involved in the game and who appears to value no ones advice but his own the portents are not good.

Nixon_The_Bike_Thief: At least it takes the spotlight off your Pony punchers.

Which Newcastle players would you like to see in your side?

Always a decent gauge of the strength of your side. I don’t think the 2 that stand head and shoulders above the rest will come as a surprise to sensible Newcastle fans, but there were a couple that got a patented Fishy Eyebrow raise. It was interesting that, although many fans said Ben Arfa was talented, they all had a reason to avoid him. Either his attitude (?) his consistency or his injury record. The latter I can understand, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest he has a bad attitude…

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself: Cabaye. But if Ben Arfa is fit and firing, then he's your best player.

Solihull Samba Boys: Sissoko and Cabaye probably, very good players. Ben Arfa is a great talent but not sure about his attitude. Santon is probably a better left-back than Kolarov too, it's not difficult.

Sir David Moyes: Obertan. JK I'd take Coloccini or Cabaye

Kun Aguero: Cabaye and Ben Arfa would improve our team, would be delighted with Santon and Steven Taylor as squad players.

Matherto: Ben Arfa on form is brilliant to watch, just a shame the 'on form' part is quite brief each season. Cabaye is very good and would walk into our midfield but that's not saying much. I'm a fan of Santon too, ever since he did so well against Ronaldo in 08-09.

2sheikhs: No offence mate but I don't think you have any player that could improve us in any position. Without wishing to sound arrogant, not many teams in the league have anyone who are better anywhere.

Fully Fledged: Ben Arfa maybe? Looks like a good player at St James's, would have to see if he could produce at a higher level.

NipHolmes: Ben Arfa or should I say Ben Afrie? Haha. Seriously though, proper player that lad, shame he's made of glass but one of best on any pitch on his day. I like the look of Tiote and Taylor. I think we could utilise them both well.

Ronnie Wallwork: Cabaye would improve us for sure.

Cityfan: Ben Arfa impresses when not injured and would make a good fit. I rate Krul highly but he would not appreciate being no2 to Hart.

Scarecrow: Ben Arfa and Cabaye are good players. I wouldn't mind seeing them in red.

Stoned Rose: Ben Arfa is excellent on his day, but doesn't have enough days. If he could produce regularly he'd walk into any premier league team imo.

Tarrou: I like Cabaye, he'd improve our midfield. HBA is always exciting to watch and would get games

for us too.

Caveman: Hatem Ben Arfa. He'd be the ideal player to add to our squad where Adam Johnson left a gap and Scott Sinclair hasn't filled it.

m9jl.png

Pardew winds up quite a few opposition managers, what's your take on him? Is he playing mind games? Or is he just an Average/Bad manager with a big mouth?

He didn’t win us over immediately, but I think it’s reasonable to say that he has the support of the majority of the Newcastle fans. We know he’s limited (Is it 2 years since a goal from a corner?), but under this owner, he’s pretty much the best we’re gonna get. This is what Manchester thinks

RORY65: He's a bit irritating at times but I'm sure a lot of Newcastle fans felt the same (or much worse!) about our previous manager. Most of it is just silliness and not that important. As a manager, there have been times at most of his clubs where he's looked like he's going to be a big success and then hasn't become so. There's a talented manager there, as shown by getting West Ham to the Cup Final and taking Newcastle to 5th, but he's still got a lot of improving to do.

Eric’sCollar: He plays for the cameras. He thinks because he is in charge of a big club and had a good season that he is a good manager. Where in fact, we all remember how poor a manager he has been over the years. A very arrogant person.

Kostur: I like him to be fair, he's a twat but I like him for that sole reason.

Tarrou: I think he's very egotistical, but honestly, it doesn't bother me. Sometimes it helps to have a big ego and maybe that is the case at a club like Newcastle. We've seen many managers fail there who had good records. I didn't rate Pardew before the Newcastle job, but now I do. His transfers have been impressive, performances good, and he's kept the squad happy (it seems). The fact that they didn't do as well last year should be forgiven and he should be backed by the chairman and fans.

Sir David Moyes: The latter. Average/bad manager with a mouth. Newcastle would do wonders with a Martinez/Laudrupp at the helm.

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself: Average manager who plays out dated tactics and is a cunt. I honestly can't believe that Newcastle didn't sacked him and got a new manager who could've instilled fresh ideas in the club.

Tom07: He's a gobshite but a decent manager

Never Mind The Pollocks: Did a great job for you in the 11-12 season. Certainly wouldn't describe him as a bad manager

Jack Wills: I think he's a decent enough manager, and there's nothing wrong with winding up the opposition as long as he can win or lose with dignity, which from what I've seen of him he seems to.

NipHolmes: He's been hypocritical (moaned about Arsenal with foreigners and now has a team nicknamed le toon) and he's a self publicist but I like him. The silverfox is a good manager and just needs time to gel the team and patience. I do fear for him with Kinnear in the background, cant help but feel Kineear will replace him.

Solihull Samba Boys: I think he's harmless enough. He runs his mouth on the touchline a bit but comes across ok in interviews. Certainly not as annoying as Ferguson/Dalglish/Wenger/Moyes/Redknapp/Di Canio

Nixon_The_Bike_Thief: One word: Spiv

Blue and Proud: Never had a problem with Pards, he's a good manager.

Jimmygrimble: Seems to have come in and done a good job, just when you needed a moment of stability. No better than Chris Hughton, but no worse than the media's darling Harry Redknapp

Cityfan: I think he is a decent manager but in all honesty so are most in the premier league. Bad ones get found out quickly. Not sure he is anything really special.

Kun: Not sure, he is a good manager, albeit rather inconsistent. He does seem to run his mouth a little but I would put that down to passion, and I can't help but laugh when he gets on Wengers saggy tits.

Where do you expect Newcastle to finish this season?

As the 10th question gives you an idea of the strength of our 1st team, this should give an idea of their opinions of our team. Going off these responses, it ties in with what we hope, rather than what we fear. Most think we’ll be around mid-table, with only a few thinking we’re doomed. However it seems none of them fancy us for a title run this year…

m9lj.png

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself: Probably in the lower half of the table. Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland, Villa have all improved. Newcastle seems to be stagnating.

Sir David Moyes: There won't be another relegation scrap but I can see you guys finishing 9th.

Kostur: Somewhere in the upper part of the table, I suppose that 9th or 8th place would be ok.

Matherto: Upper midtable, just outside of Europe unless things really go tits up with Joe and then you're fucked.

Fully Fledged: With Joe in charge of transfers I worry about you a bit. I think the side is good enough for mid table, if you could get someone in to replace BA's goals maybe slightly higher.

RORY65: Truth to be told, I recently predicted Newcastle to struggle this season. I think you'll be fine with regards to staying up but I wouldn't predict much more given the problems you had last season (despite having some pretty good players) and the negativity that is currently surrounding the club. I would guess in the bottom third but I think I guessed something similar the year you came 5th.

Tarrou: Mid table, but if they can keep key players fit all season they can definitely be closer to top 6 again. However, if the Kinnear factor takes it toll you could struggle.

Solihull Samba Boys: I think you'll be ok. No european football will help with the squad. I expect at least two of the three teams coming up to go back down, and there are worse teams than you in the rest of the division. I'll go for 12th or something like that

Jimmygrimble: If the Kinnear appointment poses no problems, then anywhere between 8th and 12th. Otherwise, no better than last season

2sheikhs: From what I've already said, I fear the worst for you this season. As another Blue has pointed out, we've had our fair share of shit over the years. The premier league needs clubs like Newcastle with its big ground and large fan base. The men at the top are going to Fuck you over by the looks of things. I genuinely wish you the best of luck though because Newcastle and West Ham fans are the only ones I've got any time for to be honest.

NipHolmes: Top 10 and maybe a surprise cup run into late stages.

Cityfan: I can't see them threatening Europe but then I did not two seasons ago. I would predict mid table but with the Kinnear shenanigans anything could happen. I do not predict relegation but with what has happened it would not surprise.

ChicagoBlue: Hate to say it, but if you don't get some performances from key players, you will struggle badly. I don't see a big attacking threat and I think your defence is pretty weak. I'm not in the Coloccini camp, I'm afraid. Krul had a great season last season and saved you from a relegation battle. 15th, I hope, because I hate to see top their supporters hurt!

Stoned Rose: The squad is good enough to be top 8 imo. You need Cisse to have another belter and you need to replace Ba properly.

Top effort fish.

Graphs 'n shit give the impression of scientific fact in the responses. Love it.

Will have a proper read as soon as I have time.

+1. Good work and well presented.

Nice one Fish.

Does your gaffer know what you've been up to for the past few shifts? :lol:

Even if I printed it off and stapled it to his hands he wouldn't realise it's different.

• 1 year later...

Might do something like this. It won't have the bells and whistles because my laptop is on it's last legs and I've nowhere to put the pc yet. Would people want a gauge of Man City fans before we meet them? If so, please put some questions you'd like answers to that aren't the stock bollocks, ta

Might do something like this. It won't have the bells and whistles because my laptop is on it's last legs and I've nowhere to put the pc yet. Would people want a gauge of Man City fans before we meet them? If so, please put some questions you'd like answers to that aren't the stock bollocks, ta

How does it feel being owned by people who live in the dark ages?

Which new Premier League players are you looking forward to seeing?

Obviously the majority of fans are most focussed their own new players, so stripping the home bias away it seems that most are still waiting for a ground-breaking transfer to really get excited about. Paulinho, van Wolfswinkel and Schurrle are all on the radar, with Bony not far behind.

NipHolmes: Our own first and foremost. After that it's the likes of Schurlle, Van Wolfwinkel, Liverpools new players to see if Rodgers has chosen well and of course your lot to see how JFK has done. Other than that not bothered.

Bluesince93: That young chap Everton signed on loan from Barca, Van Wolfswinkel

Kun: Dwight Gayle, Higuain, Paulinho and Van Wolfswinkel

Ronnie Wallwork: I like Van Wolfswinkle. Think he's using Norwich as a stepping stone.

Kun Aguero: Navas, Van Wolfswinkle, Bony, Okara.

Jeez that must have been disappointing.

Is the UAE sponsored "regeneration" of East Manchester a cynical PR stunt or is it likely to change local peoples' lives for the better in the long term?

:good:

Jeez that must have been disappointing.

Don't think anyone was expecting to flop so badly.