The best and worst of recent comedy shows

Django Reinhardt

The Thick of It

The best comedy of 2005 in my opinion. A razor sharp satire of British politics with Chris Langham and Peter Capaldi brilliant in their respective roles as the somnambulant minister and the acerbic communications director. A street smart and savage take on the Yes Minister dynamic that is as daring as it is hilarious. I just hope they make another series of this and a good six parter at least, not these piffling three parters that leave you hankering for so much more. Armando's name is yet again a mark of quality and long may it continue (though I guess in a few years he'll probably be writing musicals with Andrew Lloyd Webber).

Hyperspace

Now I've only seen the first episode, having foolishly decided to use Teleport Replay to compare and contrast this with the fitfully amusing Red Dwarf. No, I know it's never good to have such firm expectations but this has to be the worst comedy show I've seen in a long time. Well just imagine a whole half hour devoted to the Nick Frost we see in the Spaced and Shaun of the Dead without the likes of Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright. You can see him reprising his part in all the gags we laughed at in those two infinitely superior offerings but with nothing else happenning, with no funny gags and no remotely interesting characters he and the show look dead in the water. Sorry to be so harsh Nick, I know the writers should take the brunt of the blame but you're the only semi-familiar face I can pin this one on.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id agree with both of those, took a five minute look at Hyperspace last night and decided after seeing the first set of aliens that it just wasnt going to be any good and boy did it do me proud. Pile of shite.

To go to the opposite end of the spectrum though, did anyone see the first episode of "My name is Earl" also on last night, albeit midnight on Channel 4 I was rather impressed by that one.

Also recently I've enjoyed Peep show, different style to the rest and quite a sublime mix of subtle toilet gags and high brow stuff.

Id agree with both of those, took a five minute look at Hyperspace last night and decided after seeing the first set of aliens that it just wasnt going to be any good and boy did it do me proud. Pile of shite.

To go to the opposite end of the spectrum though, did anyone see the first episode of "My name is Earl" also on last night, albeit midnight on Channel 4 I was rather impressed by that one.

Also recently I've enjoyed Peep show, different style to the rest and quite a sublime mix of subtle toilet gags and high brow stuff.

78279[/snapback]

Watched Earl today in between bouts of boredom....quite good...think I iwll be setting the Sky+ for it on a regular basis !

78279[/snapback]

Although I enjoyed Peep Show I thought by the end of the series they were rather running out of ideas, it seemed increasingly forced and the characters just didn't seem to ring true. I can't really decide whether the quality was really declining or whether I was just getting sick of it (after all I watched the first series over a couple of nights on video just before the second series started). Still I enjoyed the first series more so I suppose that theory is out of the window.

With the decline of Little Britain and my general dislike of the likes of Peter Kaye and Ricky Gervais (though The Office wasn't bad) I'm a bit worried about TV comedies at the moment. The Mighty Boosh suffered the second series blues and the likes of Little Britain has just about ground itself into the dirt. I suppose there's always the next Chris Morris vehicle to look forward too though I wasn't particularly enamoured with Nathan Barley. No, what we need is another series of The Day Today or even just some re-runs (to save me getting the videos out their boxes). Maybe I'll finally sit down and watch Nighty Night in the meantime.

I enjoyed the third series of Peep Show, nicely hidden away on Friday nights. I got the first series of Curb Your Enthusiasm around christmas time and loved it. Saw the first episode of My Name Is Earl and it seemed like a good solid start. Little Britian seemed to die on its arse this series. There's not much springing to mind comedy-wise. There must have been some other decent ones.

I almost forgot about Curb, I suppose I was really thinking primarily of British comedy shows. Of course Seinfeld and Curb are excellent if you like your Jewish comedy (which I do) although the whole Producers stage show idea was half baked at best and at worst, well, just shit. I did like some of the petty arguments with Stiller and Schwimmer though, they were pretty funny. The denouement of the series though was horribly contrived and unfunny.

I never watch Sky One programs since their trailers make everything look terrible, even the Simpsons which is quite an achievement really. So I've not seen this Earl program.

Oh it's on channel 4 is it? Well it's got a trailer very much like Dead Like Me or one of those other tacky American shows. Perhaps it is really funny but the trailer put me off. Slacker trailer-trash bloke wins the lottery and wants to put right all the wrongs in his life. That seems to be the skit. As a rule I don't find much American comedy funny, except the Jewish American stuff obviously. Personal preference I guess, or is it some deep seated xenophobia?

Missed the first episode of 'My Name is Earl' unfortunately, I'd been looking forward to it.

Peep Show is the only series that has done it for me recently although I also enjoyed the 5-hour Scrubs marathon on ABC1 over Christmas and I do like QI.

78360[/snapback]

It's repeated on E4 tonight...

Missed the first episode of 'My Name is Earl' unfortunately, I'd been looking forward to it.

Peep Show is the only series that has done it for me recently although I also enjoyed the 5-hour Scrubs marathon on ABC1 over Christmas and I do like QI.

78360[/snapback]

78367[/snapback]

So it is, E4 10.30

Cheers Radg, you're a diamond.

78360[/snapback]

78367[/snapback]

So it is, E4 10.30

Cheers Radg, you're a diamond.

78376[/snapback]

anytime...enjoy :)

Catterick wasn't really this year was it? It seems like ages since then. Yes I loved Catterick and thought it the best thing Vic and Bob have done for years, arguably since their Smell of series maybe even Big Night Out. Actually it might just be the very best thing they've ever done. I do hope they make another series or something in a similar vein anyway.

Yeah, just checked, 2004. I saw one episode then got it on DVD, probably why I thought it was last year. I reckon it's the best thing they've done by quite a distance, using a lot of the top UK talent in it too.

Catterick was on BBC3 in 2004 but only made it on to terrestrial tv in the last twelve months, maybe that's why it seems more recent. Chris Palmer is legendary.

78991[/snapback]

Don't forget My name is Earl is on tonight :yes

Catterick was on BBC3 in 2004 but only made it on to terrestrial tv in the last twelve months, maybe that's why it seems more recent. Chris Palmer is legendary.

78991[/snapback]

Don't forget My name is Earl is on tonight :yes

78992[/snapback]

Don't worry, I'm all caught up now B)

That Hyperspace, I thought when I heard about it, comedy set in space = sub standard Red Dwarf. The first episode I thought was tolerable but it did like really funny moments which is what a comedy needs. I'll watch it again next week, see if it improves like, but if it continues the way it started I'll not be watching.

Little Britain - A series Too far. Series 1 and 2 - brilliant. The last one was still alright but it had lost something and wasn't as funny.

Extras - Fantastic. I loved it, especially the Les Dennis episode. I got the DVD for Xmas so I've been watching them again. Do another series and then pack it in.

The Catherine Tait Show - I feel like I'm alone in this one. It seems like everyone else loves it, but I just don't think it's very funny. A few of the characters are Harry Enfield and Fast Show rip offs done nowhere near as good.

Man Stroke Woman - I thought it was alright.

The Thick Of It - Very funny the way they keep dropping a b*llock and look for people to blame, you can imagine that sort of stuff going on in government departments. Its meant to be a comedy, but I bet it is actually true to life.

Edited by Tom_NUFC

Extras - Fantastic. I loved it, especially the Les Dennis episode. I got the DVD for Xmas so I've been watching them again. Do another series and then pack it in.

"I Don't Really Know!" :yesB):P

"I Don't Really Know!" :yesB):P

79006[/snapback]

Having bought the DVD i have to say i enjoyed it even more the second time round, top quality work from Gervais and Merchant again.

Just seen My Name Is Earl and thought it wasn't too bad, reminded me of Scrubs a bit, don't know if it was by the same writers or not.

There have been some awful comedies recently, I didn't think Nighty Night should've been given a new series for one thing.

Fair play to him like, being able to take the piss out of all that stuff.

79009[/snapback]

Ross Kemp for me was hilarious.... "I Once Headbutted A Horse You Know" :yesB):P