Yohan Kebab,Depression & The Taxman(with chilli and garlic)

scoobos

Even though Cabaye hasn't played well this season I'd want to keep him. On his day he is an influencial player and he's a figure in the dressing room that the French contingent look to. I reckon a bit of a rest, a good pre-season and he could be a big player for us next season.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at it as a long term plan, being a feeder club for Champions League sides is a viable strategy.

In the beginning, you gain a reputation for being a club where players can play in the PL, gain some experience and earn a lucrative move to a bigger club.

In 5 years or so time, if all is going to plan, our reputation may have developed to the point where we're not far off the CL spots ourselves and the players may feel they have just as good a chance of success here as at another club.

Certainly with Ferguson gone and new managers about to be put in place at Chelsea and Man City, there's no guarantee that the top 4 are going to stay consistent.

As frustrating as it can be in the short term, it seems like a far more sensible strategy than throwing money at players in the hope that we'll achieve the improbable. If the plan fails and we end up with 10 years of mid table mediocrity, at least we're not forced into an embarrassing fire sale as we try to recoup our overspend.

Its the model Spurs have used for a decade and its a self perpetuating thing. Sell the asset, re-invest. Theres nothing actually wrong with it, I just dont think Ashley will look to re invest as much as he should as hes looking to get his money back rather than move the playing side forward.

Someone will need to explain all that to the likes of the CT...theres nowt wrong with being pissed off with selling the likes of Cabaye, but it is the financial reality at the club thats doing it rather than whether he plays 10 yards further up the pitch.

If it didn't upset people I would say "what a cracking post Fish". As it does, I'll say nowt.

... shit :(

;)

One of the problems (that is made worse by the media) is that people usually look at net transfer spend as the only measure of reinvestment.

We sold Carroll for £35m and we knocked £2m a season off the wage bill. Over the 5 years he had left on his contract, that's a benefit of £45m.

The players we subsequently bought didn't cost £35m in transfer fees, but when you consider we signed an awful lot of players (Cabaye, Santon, Ba, Cisse, Ben Arfa, Marveaux) who are on about £2m a year each, you realise where all the cash has gone.

Problem is that it's tricky to fit this amount of detail into a typical tabloid 6 word sentence.

Edited by BigWalrus

Its true that theres a lot of pretty fundamental things that are seldom mentioned...like Dekka's favourite: "we wipe our own mouth" i.e. the days of Ashley bailing us out are over, we spend what we generate. Accept that and its easy to see the motivation behind selling a player as good as Cabaye...we've got to pay for the 5 we signed in Janaury. Money doesn't grow on trees, we have to make it.

The really clever clubs already have the big players' replacements at the club when they sell the big assets. Lyon were expert at this, Essien's replacement was Thiago Mendes and he had ben there for a season when Essien left for Chelsea.Think Anita,Haidara and Elliot (we were linked with the lad at Birmingham,in the England squad?) and you could be seeing who might leave in the sunmmer. Perhaps.

Its the model Spurs have used for a decade and its a self perpetuating thing. Sell the asset, re-invest. Theres nothing actually wrong with it, I just dont think Ashley will look to re invest as much as he should as hes looking to get his money back rather than move the playing side forward.

Someone will need to explain all that to the likes of the CT...theres nowt wrong with being pissed off with selling the likes of Cabaye, but it is the financial reality at the club thats doing it rather than whether he plays 10 yards further up the pitch.

Don't need it explaining cheers. Some of us were saying this a couple of years back and accepted it while you were holding up your "Mikes going to cash in lads" bed sheet every window. ;)

I accept the club, like all clubs, (maybe that point will sink in one day with you), cashing in and rebuilding. What I don't like is the idea of quality players wanting to fuck off because they have no faith in the guy managing the team.

Don't need it explaining cheers. Some of us were saying this a couple of years back and accepted it while you were holding up your "Mikes going to cash in lads" bed sheet every window. ;)

I accept the club, like all clubs, (maybe that point will sink in one day with you), cashing in and rebuilding. What I don't like is the idea of quality players wanting to fuck off because they have no faith in the guy managing the team.

Youve contradicted yourself in the space of one post there mate, which is good going even for you :lol: We're a stepping stone club, you say thats the case, but when one of the better players wants to step off the stone its down to the manager?

As an opinion, its fuckin baseless shite. Impossible to state with any degree of certainty or accuracy. Do you think Newcastle United are the limit of Yohan Cabaye's ambitions? last trophy won in 1969 and run by the Ebeneezer fuckin Scrooge of Hertfordshire? Where do you get this shit from? :lol:

Edited by PaddockLad

Youve contradicted yourself in the space of one post there mate, which is good going even for you :lol: We're a stepping stone club, you say thats the case, but when one of the better players wants to step off the stone its down to the manager?

As an opinion, its fuckin baseless shite. Impossible to state with any degree of certainty or accuracy. Do you think Newcastle United are the limit of Yohan Cabaye's ambitions? last trophy won in 1969 and run by the Ebeneezer fuckin Scrooge of Hertfordshire? Where do you get this shit from? :lol:

As has already being pointed out to you today, it can work so that the likes of Cabaye are happy to stay a while before moving on, gradually allowing us to get to a point where less will want / need to move on.

A manager keeping his promises about flowing football and utilising your skill set is much more likely to shorten or lengthen that process.

This has been a wasted negative year under Pardew and I don't want another one or other decent players like Sissoko thinking "fuck, another few years of this".

I know you understand this point so lets not play forum tennis with it. :)

CT, are you claiming to know more about football than either Alan Pardew or Yohan Cabaye? :lol:

I imagine Cabaye gets to play for his club where he wants to play. He's a senior player and a French international for the love of fuck. He's also never been quoted as being miserable about where he's playing in the side. Your opinon on this may well be valid, but so irrelevent to how his season has gone and whether he leaves this summer or not you may as well be talking about fire engines in Swahili.

I tolerate Pardew, much as you get tolerated on here. We're sort of fuckin stuck with both of you.

Tip for CT - it's "Moto injini" ;)

I'm happy in the league, I'd be happy to continue = He's off

Fucking Hell :lol:

Edited by The Fish

I'd sell him if we could get a good enough offer. That's how it works for us now and Monsieur Cabaye has been lethargic to put it mildly so might not be as missed as we'd have thought 12 months ago. It all depends on how we develop our squad of course.

You cannot read that article and think that those are the words of a man committed to NUFC tbf.

Thing is, nobody is committed to Newcastle, not really. Sure Perch and Ryan Taylor might think this is as good as it gets for them, so they'll graft their arse off. However, if Everton came in for either they'd be off. Also, if Cabaye came out with the kind of nonsense we read from Steven Taylor, the article would be dismissed as sycophantic bullshit to appease the fans.

Players really can't make a statement about loyalty without it meaning they're definitely off.

Fwiw, I'm not saying he's definitely staying or going, just that I won't let two sentences attributed to him persuade me one way or the other.