Thatcher Dead

trophyshy

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wizard of Oz song at the centre of an anti-Margaret Thatcher campaign will not be played in full on the Official Chart Show.

Instead a clip of the 51-second song will be aired as part of a Newsbeat report, Radio 1 controller Ben Cooper has said.

Sales of Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead have soared since the former Prime Minister's death on Monday, aged 87.

Mr Cooper called the decision "a difficult compromise".

The song is set to take the number three spot in Sunday's countdown, according to the Official Charts Company.

Speaking to Radio 1 Newsbeat, Mr Cooper said: "The decision I have made is not I am not going to play it in full but that I will play a clip of it in a news environment.

"When I say a news environment, that is a news reader telling you about the fact that this record has reached a certain place in the chart and here is a clip of that track.

"It is a compromise and it is a difficult compromise to come to. You have very difficult and emotional arguments on both sides of the fence. Let's not forget you also have a family that is grieving for a loved one who is yet to be buried."

The original track was performed in the 1939 Judy Garland film by characters celebrating the demise of the much-hated Wicked Witch of the East.

The campaign has been called "tasteless" by the BBC's director general Tony Hall, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and others, though few have called for the song to be banned.

DJ Paul Gambaccini and former director general Greg Dyke are among those who have taken the opposite position, arguing that the chart is a statistical reality that should not be editorialised.

Ding Dong!, attributed to Garland and the cast of the movie, is also expected to feature in the Capital Chart's Big Top 40.

A spokesman for Capital FM said the station was currently "reviewing the situation".

Rival campaigns are under way to get a pro-Baroness Thatcher song into this week's countdown as well.

One Facebook group is seeking to boost sales of (I'm In Love With) Margaret Thatcher, a 1980 track by the punk band Notsensibles.

this was painted over by the council within a few hours:

burninhell_zps01779094.jpg

Pubs that had a knees up on Monday have had the polis removing CCTV footage of their gaffs and even had the polis putting their own camera's in one pub.

pre-emptive arrests for a party in Trafalgar Sq this weekend are on the cards and the possibility of a bullet in yer heed if your out taking the piss in C London next wed.

and the bastards won't play Ding Dong on the radio! (outside of a *news* environment, a NEWS environment!!!)

Meanwhile, 28 pages and several days later... not that I'd say there was any obsessiveness with this topic but if it was the Mackems talking about us you'd be taking the piss something rotten. For someone so hated people sure love talking about her. ;)

Meanwhile, 28 pages and several days later... not that I'd say there was any obsessiveness with this topic but if it was the Mackems talking about us you'd be taking the piss something rotten. For someone so hated people sure love talking about her. ;)

At least 50% of this topic was written by the enigmatic Thatcher devotee of a few pages back - although I do take your point.

At least 50% of this topic was written by the enigmatic Thatcher devotee of a few pages back - although I do take your point.

Then would you do me a favour and explain the point to me?

Nobody can deny she was huge figure in recent history - especially in the context of a forum based on mainly natives of the North East.

Then would you do me a favour and explain the point to me?

I think the point is that we should stop talking about her now, but given the continuing airtime she's getting it does seem a bit premature. I pondered on it a little bit but then gave in to the peer pressure that comes from being a relatively new poster and offered an olive branch.

I may be too diplomatic for this forum...

There'll be plenty to talk about up to and including her funeral, in any case. "Anarchic" protests planned for central London tomorrow, which could be excellent or hugely embarrassing. :lol:

this was painted over by the council within a few hours:

burninhell_zps01779094.jpg

Pubs that had a knees up on Monday have had the polis removing CCTV footage of their gaffs and even had the polis putting their own camera's in one pub.

pre-emptive arrests for a party in Trafalgar Sq this weekend are on the cards and the possibility of a bullet in yer heed if your out taking the piss in C London next wed.

and the bastards won't play Ding Dong on the radio! (outside of a *news* environment, a NEWS environment!!!)

It's like Huxley, Orwell and Eastenders all wrapped up in one.

that doesn't come across to me as unbiased reporting

surely if its at the top of the charts it should be played

fffwd one year.

"Are they allowed to take 7% out of my account"??? :lol:

I think the point is that we should stop talking about her now, but given the continuing airtime she's getting it does seem a bit premature. I pondered on it a little bit but then gave in to the peer pressure that comes from being a relatively new poster and offered an olive branch.

I may be too diplomatic for this forum...

:D

You'll learn.