Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

The major reason is the possibility of two clubs meeting in a UEFA competition, with the obvious consequences. If Ashley owned both there is a possibility that they could be drawn against each other in say the Europa Cup. There is minimal chance of the four clubs that have been named ever meeting in a UEFA competition.

Right, so there's no actual rule against someone owning 2 clubs, just that they cannot own two clubs in the same competition.

So Ashley can ow Rangers and Newcastle, however if we both get into the same competition there'll be punishment.

fwiw I think if Ashley can find someone to meet his valuation of us he'd prefer to spend buttons on getting Rangers consistently into the Champions League, rather than millions on getting us consistently into the Eruopa League.

What you're saying is wrong though. There is no UEFA rule against dual ownership, only that both teams cannot play in European competition together.

[/quote) So based on what you say Ashley controls both clubs in say 2016. In 2017 both clubs qualify for the UEFA Cup. So what happens? Or you could have a situation where Newcastle 'loan' a number of good players to Rangers, who then go on to win the SPL. What happens then? Chelsea have caused problems already. They loaned a large number of excellent young players to Vitesse Arnhem who then went on to qualify for the Europa League. Other Dutch clubs have raised questions with UEFA about it not being a level playing field.

They can't have both teams in the same competition, one would have to withdraw from it. That's how it works.

Right, so there's no actual rule against someone owning 2 clubs, just that they cannot own two clubs in the same competition.

So Ashley can ow Rangers and Newcastle, however if we both get into the same competition there'll be punishment.

fwiw I think if Ashley can find someone to meet his valuation of us he'd prefer to spend buttons on getting Rangers consistently into the Champions League, rather than millions on getting us consistently into the Eruopa League.

I disagree with that like. Factor in the money the Premier League clubs get now, I think it's probably more lucrative owning us than a Scottish club in the Champions League. Our turnover is still higher than Celtic's, for example. Rangers are in a low profile league, not good for his brand. Their champions league fixtures are few (they don't get far in it when they're in it), they'll easily be one of the lesser watched teams in the competition in the few games that they do play (not good for his brand). There's little chance of him wanting them full time over us.

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

I disagree with that like. Factor in the money the Premier League clubs get now, I think it's probably more lucrative owning us than a Scottish club in the Champions League. Our turnover is still higher than Celtic's, for example. Rangers are in a low profile league, not good for his brand. Their champions league fixtures are few (they don't get far in it when they're in it), they'll easily be one of the lesser watched teams in the competition in the few games that they do play (not good for his brand). There's little chance of him wanting them full time over us.

He couldn't give a fuck about the money to be made from the club though. It's all about the expansion of his Sports Direct brand. Rangers will certainly play across Europe more often than we will. They'll also entertain massive clubs at the Sports D'IbRoxECT stadium.

They're already the biggest high street retailer in England, aren't they? Wasn't it announced that they were setting their eyes on expanding into France?

I reckon we're seen globally by more people across a season in the premier league than Rangers are in the Champions League though Fish. Even with them in the Champions League we'll be the more watched club because of the league we're in.

Getting a massive club in the group stages of the CL (where they'll more than likely get eliminated) might happen, but that one fixture a season isn't as an attractive a prospect as a Premier League campaign for somebody looking to expose their brand. When there's Champions League group games on, there's always a few on at the same time. How many pick the Rangers one?

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

Personally I think the benefit of sportsdirect advertising at the toon for the sportsdirect brand is overplayed. I have nothing factual to base that on but we're not a glamour club or anything.

Personally I think the benefit of sportsdirect advertising at the toon for the sportsdirect brand is overplayed. I have nothing factual to base that on but we're not a glamour club or anything.

They've increased international retail 20% and unique visitors to their site 50% without increasing advertising spend at all, claiming they don't need to.

Every PL game is shown overseas. Not just the glamour clubs.

Granted but how much of that relates to tawdry advertising hoardings shown on telly at the ground of an unsexy mid ranking football club?

If advertising didn't work it wouldn't be an industry of the size it is. You like to think you aren't susceptible to it, but en masse we are.

We were Europa league quarter finalists, that's a little bit sexy.

How much would S***** D***** have paid for all the advertising they've had for free at SJP over the years?

Be interesting to see how much they've cost us.

( I'm looking at you Happy Face).

Its difficult to estimate. No other club of our size has renamed their existing stadium.

Derby got £7m for pride park.

every other billionaire that owns a club that had any debt has not only stopped interest payments, they have converted their loans into equity, effectively wiping out the debt at their clubs. Abramovich at Chelsea (£340m), Mansour at man City (£305m), Al Fayed at Fulham (£212m), Lerner at Villa (£90m), Short at Sunderland (£69m), Leibherr at Southampton (£38m) etc. None of these advertise their other companies for free or hold their loans over the club as a stick to beat them. They write off the loans and maximise the financial performance of the club.

every other billionaire that owns a club that had any debt has not only stopped interest payments, they have converted their loans into equity, effectively wiping out the debt at their clubs. Abramovich at Chelsea (£340m), Mansour at man City (£305m), Al Fayed at Fulham (£212m), Lerner at Villa (£90m), Short at Sunderland (£69m), Leibherr at Southampton (£38m) etc. None of these advertise their other companies for free or hold their loans over the club as a stick to beat them. They write off the loans and maximise the financial performance of the club.

He gets tax breaks for the debt.

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt