Life moves pretty fast...

Dr Gloom

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of those luckily apply to me and I am quite blessed at being a very happy chappy.

I also have a fantastic life tool (for me) which automatically obliterates any potential regrets. It works likes forks in your "life road". If there is some action, some decision that I think may have led to a better outcome, I counter that by understanding the ripple effect of that decision throughout my "life road".

eg

Very occasionally, I find myself imagining still in my high powered job with the big bucks rolling in. I would have this and that, be going here or there etc.....

But then I think well instead of being at home I could still be on the motorways of the UK and I could have crashed my high powered BMW on my very next trip.... I would still be working six days a week and expected to be available virtually 24/7 to my satanic boss. Very high stress / heart attack..... I would probably not have had my last two children who give me so much pleasure.

Its so true and untrue but it works perfectly for me where as some people just look back on what they didnt do or missed. Of course I also sure there are people with very real genuine regrets.

The one thing I will add to this is that I deal with elderly people everyday and a lot of them have a miserable existence. Im talking 60 onwards. They fall into three types.

They have worked very hard, retired and lost the love of their life.

They have very little money to do anything with other than survive.

They are doomed by the aches, pains and disorders of old age.

They way the speak always reminds me of a young person trapped inside an old person thinking how the fuck did I get in here. Reminds of that film The Skeleton Key. :(

So! All you fuckers exercising to death to live a very long time, make sure you have a huge pension!!!!!

I once asked a pension advisor "How much will I need when I retire"? His answer was "What will you want to stop doing when you retire that you currently spend money on"!

My answer was "nothing probably, in fact I probably want to spend more taking more holidays etc etc"...

He just smiled.

Edited by Christmas Tree

I once asked a pension advisor "How much will I need when I retire"? His answer was "What will you want to stop doing when you retire that you currently spend money on"!

My answer was "nothing probably, in fact I probably want to spend more taking more holidays etc etc"...

He just smiled.

So i'm thinking the reason he smiled was because you didnt grasp what was going on. Very little of that post makes any sense. Your pension advisor was clearly trying to guage how much pension you will need, the answer you gave him was 'more income than i have today'.

In your overview of your life and satisfaction (which is great) you dont make it clear how you are preparing for your retirement and how this lackadaisical attitude to work will mean that you wont into category 2 of your 'over 60s'? Maybe you werent clear but i would be interested in whether you actually have a coherent view here. Did you save a lot of money already?

I also assume you are implying that you dont need a good pension as you wont live that long. :lol: Not sure thats what you meant but its how it reads.

Sorry to be snooty but traversing the highways and byways of the UK motorway system isnt 'high powered' either. Not to me anyway.

Surprised not to see 'going to the gym more and looking ripped to the tits'

i'm starting to think you're a getting bit obsessed and are protesting a bit too much. are you sure you're not a closet gym rat that lives a secret and shameful life on nothing but carrot juice and lentils?

i reckon my one big regret is not taking more time out to travel. i didn't have much time off between school, uni and work and there's still a lot of the world i want to see. i travel a lot with work but it's not the same as it's rarely glamorous and you don't often have time to see a lot of where you're staying.

So far Id also say the lack of travel thing. I've been around, but theres so many places I still want to see. Its on hold while the kids grow up and then I want to take them places as well. Thats about it really, dont regret much.

i'm starting to think you're a getting bit obsessed and are protesting a bit too much. are you sure you're not a closet gym rat that lives a secret and shameful life on nothing but carrot juice and lentils?

I made a comment using the same perspective about getting to the end of life and being concerned about these things a couple of weeks back. It must have just made its way in to your head subconsciously. There is no protesting so dont make things up and if i start a thread its probably not about you so dont be vain.

I have some beautiful lentils done in goose fat in the cupboard. For carrot juice tips, see JawD.

How can you know what you'll regret on your deathbed?....I have a feeling mine will be being pissed off with never having seen Newcastle win a fuckin thing :glare:

a big regret most of us will probably be unlucky enough to share :lol:

the whole thing about not being true to yourself is an interesting one. working too hard and not spending enough time being happy or spending time with loved ones. that probably applies to a lot of us. most of us fall into careers to pay the bills. we might enjoy it or make the most of it but is it our true calling in life? how many people really follow their dreams and live a life for themselves with no compromises?

is life is about the pursuit of happiness or what you have achieved at the end of it all?

So i'm thinking the reason he smiled was because you didnt grasp what was going on. Very little of that post makes any sense. Your pension advisor was clearly trying to guage how much pension you will need, the answer you gave him was 'more income than i have today'.

In your overview of your life and satisfaction (which is great) you dont make it clear how you are preparing for your retirement and how this lackadaisical attitude to work will mean that you wont into category 2 of your 'over 60s'? Maybe you werent clear but i would be interested in whether you actually have a coherent view here. Did you save a lot of money already?

I also assume you are implying that you dont need a good pension as you wont live that long. :lol: Not sure thats what you meant but its how it reads.

Sorry to be snooty but traversing the highways and byways of the UK motorway system isnt 'high powered' either. Not to me anyway.

Little Lord Snooty these days ;) In answer to your questions.

The pension advisor comment was just that a comment on thinking about pensions when you are in your 20's and old age seems eons away. At the time lads thought they were doing really well when they could stick £20 or £30 quid away for their "far off" pension. But when this guy sat me down and phrased the question the way he did, it made me think about what I was actually doing now that I wouldnt want to do in later life.

I think its a great exercise for any "normal" working person to consider. Think how much you pay out today for season ticket, meals out, entertainment, Sky, hobbies, holidays etc etc. It doesnt half focus the mind that you need to have either the equivalent or as close to as possible as what you currently earn. I appreciate this may be second nature for you, but there will be loads who havent really given it very much thought.

I would want to get into my own personal arrangements on the internet but suffice to say I should be ok. :)

Finally I was just being tongue in cheek about the healthy lads living a long time so make sure they have loads of pension!

edit: Missed the last line. :lol:

Might not be high powered to you but your average Joe would consider being a director of a PLC responsible for a six million advertising budget a fairly high powered job. (Unless you want to get really picky)

Edited by Christmas Tree

I made a comment using the same perspective about getting to the end of life and being concerned about these things a couple of weeks back. It must have just made its way in to your head subconsciously. There is no protesting so dont make things up and if i start a thread its probably not about you so dont be vain.

I have some beautiful lentils done in goose fat in the cupboard. For carrot juice tips, see JawD.

Not fussed on juiced carrot like tbf, lentils I do like, dunno about in goose fat though. Mind thats canny with roasties.

Little Lord Snooty these days ;) In answer to your questions.

The pension advisor comment was just that a comment on thinking about pensions when you are in your 20's and old age seems eons away. At the time lads thought they were doing really well when they could stick £20 or £30 quid away for their "far off" pension. But when this guy sat me down and phrased the question the way he did, it made me think about what I was actually doing now that I wouldnt want to do in later life.

I think its a great exercise for any "normal" working person to consider. Think how much you pay out today for season ticket, meals out, entertainment, Sky, hobbies, holidays etc etc. It doesnt half focus the mind that you need to have either the equivalent or as close to as possible as what you currently earn. I appreciate this may be second nature for you, but there will be loads who havent really given it very much thought.

I would want to get into my own personal arrangements on the internet but suffice to say I should be ok. :)

Finally I was just being tongue in cheek about the healthy lads living a long time so make sure they have loads of pension!

edit: Missed the last line. :lol:

Might not be high powered to you but your average Joe would consider being a director of a PLC responsible for a six million advertising budget a fairly high powered job. (Unless you want to get really picky)

Get you. 'Hey everyone, bet you hadnt thought that living longer means you will need a big pension but i am going to be great as i have a pension that will mean i can do everything i do now but go on holiday even more'. Its what i thought you were saying when you mentioned how high powered your life was (twice).

A financial advisor once claimed i should be aiming for a pension income of 80% of my final salary. I never went back to see her.