Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

So it’s a failure of the politicians 

In a democracy, how can it not be a failure of politicians? Even if you take the line that the right wing media whips people up into a frenzy, the politicians have it in their power to force factual accuracy and severe penalties on these outlets. They just choose not to because sometimes, the outlets are backing them.

Politicians can choose to educate people about politics at school level. They choose not to.

Politicians can choose to reduce the income inequality gap - they choose not to.

Yes, it's a failure of fucking politicians.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

In a democracy, how can it not be a failure of politicians? Even if you take the line that the right wing media whips people up into a frenzy, the politicians have it in their power to force factual accuracy and severe penalties on these outlets. They just choose not to because sometimes, the outlets are backing them.

Politicians can choose to educate people about politics at school level. They choose not to.

Politicians can choose to reduce the income inequality gap - they choose not to.

Yes, it's a failure of fucking politicians.

I ask because I’ve been having this discussion with a friend who used to be very sympathetic to the underclass who protested voted against Cameron’s project fear.

He is increasingly less sympathetic and recently said that the morons who live in the north east, particularly those who work for Nissan, and chose to ignore warnings from their employer and vote leave, are stupid and deserve everything they get.

I tried to counter with then usual SJW argument: deindustrialisation, a decade of austerity, shit-life syndrome. They had the chance to protest vote against the old etonians who called the referendum. 

But then you have people who work at Nissan, who aren’t on the breadline, and middle England Tory twats. They’re not all stupid.

They’re not all racist either, some of them are cunts too. (HT Stuart Lee)

Edited by Dr Gloom

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Merkel was very irresponsible imo. I don't know what you do about refugees tbh. Hardly an issue for us as we aren't in Schenghen and take in hardly any refugees, but perception is everything unfortunately. I'm genuinely curious what Brexiter will think when EU migrants are replaced by non-EU ones mind. 

Irresponsible my arse.

It was a moral reaction to a humanitarian crisis. In contrast to implications from the right the number of refugees has been decreasing drastically. Also do the majority not impose a threat to western societies. Because of their status they will also not be able to apply for citizenship here and therefore won’t be eligible for further rights such as freedom of movement but will have to go back once the circumstances will allow it.

In my opinion we are rich enough and can afford the moral high ground without having to fear self harming consequences.

14 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Irresponsible my arse.

It was a moral reaction to a humanitarian crisis. In contrast to implications from the right the number of refugees has been decreasing drastically. Also do the majority not impose a threat to western societies. Because of their status they will also not be able to apply for citizenship here and therefore won’t be eligible for further rights such as freedom of movement but will have to go back once the circumstances will allow it.

In my opinion we are rich enough and can afford the moral high ground without having to fear self harming consequences.

It was irresponsible because her comments encouraged further mass migration, with all the risks that entails. The humanitarian aspect is a different issue, clearly the long term solution is not for mass migration of middle Eastern and North African citizens into Europe. 

I'd add that Germany might be able to economically support this immigration. But they don't bear the brunt of it. In fact, the countries that do are the least equipped to cope. Greece, Southern Italy. 

And then you have to recognise not everybody shares your charitable views. Every time an immigrant commits an act of terrorism, however rare, it embolden far right groups such as the AFD.

Anyway, this is a bit tangential to the issue of Brexit I guess, although as the poster shows, the likes of Farage were happy to exploit it. 

3 hours ago, Renton said:

I'd add that Germany might be able to economically support this immigration. But they don't bear the brunt of it. In fact, the countries that do are the least equipped to cope. Greece, Southern Italy. 

Not bearing the brunt?

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=File:Five_main_citizenships_of_(non-EU)_asylum_applicants,_2017_(number_of_first_time_applicants,_rounded_figures)_YB18.png

Add to it the financial contributions to support the likes of Greece to cope with those problems.

The problems of non-EU immigrants does get totally overstated tbh.

"If Brexit goes ahead it will mark not just a failure of economic and geo-political strategy – and, after all, such failures are common enough – but something much more unusual: the abandonment of any serious attempt to have such strategy."

http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2019/01/britain-is-on-brink-of-historic.html

:good: :good: :good:  #bau

Aye, nowt to do with the obdurate Brexiteers demanding that they have their cake and eat it. Despite having no actual strategy for achieving that. The thick cunts will lap up his jingoistic bollocks though 

David Davis still talking shit I see. This document, from the Hoc library, is worth downloading as a summary of where we are at. It's scary. I think there has been some assumptions about the EU27 being cordial even in the event of no deal. Given the absolute cunts our politicians are, I don't think that is a safe assumption to make. 

researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8397/CBP-8397.pdf

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

'Siri, show me some evidence that Tories are awful, awful people'

And yet this misconception remains that it is mainly northern Labour voters who are pro-Brexit. Even in northern constituencies, in the main its tory cunts like CT who voted leave. 

I think this is a real issue for May though and why she might throw us over the cliff to appease her party membership. 

• Like 1

Yup, as I keep saying and said to people I work with after the vote, most of the leave votes came from their friends, neighbours and relatives rathen than Northern protest votes. 

I've seen arguments which go against the prevailing view on here that Labour should be doing better in the polls (which I agree with) that states there's a stubborn 40% or so who remain very pro-leave and that just happens to be what tory support is stuck at. 

Aye, I wish the North East's votes were as powerful and important in general elections as they seem to have been in brexit. 'WELL THAT'S WHAT THEY VOTED FOR!' Already an excuse to fling at us up here for a continuation of neglect that other regions/towns who also voted that way won't get as much of. Boils my piss a bit, actually. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

Aye, I wish the North East's votes were as powerful and important in general elections as they seem to have been in brexit. 'WELL THAT'S WHAT THEY VOTED FOR!' Already an excuse to fling at us up here for a continuation of neglect that other regions/towns who also voted that way won't get as much of. Boils my piss a bit, actually. 

Good point. The tories will weaponise this come the inevitable recession and wipe out of the automative industry. 

"YOU GOT WHAT YOU VOTED FOR YOU NORTHERN PLEBS" 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

Oh just fuck the fuck off. Labour Party policy on Brexit is as fantastic as those of the no deal brigade.

:lol:

Genuinely laughing at this. Jesus titty christ. If there was a GE tomorrow, who the fuck can you vote for?